Hardware Nyko to show new peripheral at e3

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is portable does not mean it fits in your pocket. You said it's not portable at all, which means there's no way you can take it with you. If you'd said 'far too bulky to fit in your pocket' then there'd have been no issue. But you insinuated that there's no way you can take the 3DS anywhere once the CPP is attached.
Now you're just being nitpicky with words. Not to mention, that still makes no sense. Following that logic, the Gamecube is portable, cuz I can attach the battery pack and mini screen to it, and keep it in my backpack along with a controller. But if you told anyone that made the gamecube a portable gaming device, they would tell you you were crazy. Just because it's TECHNICALLY portable doesn't mean it's practically so.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlvFrt0oqo

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Wait...what? Have you ever seen a Game Gear?

People like you have lost touch with reality of what portable means. It means you can take it with you. Just because you can't fit it in your pocket, it does not mean it's not portable.

/rant
In true @zantigo style, I'll break down your comment into sections... :ha:

1) Holds modern portables to the standards of a 20 year old not-especially-commercially-successful one.
2) Calls me out of touch with reality :blink:

Of course 20 years ago, fitting in your pocket wasn't possibly, simply because of the technology of the time (same with the Gameboy). Heck, cell phones around that time were big, bulky pieces of junk that you had to fit into carrying cases. But technology has improved since then, as have expectations. Now, phones are expected to fit in your pocket (even ones designed to be large, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note). And starting with the DS Lite, same thing with portable gaming devices.

Face it, Nintendo made a huge oversight, no denying it: The 3DS didn't have dual analogs, and as soon as Nintendo saw the Vita would have them and that companies like Capcom and left-handed players would WANT decent controls in games that called for them, they released a too-little-too-late clunky add-on that's impractical beyond belief.

Sure, the CPP a handy device, no denying that. It makes the 3DS arguably comfier to hold, and adds nice functionality. But the problem is, the 3DS shouldn't HAVE to need a clunky add-on for such buttons. If someone wants a comfort grip, fine, they can buy one. But it's absolutely outrageous that you need something that greatly hinders the portability of the 3DS (anyone who denies it at least HINDERS it is in complete denial) and throws the 3D screen off center just to have such basic functionality that should have been there in the first place.

Personally, I'm a college student who (at least during the school year) carries his backpack everywhere, so the CPP actually wouldn't be THAT much of a hassle for me. But it's still a complete irritant, especially since you have to shift your arms to the right JUST to see the screen on center.

If you have no problem with it, fine, more power to you. But don't go around acting like it's a given fact that YOU'RE right and the CPP can't possibly be annoying and impractical to many people who think differently. So who's out of touch with reality again?

Wow. *clap* no, really. Bravo. You took my post and read so far into it, that you assume I was actually defending the CPP. Congratulations on your extremely long-winded response that doesn't even begin to touch on what I was trying to say. Other posters have tried to explain it, but the point is lost on you, so I'll just leave it at that. There's really not much I can say other than stammer and stare slack-jawed at your gargantuan wall of nonsense.

Reactions: 3 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't be so sure about that. :unsure:

*Video*
Lol, that's pretty cool. But I'm talking about a regular unmodded gamecube, using the 3rd party battery pack and mini folding screen (which does exist, awesomely enough).

Of course, my ultimate dream would be for someone to make a similar battery pack for the Wii U that way I could put it in my backpack and take it with me to use the tablet controller as a handheld on the go... but that's a different issue entirely. :ha:

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
But including a second analog slider would have greatly increased the size of the 3DS, if you open up one you'll notice that there simlpy isn't room for one.
The 3DS is about the same size as a DS lite and I don't want it to go anywhere above that since it would be a lot harder for me to bring it with me.

