Octopath Traveler to no longer be a Switch exclusive, confirmed for PC release this summer

bj8LrDK22OZxd9bhupraoJ7PO3zDyX2m.jpg

Last week, we covered the Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee rating Square Enix's Octopath Traveler for release on a new platform. According to the listing, the game would be losing its Nintendo Switch exclusivity, and would be available to play on PC later this year. Those details have now been confirmed, although it appears that things weren't supposed to be announced this early. Square Enix posted a now-deleted blog entry on their site, advertising that Octopath Traveler would launch on Steam on June 7th. Though the post mentioned being able to pre-order the game, there's no way to do so yet, probably because the page wasn't supposed to go live just yet. Originally, Octopath Traveler released for the Nintendo Switch in July of last year, earning critical acclaim for its throwback turn-based gameplay and visual style. You can learn more about it by checking out GBAtemp's official review of the game, here.

We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.

The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.

What is Octopath Traveler about?

Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:

• Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
  • Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
  • Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
  • Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
  • Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
  • Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
  • Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
  • H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.

For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.

Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.

Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.

It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.

Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.

How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?

Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!

:arrow: Source: Wayback Machine

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
As I said before, it's wonderful that PC players get an equal opportunity to experience mediocrity.

There's a reason it had a massive hype train for switch and then silence within days of it releasing.
Yeah I remember when it was released people are saying it's really2x good and on par with the classic ff then a month later nobody even remember it existed. Lol!

Reactions: Hells Malice

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bought the lovely soundtrack, that kept me going.

The secret Boss fight was insane, even on level 99.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah! I knew it! It's Square after all! They will port this shit to everything they can, to make dat sweet money! They're probably going to port it to mobile next.

I actually said that Square is going to port this to other platforms last year, and the response I got was "NEVER EVER". :D

Also, I downloaded the game to my Switch, and never played it, because I remembered how much I hate random battles.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah! I knew it! It's Square after all! They will port this shit to everything they can, to make dat sweet money! They're probably going to port it to mobile next.

I actually said that Square is going to port this to other platforms last year, and the response I got was "NEVER EVER". :D

Also, I downloaded the game to my Switch, and never played it, because I remembered how much I hate random battles.
Mind you Nintendo will to have to license their localizations, which seems to be case for PC port.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
It’s an amazing game. I normally don’t like turn based RPGs.
I like turn based rpgs so much, i played the demo and i was so excited, the game was ok for the first few hours, and i was expecting a huge story that unite the 8 characters, but i was started to get bored in chapter 2 and i was forcing myself to play it until i reached chapter 3, but the game still the same, boring story, repetitive battle system, same music over and over, so i gave up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves