Hacking O3DS XL on 4.3 with Gateway 3DS on 11.2 --> Luma3DS

adao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi all

I've spent the last few hours reading about Luma3ds and A9LH etc, mainly as I have a O3DS XL with gateway emunand installed (to 11.2) but cannot play my Pokémon sun as it gives the message game card has been removed.

I saw on another thread that it can be played but mentions use of Luma3DS and CFW which I have never done before.

I've got the link to the guide to install Luma3DS but just have a few questions if anyone can help?

If I install Luma3DS will gateway still be installed?
Can I still access the gateway emunand?
Should I transfer my gateway emunand to the new CFW I install? - are there any particular benefits?
Is gateway still useful if I install Luma3DS? e.g. For roms/backups I have on the micro sd?

Just worried I do anything wrong that I lose my NNID account or generally screw up updating/installing things on my 3ds

Thanks!

adao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I do apolgise if ive asked things that people already have already.

I am actually still trying to read up as much as possible...

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hi all

I've spent the last few hours reading about Luma3ds and A9LH etc, mainly as I have a O3DS XL with gateway emunand installed (to 11.2) but cannot play my Pokémon sun as it gives the message game card has been removed.

I saw on another thread that it can be played but mentions use of Luma3DS and CFW which I have never done before.

I've got the link to the guide to install Luma3DS but just have a few questions if anyone can help?

If I install Luma3DS will gateway still be installed?
Can I still access the gateway emunand?
Should I transfer my gateway emunand to the new CFW I install? - are there any particular benefits?
Is gateway still useful if I install Luma3DS? e.g. For roms/backups I have on the micro sd?

Just worried I do anything wrong that I lose my NNID account or generally screw up updating/installing things on my 3ds

Thanks!
Yes and no, you have to use Gateway's own "arm9loaderhax.bin" to boot into Gateway Mode (SysNAND or EmuNAND).
Yeah, if you have an EmuNAND, Gateway will ALWAYS boot automatically to EmuNAND
You can use Luma3DS with your existing EmuNAND, but if you want, you can just transfer your EmuNAND to SysNAND (you can freely update your SysNAND after a9lh installation). The only benefit is to save storage on your microSD.
Yes and no, because when you install Luma3DS, you can then install freeshop and download any games you want from it (they'll save on the 3DS's microSD). The only drawback is that the Home Menu has a limit of 300 apps, so that's one point to still use Gateway.

You can go to my Profile and see the posts I had made (the first ones) if you want to know more about a9lh (I was a completely noob back then, but now I have the ultimate 3DS (N3DS+EmuNAND+Gateway+Luma3DS+a9lh+BootCTR9+Dual 64GB microSDs))

Last edited by Hyoretsu,
Reactions: adao

adao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and no, you have to use Gateway's own "arm9loaderhax.bin" to boot into Gateway Mode (SysNAND or EmuNAND).
You can use Luma3DS with your existing EmuNAND, but if you want, you can just transfer your EmuNAND to SysNAND (you can freely update your SysNAND after a9lh installation). The only benefit is to save storage on your microSD.
Yes and no, because when you install Luma3DS, you can then install freeshop and download any games you want from it (they'll save on the 3DS's microSD). The only drawback is that the Home Menu has a limit of 300 apps, so that's one point to still use Gateway.

You can go to my Profile and see the posts I had made (the first ones) if you want to know more about a9lh (I was a completely noob back then, but now I have the ultimate 3DS (N3DS+EmuNAND+Gateway+Luma3DS+a9lh+BootCTR9+Dual 64GB microSDs))

Thanks for replying to my post. I'm going to try and install all this now. Hopefully it all goes smoothly!

Reactions: Hyoretsu

adao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

One thing i'm worried about having just started the process.

My original SD card (only 4gb) which has the gateway launcher.dat file

am i supposed to use the same SD card for the steps in https://3ds.guide/?

or am i supposed to use a new SD card to do the installation?

If i try to use my old 4gb SD card, i dont have enough space to put some of the files when following the guide. But i'm unsure if i can still transfer my NNID and data from the emunand over once i'e installed the CFW if i use a new sd card:S

Last edited by adao,

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One thing i'm worried about having just started the process.

My original SD card (only 4gb) which has the gateway launcher.dat file

am i supposed to use the same SD card for the steps in https://3ds.guide/?

or am i supposed to use a new SD card to do the installation?

If i try to use my old 4gb SD card, i dont have enough space to put some of the files when following the guide. But i'm unsure if i can still transfer my NNID and data from the emunand over once i'e installed the CFW if i use a new sd card:S
Wait, you're not following Plailect's? Follow hers: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/get-started. You basically have to downgrade to 2.1 through Decrypt9WIP and run the a9lh installer.

EDIT: Just saw that https://3ds.guide/? is the new url for Plailect's. Anyways, 4GB should be fine to finish the installation. Remember: you don't need the 2.1 downgrade files after you're on 2.1.

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If i try to use my old 4gb SD card, i dont have enough space to put some of the files when following the guide.
I recently made the jump to a9lh on one of my old3DS units (same 4.x Gateway setup) for the exact reason you are.

As far as space goes, you'll only need about 1GB for the entire process. Your NAND backup is ~950mb, move that to you PC for safe keeping. The 2.1 CTR transfer file is ~780mb, it can be deleted once you've made the downgrade to 2.1, then copy back your NAND backup when you're ready to restore it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1