O3DS XL Right Hinge

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by wiiando, Jul 25, 2016.

1. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Has a crack in the right side of the console hinge for a while never had any issues until yesterday.

Now has come away completely, do I just need the top bottom half of the housing to be replaced?

Anyone able to comment how difficult it is to replace too.

[​IMG]

2. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
  3. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the offer but i'm not in the US, just the bottom needs replacing like this one [​IMG]

4. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    yes, part like that is the only thing you need to get it fixed, and make sure not to lose the axle hinge lock that's in the broken piece

wiiando likes this.
  5. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States

Thanks it's a bit of a frankenstein 3ds anyway, missing the 3d slider, got it cheap last year so i've had my use at least at £25/$35 if I break it

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Is it even worth replacing the shell when it was that cheap?
    Some superglue should hold the hinge together well enough, just make sure you don't glue it stuck in one position. Literally a 2 minute fix that can give you many more years of enjoyment out of the thing without spending much time and money. Or until you buy a n3DS :P
    If you're still going to replace the shell then you might as well replace the slider too.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 25, 2016
  7. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I'd recommend getting some epoxy glue. Some are messy 2 component but you can find some pre-catalysed stuff that dries with ultraviolet light. The uv light comes with the kit btw and should only be around $20.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

8. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States

I've tried super glue already, just doesn't seem to hold it, i've got a n3ds coming, just I think it's a demo unit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302023085750 worth a shot at £51/$70

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There are different types of superglue, I'm not sure which is the best to use for this, but you can get superglue that is powerful enough to literally lift a car so I'm pretty sure that if you can find the right type for the job it will hold together well.

10. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States

Ye, I ended up getting some Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel, seems to have done the trick, not the prettiest job but works fine now and full movement is restored :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Spoke too soon, gone again, reading round it seems acetone might be the best, as it melts ABS plastics, possibly melt them back together?

12. DustingtonZDX

DustingtonZDX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2016
    United States
    It's worse on my end...

Attached Files:

13. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    No chance this will hold with Any type of glue... Repair it properly or let it be done. A experienced Person does this without problems but for sure not for free. But before something else brakes...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

14. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    You could go the lazy and kind of messy route and use a small amount of gorilla glue and let it set over night with a small amount of pressure holding the the hinge in place. But it's always best to just have replacement parts ordered

15. wiiando
    OP

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Ye, think i'm going to attempt the repair at some point and just make do for now.

Was going to try epoxy next, just can't see it holding, as it's part of a moving part