Oculus Rifts face widespread issue that prevents headsets from functioning

61vilOmXMCL._SX522_.jpg

If you own an Oculus Rift VR headset, you might have noticed that as of today, it won't work, at all. Due to an issue regarding the security certificate of OculusAppFramework.dll, which expired this morning, the headsets can no longer connect to the Oculus Runtime Service, which is a requirement for the Rift to turn on and function. This problem affects all known versions of the Rift, and according to Nate Mitchell, the head of Oculus, the company is aware of the issue, and are working on fixing it as soon as possible. A current workaround involves resetting your PC's clock, and setting it to a date prior to March 7th.

We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution.

UPDATE: At 4AM the next day, the issue was patched.

:arrow: Source

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I don't trust VR. I've stared at the TV before really closely and it makes my eyes act a bit weird for a few moments.

also I'm scared of it.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...I don't trust VR. I've stared at the TV before really closely and it makes my eyes act a bit weird for a few moments.

also I'm scared of it.
It only hurts your eyes because A: Your viewing 2 different images in each eye and B: Your not using the "VR Lenses" that in the all VR Headsets.

You should try buying a cheap google cardboard and seeing if it hurts or not. If not, invest in something like Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. If you havent got a good PC, a PSVR is the next best thing. I own the PSVR and have tried an Oculus. They only hurt
your eyes after pro-longed usage. VR is very cool and has to be seen to be felt as it cannot be described. apart from phone vr which is crappy

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
so oculus needs to have internet and licenses to even work? damn so you cant even turn it on if you dont have internet?
Not necessarily, the Rift headset itself doesn't actually require an internet connection to work. A lot of the "Oculus Rift exclusive" software, however, may require always being online.

So it's kind of like you don't need to be always online to use the Rift, but in order to experience all the software itself, you kinda do. From what I understand, when you're searching for games and software on the Oculus store they will actually point out whether they need an always online connection or not. I imagine most non-Rift exclusive software works just fine without an internet connection.

A shit system, honestly, but it's a bit better than having an always online requirement for the hardware itself I suppose.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not necessarily, the Rift headset itself doesn't actually require an internet connection to work. A lot of the "Oculus Rift exclusive" software, however, may require always being online.

So it's kind of like you don't need to be always online to use the Rift, but in order to experience all the software itself, you kinda do. From what I understand, when you're searching for games and software on the Oculus store they will actually point out whether they need an always online connection or not. I imagine most non-Rift exclusive software works just fine without an internet connection.

A shit system, honestly, but it's a bit better than having an always online requirement for the hardware itself I suppose.
what an awnful way they did to get this to work...

srs an acessory that needs always online checks on exclusive games to even turn on... so they basicaly can kill it when they want to, im guessing when newer model comes out they will discontinue this one by just letting the license expire like they did today?

this is very dangerous using online checks on acessoris is taking this to the extreme, im guessing next gen controllers will have licenses too after 3 or 4 years they expire and you need to buy a new controller for ps4 or xbox...

srs this needs to be stooped now and dont let the rest of the devs come up with this ideas for actual hardware.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If you own an Oculus Rift VR headset, you might have noticed that as of today, it won't work, at all. Due to an issue regarding the security certificate of OculusAppFramework.dll, which expired this morning, the headsets can no longer connect to the Oculus Runtime Service, which is a requirement for the Rift to turn on and function. This problem affects all known versions of the Rift, and according to Nate Mitchell, the head of Oculus, the company is aware of the issue, and are working on fixing it as soon as possible. A current workaround involves resetting your PC's clock, and setting it to a date prior to March 7th.

:arrow: Source
Damn, here I was hoping some Sword Art Online type stuff had happened.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I guess this means Doom for the Oculus Rift, and that isn't just because John Carmack is its CTO. :ninja:

radrom

Content Creator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's horrifying. Part of why I went with Vive though, because they treat their HMD as a peripheral and not a walled garden service.

While this is entirely stupid on Oculus's part to overlook something like this, keep in mind that Oculus can run Vive games without third-party software while Vive can't.

so oculus needs to have internet and licenses to even work? damn so you cant even turn it on if you dont have internet?

The cert check is entirely offline. The certificate is just an offline file that checks your system's clock. If the clock is passed the certified use time, the program to run the Rift stops working because the cert is out of date. This can be rectified by constantly checking Oculus servers for an updated cert, so yes internet is required for that, but it's not all the time AND Oculus should have caught that beforehand.

One small bug and the vive fanboys start making drama

Couldn't have said it better myself.

so in the future when the certs expire you cant use the unit at all? thats lame. What a great way to make your tech useless. make that cert expire in 2146. that should be long enough

These security certs need a valid, short-term date to be kept current. Setting it to 2146 would allow folks to exploit any bugs in the certs and software. Instead of making the certs expire that far ahead, Oculus should instead just make sure they keep them updated in the first place.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While this is entirely stupid on Oculus's part to overlook something like this, keep in mind that Oculus can run Vive games without third-party software while Vive can't.
That's a very nice way to spin it in Oculus' favor. Truth of it is simply that Steam natively supports several HMDs and Oculus Home only natively supports one. Because they're owned by Facebook and Facebook are dicks.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...