Octopath Traveler to no longer be a Switch exclusive, confirmed for PC release this summer

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 11, 2019.

Front-page
    bj8LrDK22OZxd9bhupraoJ7PO3zDyX2m.

Last week, we covered the Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee rating Square Enix's Octopath Traveler for release on a new platform. According to the listing, the game would be losing its Nintendo Switch exclusivity, and would be available to play on PC later this year. Those details have now been confirmed, although it appears that things weren't supposed to be announced this early. Square Enix posted a now-deleted blog entry on their site, advertising that Octopath Traveler would launch on Steam on June 7th. Though the post mentioned being able to pre-order the game, there's no way to do so yet, probably because the page wasn't supposed to go live just yet. Originally, Octopath Traveler released for the Nintendo Switch in July of last year, earning critical acclaim for its throwback turn-based gameplay and visual style. You can learn more about it by checking out GBAtemp's official review of the game, here.

:arrow: Source: Wayback Machine

Discussion (29 replies)
  1. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    It's a boring game anyway

SushiKing and Hells Malice like this.
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Was it ever meant to be exclusive? This is square enix we talking about. :creep:

Souliousery, Vorde, Xzi and 2 others like this.
  3. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    It’s an amazing game. I normally don’t like turn based RPGs.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When I bought it I already knew it would not be a Switch exclusive for long.

AngryCookie likes this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Doubt it was meant to be from the start. :creep:

leafeon34 likes this.
  5. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Only on steam ? if this was on epic store there would be huge riot... oh the irony.

Souliousery and Ev1lbl0w like this.
  6. Konathedemo

Konathedemo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    France
    "Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!"
    Not only Steam. (also don't forget the grey maket key resellers)

Memoir likes this.
  7. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    epic store-only games are paid to be that way, there is a contract actively barring you to publish the game elsewhere for a set time amount; steam-only games are a choice by the developers to not invest in other platforms, for whatever reason they may have. there is no irony, this is a complete false equivalency.

Lucifer666 and Shadowfied like this.
  8. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    We've been through this a lot of times that there are big differences that make the Epic Games Store the least favorable option compared to ANYTHING, even Origin and Uplay.

Btw, the game also releases on the Square Enix Store.

However, I can wait until it gets ported to any console in existance and their grandmother.

NORBIN likes this.
  9. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    So petty... And completely missing the point of it all... No surprise.

Xzi and Armadillo like this.
  10. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    SonyStans on suicide watch.

11. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    ftfy

whateverg1012 and DeslotlCL like this.
  12. LunaWofl

LunaWofl Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    LunaWofl is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 10, 2010
    Antarctica
    Wherever Yakity sax plays
    Now I feel glad that I waited ^w^ totally gonna add this to my tiny steam library. Though, this is square enix... I wonder how the port is gonna be =q=; they dont exactly have a good track record.

Darksabre72, Chary and Mr. Looigi like this.
  13. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    octopath traveller to me feels like a 3ds game. It wouldve been perfect for the 3ds and not the switch.

14. Godofcheese

Godofcheese GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    The difference here being is that square did this on their own free will.
    No deal, what we know of, that is not valves thing.
    Square is 100% allowed to release it on GOG too.
    But why? more people use Steam than GOG, but having options is always a good thing tbh.

15. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    only first party games would be exclusive.(well.... multi-platform first party games still count as somewhat exclusive, since it's nintendo only:D)

16. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Pretty fun game and completed it a while back but would probably turn off a lot of people since the game can be grindy and confusing at times.

17. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    Adapting the game to the 3DS would have been very challenging. It would have to be built on a different unique game engine and undergo substantial visual downgrades.

Despite its seemingly retro aesthetic, the game is actually built on Unreal Engine 4 and uses some fairly advanced graphical techniques. The 3DS doesn't support Unreal 4 or many of the game's more advanced graphical effects.

I do think the game would look quite cool in stereoscopic 3D however. The visuals kind of remind me of miniature diorama scenes. I expect there will be unofficial mods to implement VR support. I don't have a VR headset, but i've got a 3D projector and am interested in trying it on it.

And besides the resolution upgrade and perhaps some other additional options to make the game look cleaner, hopefully the PC port also supports higher framerates. The Switch version was locked at 30fps. It was a turn based RPG and the 30fps cap didn't really hinder the experience. But 60 (or above) is still just looks and feels better as a general rule.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

One of the core policies behind GOG is an opposition to DRM (at least as far as I'm aware, I'm not sure how all-encompassing this is across their entire game library). This policy is almost certainly the reason why Square Enix doesn't release their games on GOG, not because Steam has a larger user base.

Square Enix are huge supporters of DRM. This includes Denuvo, which has been used in almost all of their newer PC releases for the past several years. They've even been retroactively adding in DRM to some of their existing digital releases that didn't previously have it. Recently they updated the Steam ports of FF X and X-2 to require an always online connection to play them.

Last edited by granville, Apr 12, 2019
    grey72, bomigoton, Xzi and 2 others like this.
  18. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Considering all the games SE is bring to PC, I wonder if they will one day port FFCC to PC as well. It would be wonderful given the multiplayer.

19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    As I said before, it's wonderful that PC players get an equal opportunity to experience mediocrity.

There's a reason it had a massive hype train for switch and then silence within days of it releasing.