Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
mascot.gif
Official GBAtemp WODE review
Wii Optical Drive Emulator review

The official GBAtemp WODE review is now online!

The WODE is a hardware-based USB loader solution that allows you to run both Wii and Gamecube games from a portable hard drive. All without the need for any Wii homebrew. It also acts like an ordinary modchip and lets you play burnt discs.

GBAtemp would like to thank OzModChips for providing the review sample. The Australian based modchip store has free shipping for all Australians. GBAtemp members outside of Australia can also get $10 off shipping with the coupon code 'gbatWC'.

The WODE is a unique product with a lot of features and is certainly very ambitious, but how does it actually perform? Check out the review to see how well it stacks up!

icon11.gif
 WODE review
icon11.gif
Official WODE homepage
icon11.gif
Discuss

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice review, but it doesn't mention known problem games such as Metroid Prime Trilogy or Sam and Max. I assume, since this is a proper disc drive emulator and doesn't use the Wii's USB ports, that this runs them just like a retail disc?

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Covarr said:
. I assume, since this is a proper disc drive emulator and doesn't use the Wii's USB ports, that this runs them just like a retail disc?

Correct, no issues with the game at all

Just somethings to add

1. The joysticks are a bit flimsy, but they aren't broken... I can see you took the bottom cover off, to take a picture, the little "Slave" board has moved a little. If you realign it, every direction will work.

2. I have an original NTSC SSBB here, and a rip i made. they both work. I think it might be the wiikey 1 and the wode both sending down signals at the same time?
You can remove the wiikey 1 if you want, or brick it by doing an update and then turning off your wii while its updating (if you dont have a soldering iron). The whole dvd drive doesn't do anything in WODE mode, the normal mode, but when you but it in flat mode, you have the wiikey and the wode competing agaisnt each other
smile.gif

3. Wode firmware updates are unbrickable as far as i know. All you need to do if the update doesn't complete (power failure etc), is update your wode again!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
OzModChips said:
Covarr said:
. I assume, since this is a proper disc drive emulator and doesn't use the Wii's USB ports, that this runs them just like a retail disc?

Correct, no issues with the game at all

Just somethings to add

1. The joysticks are a bit flimsy, but they aren't broken... I can see you took the bottom cover off, to take a picture, the little "Slave" board has moved a little. If you realign it, every direction will work.

2. I have an original NTSC SSBB here, and a rip i made. they both work. I think it might be the wiikey 1 and the wode both sending down signals at the same time?
You can remove the wiikey 1 if you want, or brick it by doing an update and then turning off your wii while its updating (if you dont have a soldering iron). The whole dvd drive doesn't do anything in WODE mode, the normal mode, but when you but it in flat mode, you have the wiikey and the wode competing agaisnt each other
smile.gif

3. Wode firmware updates are unbrickable as far as i know. All you need to do if the update doesn't complete (power failure etc), is update your wode again!
Thanks for the tips! i'll try opening it and realigning the slave board and see if that makes a difference with joystick, the joystick does work but not smoothly. as for ssbb, I emailed the wode team and they are aware of the issue. ssbb wont work on some wii's if autoload is set to on, turning it off fixes it though. they should release an update shortly.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
As mentioned in a post before:

- The joystick isn't great, sometimes it just doesn't work, removing it and repushing it back does work.
Mine doesn't react always on right and down.
- The Wii wobles alot once connected to the stand with the velcro, i used doublesided thin tape and a piece of thick paper on the sides
- The wode doesn't allow you to lay the Wii flat (ok you can, but it's not made for it)
- Minor point, Use of BCA files needed (no internal support)
- No LCD brightness setting :/
- GC controller needed to use the GC menu, else you need to go to the wii and use the wode stand
- USB on the side, the back would have been better.
- Simple text only menu if GC mode is used to control the WODE
- Expensive.

Biggest advantage the wode has:
- GC support through USB
- No software modification needed to run backups of Wii and GC over USB/SD
- No worry to brick your Wii
- (Ripping would be available in future updates, if possible)
- Very easy to update
- Support till now is relative good
smile.gif

* Game compatibility? could be, some games seems to have some stutter, but as far as i tested, all games did run nice (if you don't mind the stutter in the very few games, wich only was seen in cutscenes, but with usbloaders i also didn't have any problems with my games.

