Odd issue with o3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nero99, Feb 14, 2016.

1. nero99
    OP

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    so here it is. I bought a 3ds for parts because of a bad charge port, i know how to fix this. But my question concerns the lcd screen. It looks like it has coffee in the screen it self. The screen still functions normally, but I was wanting to know if it's possible to remove the top layer of the lcd (the hard part of the screen) with out completely screwing up the screen so I can wipe that junk off. Or would I be better off just installing a different screen? I'll post pics of what I am talking about once I'm off work later today/tonight.

2. tigerfrost

tigerfrost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2015
  3. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    No idea. I took it apart, and found that the stain is inside the LCD itself. So yeah, gotta put a new screen in now. It was like the person that sold it for parts dropped it in coffee or something

4. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    This is way more trouble than it's worth, but you actually can open up the LCD and clean out the coffee. When liquid spills on the LCD it leaves stains on the backlight when it dries. You can often clean it off using isopropyl alchohol and a microfiber cloth. It's really hard to do without leaving fingerprints or accidentally trapping dust inside though and since replacement LCDs are so cheap, it's not worth the trouble of trying to clean up the old one.

5. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Already swapped the screen with one from a non working system. But just for fun, I'm going to try this since the screen is junk anyway

6. Octoling

Octoling Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Same place as [INSERT NAME HERE]
    >o3ds

7. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Yeah. I own 4 3ds systems. 3 being the new 3ds (2 jap systems and one USA majoras mask edition). Just wanted to finally fix up my ex's system for her. Good thing I had spare o3ds parts