Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
500x_lbpastro.jpg
QUOTE said:
The White House is announcing today a program to improve science and math education with a variety of Entertainment Software Association-backed initiatives including a program to put LittleBigPlanet in libraries as well as a $300,000 game design challenge.

President Barack Obama announced the overarching directive that the gaming plans are part of at a White House press conference that furthers the Administration's commitment to its STEM program, an initiative for focusing on science, technology engineering and math education. The new push is dubbed "Educate to Innovate."

Among the participating private-backed initiatives that are part of the program, according to a run-down in the New York Times, is a two-year focus on science on Sesame Street, a commercial-free science programming commitment by the Discovery Channel, a new website backed by Time Warner Cable, as well as a variety of video game initiatives.

"Our industry's lifeblood is the energy and innovation of new, emerging developers," Michael Gallagher, president of the Entertainment Software Association, the industry's lobbying group, said in a press release today. "To create the next generation's epic titles and incredibly immersive storylines, we need America's youth to have strategic and analytic thinking skills along with complex problem solving abilities. It is my hope that it will produce games that will have a lasting impact on the STEM skills our nation's students so desperately need."

The Sony LittleBigPlanet initiative, Game Changers, is part of a $2 million 2010 Digital Media and Learning Competition funded by the MacArthur foundation. It involves Sony donating 1000 PlayStation 3s and copies of LittleBigPlanet to libraries and community organizations. Participants will strive to create levels that involve science, technology, engineering and math.

A second program, called the Stem National Video Game Competition, was also announced. It is a three-pronged $300,000 contest encouraging entrants to create the best browser video games that teach the STEM disciplines for a trio of age ranges: 4-8, 8-12 and 12-16. This competition is intended to reach "historically underserved populations including girls and minority students," according to an ESA press release. Specifics for this contest will be announced in early 2010, with winners showcased at E3 in June.

The gaming initiatives announced today are backed by the Information Technology Industry Council, an advocacy group. Microsoft and the Games4Change group are also both involved in these plans, according to the ESA release.

More details about both contests will be announced in the next few weeks, according to the ESA.
Source

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wait a minute. Obama IS a PS3 fanboy, he's always complaining about kids and the XBox and now he's starting something with Sony!!!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see what Obama is doing...

Let me get this straight, they are creating levels for LBP to teach: Math, Science, and Engineering? If thats the case, then I might enjoy doing LBP...

Anyways, lets keep video games on the consoles to a minimal amount of learning (after all thats what leapster is for
nyanya.gif
). I want to have fun, while maybe learning a new word or two (no I don't play GTA
nyanya.gif
).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for my Barack Obama sackboy.

I wouldn't say this is "educational", though. I would have thought they should put the Sims in schools. It teaches kids how to balance a budget (well, somewhat) as well as adult life. Or, if you live in underprivelaged areas, Grand Theft Auto makes a good substitute.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here