If you don't mind messing with the IOS of your Wii, Softmodding has more advantage over the wode:
- Homebrew support
* HBC
* Emulators
* Ripping Discs
* Running Clean BCA game without the need to create a BCA file (it's implemented in the homebrew software loaders)
* No need to open your Wii
* Dumping your NAND
* WiiWare/VC from SD/USB if TriiForce or Sneek is used
* Nicer GUI with USBLoaders (Covers)
- Most other stuff same as wode (USB/SD/NTFS/FAT32/WBFS)
* Disc loading (unless you have a D2-3)
* USB HDD through NTFS/FAT32/WBFS
* SDHC support

So, the best thing is, if you have a WODE or feel the urge to get a WODE, softmod your Wii to, this way you get best of all
biggrin.gif

- GC iso loading from USB HDD (Wode)
- Homebrew and all advantages of it (Softmod)
- Use of Covers and disc images (Softmod)
- NAND Backup (for several usages) (softmod)

Having a relative clean NAND dump (Just bannerbomb for HBC and BootMii) can reset your Wii back to a relative clean state (just remove HBC/BootMii)
(that's why i have several nand dumps)

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks really intriguing. It kinda says quite loudly that "hey my wii is pirated" type thing =/ not too down with that! Dislike the idea of having to remove my wiikey as well, that baby was put in to stay!

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DjoeN said:
As mentioned in a post before:

- The joystick isn't great, sometimes it just doesn't work, removing it and repushing it back does work.
Mine doesn't react always on right and down.
- The Wii wobles alot once connected to the stand with the velcro, i used doublesided thin tape and a piece of thick paper on the sides
- The wode doesn't allow you to lay the Wii flat (ok you can, but it's not made for it)
- Minor point, Use of BCA files needed (no internal support)
- No LCD brightness setting :/
- GC controller needed to use the GC menu, else you need to go to the wii and use the wode stand
- USB on the side, the back would have been better.
- Simple text only menu if GC mode is used to control the WODE
- Expensive.

Biggest advantage the wode has:
- GC support through USB
- No software modification needed to run backups of Wii and GC over USB/SD
- No worry to brick your Wii
- (Ripping would be available in future updates, if possible)
- Very easy to update
- Support till now is relative good
smile.gif

* Game compatibility? could be, some games seems to have some stutter, but as far as i tested, all games did run nice (if you don't mind the stutter in the very few games, wich only was seen in cutscenes, but with usbloaders i also didn't have any problems with my games.

If you don't mind messing with the IOS of your Wii, Softmodding has more advantage over the wode:
- Homebrew support
* HBC
* Emulators
* Ripping Discs
* Running Clean BCA game without the need to create a BCA file (it's implemented in the homebrew software loaders)
* No need to open your Wii
* Dumping your NAND
* WiiWare/VC from SD/USB if TriiForce or Sneek is used
* Nicer GUI with USBLoaders (Covers)
- Most other stuff same as wode (USB/SD/NTFS/FAT32/WBFS)
* Disc loading (unless you have a D2-3)
* USB HDD through NTFS/FAT32/WBFS
* SDHC support

So, the best thing is, if you have a WODE or feel the urge to get a WODE, softmod your Wii to, this way you get best of all
biggrin.gif

- GC iso loading from USB HDD (Wode)
- Homebrew and all advantages of it (Softmod)
- Use of Covers and disc images (Softmod)
- NAND Backup (for several usages) (softmod)

Having a relative clean NAND dump (Just bannerbomb for HBC and BootMii) can reset your Wii back to a relative clean state (just remove HBC/BootMii)
(that's why i have several nand dumps)

That one probably says it all ...

I don't think WODE is for the soft modding typo people. But there are a loooot of people out there that have Wii's but are not familliar with software or are just simply non-technical at all.
wink.gif

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You say its for non-technical people....

I'm far more comfortable following a few software guides then I am opening up my wii and playing with the hardware....

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've already done some softmods, but I'm kinda tired of avoiding updates and downloading the shop channel and its IOS all the time. Mind you, I don't want to go to 4.2, but in case in the future they release a game with 4.2 or a new update that actually has a worthwhile feature in it, I'm stuck.

This review was great timing though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one now. This will be my first major "chipping" project.

My only question is, and this is based on when I took my UMD out of my PSP, how easy is it to open the ribbon cable clips on the Wii? Any recommended methods or tools?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main interesting feature is USB loading for Gamecube games, which is appealing. I wouldn't necessarily buy it just for that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Great review, it's nice to see some more official GBAtemp reviews.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Was waiting for this review ever since it was announced. Too bad it's so expensive, else I could see this getting a real hype.
Very easy to use for non-technical people, who don't understand shit about softmodding.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You still need to open your Wii....

Anyhow, i see the main advantage of this is that it removes the demand to keep up to date on what's going on with the Wii hacking/homebrew scene, when you can just update the WODE firmware and be done. For someone who has no desire to learn about things but isn't cackhanded it's a great option....

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This look cheap. I would have bought one a few years ago before i knew how to do any of this stuff myself, but now that i can do ti myself... i feel like this is an easy and cheap cop out answer to softmodding. And alot less rewarding. You dont get the sense of acomplishment like a soft modder would.

Lol @ little's comment. says my wii's a pirate a little too loud.
imo it looks a little gay too. oh well. im sure people will find this more useful than i will.

Great review!

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Pretty nice idea, but i definately prefer using CFG Loader or USBLoader GX. So much nicer to look at than a tiny lcd screen. And lets not forget having to get up to change games with the joystick.

Softmod ftw!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro