OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Official GBAtemp.net review of the...

Fantastic Noodles - Oriental Flavour

aka: instant noodles, cup noodles, Fantastic Noodles - Oriental Flavor.
Manufactured by: Fantastic Snacks
Review samples supplied by: Some store

By Dirtie - 15th March 2007

Introduction
Today I woke up this morning and decided it was rather chilly so I thought "I need something warm and filling". So I rummaged around to see what I could find.

And what I came across was this:

Official Feature List:
  • Noodles:
  • Wheat flour
  • Vegetable oil [antioxidant (E320)]
  • Salt
    Flavour sachet:
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Oriental flavour
  • Flavour enhancers (E621, E627, E631)
  • Onion powder
  • Hydrolysed vegetable protein (soy, wheat)
  • Soy sauce powder
  • Caramel colour (E150d)
    Vegetable sachet:
  • Dehydrated seasonal vegetables
Packaging and Contents
I found the packaging to be simple yet effective. The styrofoam container had a nice tensile strength to it, making inadvertent damage of the product very difficult. The bright colours easily caught my eye, and it even had a preview picture of what was inside. The top had some nicely layed-out assembly instructions, though I'm not sure if the placing them there was the right decision, seeing as the directions detail that you actually have to partially remove the top, which could make referring back to them a bit tricky. They also included the official feature list right there on the cup, along with detailed technical information of the inner workings of the product (such as Servings Per Package, Fat, Protein, etc. - all when prepared according to directions of course). However, the biggest thing I noticed about the packaging is that it included important health warnings such as "STORE IN A COOL DRY PLACE", "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK, NUTS, SESAME, CRUSTACEA, AND EGG" and "MADE IN AUSTRALIA". With the exception of the lid, it's clear that a new standard of professionalism has been reached with this product in respect to the packaging.

Box Contents
  • Noodles
  • Flavour sachet
  • Vegetable sachet
The first thing I noticed about the contents is that neither the required water, nor a fork are provided. This is quite sloppy in my opinion (or unsloppy depending on your point of view lmbo), and was maybe an attempt to cut costs on the manufacturers behalf. I was quite pleased with the sachets though, as they were each a different colour, and what's more, those colours were relevant to their contents - the colour of the flavouring sachet was brownish-yellow, and the vegetable sachet green - very appropriate. Both the sachets also had zig-zag edges in order to easily access their contents, which is a big plus in my opinion.

Phone cameras are +AWESOME

Setting Up & Using
The instructions may have been easy to read, but they were far from simple. First of all it states "PEEL BACK LID TO THIS LINE" then right beneath it says "Fold back lid half way". Is there a point in repeating the same instruction twice? I think not, especially when the first one is ALREADY IN CAPS. After this is where the issue mentioned earlier came into play, because once I had folded back the lid half way, it obscured my view of the remaining directions - this is a design flaw that surely should've been corrected during the testing phase of the product. With copious amounts of difficulty I managed to get a look at the next instruction: "Add seasoning packs and boiling water to fill". At first I was going to complain about how vague this was (do I just throw the seasoning packs in like they are? how do I boil the water?), before I noticed that there are some diagrams to the side which nicely depict how this should be done - this quite frankly is the saving grace of the directions. The initial part of the next instruction: "Close lid", had me breathing a sigh of relief, with the rest of the directions being straight-forward enough, and you are even instructed to "enjoy" which I thought was a nice touch.

Taste
Just as I finished preparation, I noticed this:

That says "USE BY 25.02.07" which is "02.25.07" to some people
rolleyes.gif

"Uh-oh", I thought, "What will this taste like?"
frown.gif
To my delight I could discern no foulity when the noodles were consumed. The noodles and dried vegetables had absorbed the water nicely, and the overall taste was flavoursome without being overpowering - a rare trait in any product. They were also quite filling (on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd have to say 7) and warm enough to heat me up sufficiently, which was the desired end-result.

Conclusion
In conclusion, I would overall rate Fantastic Noodles - Oriental Flavour quite highly, as they do as advertised and more besides, with just a couple of small things letting them down. As such, they do come highly recommended, even if they are past their use-by date.

Score: 8.3333333333333333.../10

Where to buy?:
- Zealer

Join me next time, when I review "Half-eaten Orange Cake"

This review was written for GBAtemp.net ONLY. The article and all included photos are property of GBAtemp.net and were taken only after I had half-eaten the noodles
rolleyes.gif

Don't email us.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Great review! I always thought we should review more than just flashkits. I was actually thinking of converting GBAtemp into a recipe reviewing website, I'm sure shaun would have loved it.

Edit: OOPS sorry guys. Single post.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LUL, I love the name of the noodles (even though it's stereotypical as hell) : Fantastic Noodles - Oriental Flavour

I can't wait for your review of Awesometastic Tacos: Mexican Flavour

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.