Hardware o2ds hardmods

yeetbob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have this o2ds that has many problems (charger port needs replaced, volume slider needs replaced, as well as the sleep mode switch) that ive had since like 2014, and i love doing electrical mods and such and i was wandering if anyone had some cool ideas of hard-mods i could do. one in particular i was thinking about doing is replacing the charge port with micro usb

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have this o2ds that has many problems (charger port needs replaced, volume slider needs replaced, as well as the sleep mode switch) that ive had since like 2014, and i love doing electrical mods and such and i was wandering if anyone had some cool ideas of hard-mods i could do. one in particular i was thinking about doing is replacing the charge port with micro usb
Reason the charge port is priatery is to prevent frying the system so replace it with another port of same kind

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
About that idea for micro-USB as charging port: Because simple adapter cables/plugs exist many people already use USB for powering their DS systems without having soldered in a different connector. I have seen a discussions about the nominal 4.6V on official chargers compared to 5.0V on USB (-chargers).
Higher voltage might damage the battery.”
No! Charging IC has voltage regulator – and batteries should have their own protection circuit!”

Higher voltage could exceed the tolerances of the charging IC.”
I have been charging my 3DS for years exclusively with USB chargers and nothing bad happened!”
I personally tend to stay on the complete safe side and only use the official charger. But… curious as I am and owning a damaged O3DSXL demoted to a test console I did some tests. Using the official charging cradle SPR-007 I hooked up some wires to the connectors and measured the voltage of:
  • Official charger
  • Cable with USB type-A plug → propriety Nintendo plug connected to
    • Computer (USB 3.0)
    • Dedicated USB charger, max output 2.5A
There was not much difference in voltage when idle (Nintendo 4.95V, USB both about 5.1V) and when connecting a small light bulb (Nintendo 4.6V, USB 4.7V on the computer and 4.8V on the charger). Connecting the O3DSXL for charging and turning it on to have some more power consumption made no difference compared to the light bulb. I would say my computer and this specific charger are pretty safe for the 3DS systems. On the other side: The official one is there… so… why?

:!: Depending on what (possibly bad) charger one uses the results could be completely different. According to USB [Wikipedia] the specifications allow 5.00V +0.25V/-0.6V. If a charger stays above 5V this might actually exceed the tolerances in DS systems. I cannot judge this.

I bricked my SPR-007 after the tests (by accidentally shorting the connected wires for a split second). I considered this charging cradle to be just an adapter… but nooooo. It has an additional micro fuse on a very small PCB.

yeetbob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember seeing someone hardmod a Circle pad pro to the old 2ds quite some time ago.
yeah, id like to do that as well,only now i have a problem, when i was smaller, i tried to take it apart,but only accomplished stripping the screws so bad the crosses are completely round

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The official one is there… so… why?

mostly just to mess around with electronics, i recently got a n2dsxl, so i dont care about the o2ds

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mostly just to mess around with electronics, i recently got a n2dsxl, so i dont care about the o2ds
Okay. If you are doing it for fun and learning and accept the risks… why not?
Being GBAtemps "Backup Reminder" I ask you to backup your saves from the O2DS – if there are any you care for.
Experiments can have bad results (%&§"&/"§& mirco fuse) – a worn console destroyed while messing with it can be replaced. Personal data not.

Reactions: Alexander1970

yeetbob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. If you are doing it for fun and learning and accept the risks… why not?
Being GBAtemps "Backup Reminder" I ask you to backup your saves from the O2DS – if there are any you care for.
Experiments can have bad results (%&§"&/"§& mirco fuse) – a worn console destroyed while messing with it can be replaced. Personal data not.
yeah

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: BORN 2 GAME FORCED 2 PAY