And really, the only type of game that would benefit from that are FPS's, but even then it's much easier for me to control it using the touch screen, I played Revelations on that thing using my right hand thumb to control the camera, I don't see why people thought a 2nd analog was necessary for that game. Same goes for Kid Icarus, but even more so since in that game it's practically impossible to control and successfully play with two sliders, I played that game the same way, with my right hand thumb on the screen only difference is that I used a plastic piece called a thylus that I attached to my thumb for accuracy.

Bottomline, Nintendo made the right decision because it actually makes it portable for me as in take it with you wherever you go.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Custom 3DS cases >.>; Cmon you know u want one. (Is there anywhere that sells them already, and is it as easy as the ds lite ones?)
you mean the actually housing of the device? Not that I know of.

Personally though, I think it's more practical to use skins... and there's tons of cool skins available.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Custom 3DS cases >.>; Cmon you know u want one. (Is there anywhere that sells them already, and is it as easy as the ds lite ones?)
you mean the actually housing of the device? Not that I know of.

Personally though, I think it's more practical to use skins... and there's tons of cool skins available.
Yeah, and another thing is quality, I doubt that replacement housings would be made of the same kind of shock, scratch and smudge resistant resin. I remember Nintendo saying that it took them a while to get it right.

I mean, I've had my 3DS since forever and I still haven't scratched anything except for the bottom battery plate. I think it's made out of a different material and it can be cured with some scratch remover polish, but I haven't bothered with that yet.
I recently got a transparent skin now just in case, but still my top screen is scratch free and the plate with the face buttons is in mint condition despite heavy use.
It's so easy to wipe grime off compared to other devices with shiny surfaces. At first I was afraid to move away from a matte finish but now I don't want to go back.

My point is that I don't think we ever will see third party housing replacements, it's too difficult to replace for the average joe.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My point is that I don't think we ever will see third party housing replacements, it's too difficult to replace for the average joe.
Agreed... I think we might see that kind of stuff from smaller companies on sites like Play Asia eventually, but not commercially from companies like Nyko.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe something that slots over the topscreen to make the 3D viewable at ANY angle? im not sure how something like that would work but hell, if they managed to pull off something like that then id buy it.

Better (slimmer) battery that slots in nicely without compromising the feel of the 3DS would be an instant buy for me and if they managed to find a case that has a 2nd analog that slides just under the ABXY buttons then that would be great.

All 3 = SOLD!
That's what I immediately thought. Like you said, I have no idea how they would do that....

I'm guessing either:
1) Something to make viewing the 3D easier (Like said above)
2) Slimmer Circle Pad Pro accessory
3) Circle Pad Pro accessory that is also a case. Or a case that fits' over the CPP or something.
4) Circle Pad Pro with battery attachment bulit in.

Most likely either 2 or 4.
All of the above, but it also needs to be squishy so it's more comfortable to hold :3

Reactions: 1 person

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could make a slimmer battery extended while adding a few centimeters to the side with a smaller part to lay ontop of the space blow the buttons with an additional Circle Pad attachment. The wiring could be held blow the 3DS itself.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed... I think we might see that kind of stuff from smaller companies on sites like Play Asia eventually, but not commercially from companies like Nyko.

I...don't think technology can do this yet...without glasses.

D

Deleted User

340x.jpg

or
340x.gif

Reactions: 8 people

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Nyko is a troll. I still want my Shock N Rock, and Nyko will remain a troll until it materializes. but i want a better Shock N Rock. I don't want one draining on the already miserable battery life of the 3DS, so it's gotta be a battery pack as well.

Also, i want a 2nd analog that pulls out from under the Shock N Rock on the lower right hand side and flips over just below the ABXY buttons, covering the power button. it's a slide pad, it's thin, it could work. but the quality would probably be questionable on this one.

I want it all to fold on itself, with a shockproof exterior that has a rubbery grip.

screw the better 3D screen, there's just no way without active face tracking. the only better way would be to wear glasses, and that's not gonna happen.

and i want access to the goddamn stylus and game cart while it's attached. no compromises on this one. access, or can it.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1