NXMP Nintendo Switch Media Player

nxmp-banner.jpg

NXMP is an open-source Nintendo Switch media player based on MPV and FFMPEG, supporting a wide range of media file formats and codecs.
NXMP is coded by @proconsule54 and @darkxex

It support HTTP,FTP,SFTP,Samba,NFS streaming and it also support Enigma2 decoders. Starting from 0.7.0 Version it features HW Decoding for H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2 up to 4K HDR@30fps

NXMP it's on early versions and active dev state so expect any kind of bugs, anyways it's fully functional and tested before every release

Project repository|Stable Build
Stable: v0.9.0

Features:
  • HW Decoding (since v0.7.0) for (H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2)
  • Extense support of media file formats and codecs, including audio too as well​
  • Touch and controller support, control the MP as you want​
  • Video deinterlace support
  • Advanced image settings, configure the brightness and color options, change aspect ratio and rotate the screen​
  • Custom subtitles, you can configure options like color, text size and position to your preferences​
  • Full sound EQ, allow adjust the sound equalizer to your preferences, you can define presets too​
  • Chapters navigator with titles support​
  • Selector of Video/Audio/Subtitle tracks during play​
  • Playlist queue, allow to enque desired files on a playlist for non-stop play​
  • Resume play, you can continue your videos where you previusly stop it​
  • Watch status, watched videos are marked as green on file explorer​
  • Shadermania, you can apply any shader compatible with MPV to NXMP​

Media sources supported:
  • Nintendo Switch SD Card
  • USB drive attached to dock or Switch with USB C adapter (FAT, NTFS and EXT4, up to 32 drives)
  • HTTP/S files through network
  • FTP and SFTP files
  • Samba (SMB) files shared throught network
  • NFS
  • Enigma2 (allow to view TV channel from satellite decoders compatible with this protocol)

Screenshoots:

2021110300034400.jpg2021110300031500.jpg2021110300032100.jpg2021110300023000.jpg

Post here any kind of bug/suggestions.
Enjoy!

Thanks to libusbhsfs https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/libusbhsfs for USB drives support
Thanks to @averne for HW Decoding FFMpeg! and for many many hints
Thanks to @bodyXY for the banner and the icons!
Thanks to @Godorowski for player UI design and releated icons
Thanks to @Chocola for beta testing a player guide

Last edited by proconsule54,

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The WiiU build of NXMP can be done, with limited functions (no hevc of course) an without network support (for now)
i am facing problems with video output (GX2 port for mpv and imgui) but nothing impossible.

The problems here is that i don't have a WiiU (big problem) and i dont wont to buy one (i am a poor guy).
Maybe someone can do a crowdfunding for gettinga wiiu for devel process.....

Reactions: ploggy

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Perhaps you could test some devel wiiu build inside cemu or decaf. Not to say, many gbatempers would happily test it.
cemu is not useful, it fails also on a test program, i need to devel a never done porting i need a trusted HW to test it, i know that many users can help with test but in the initial phase i need to do 10000000 test in no time to have some result.

So the WiiU port is in stall without an HW to continue the devel process, sorry. i can't do miracle,
I need a WiiU (also if has broken DVD i dont care) but that can just run for Homebrew for continue (and update) the port.

Last edited by proconsule54,

bbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I dont think so, i'll have to test it, is the same file works on a player like VLC?
on pc it plays well. then i transfer the videos to usb and play on switch. But videos gets pixelated. 1080p Videos gets a minor pixelated in moving scene. 720p gets pixelated most of the time. just downloaded some music videos and some video game playthrough.

Reactions: proconsule54

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
on pc it plays well. then i transfer the videos to usb and play on switch. But videos gets pixelated. 1080p Videos gets a minor pixelated in moving scene. 720p gets pixelated most of the time. just downloaded some music videos and some video game playthrough.

It's problem related with the program that you use to download and encode Youtube videos, upload one file to test.

To download videos from youtube I recomend youtube-dl.

I test NXMP on every release and I have my own media library with various formats and didn't get pixelated, including on bad wifi signal all play fine.

bbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's problem related with the program that you use to download and encode Youtube videos, upload one file to test.

To download videos from youtube I recomend youtube-dl.

I test NXMP on every release and I have my own media library with various formats and didn't get pixelated, including on bad wifi signal all play fine.
I'll try to check youtube-dl. because i've been using 4kdownloader to download youtube videos.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'll try to check youtube-dl. because i've been using 4kdownloader to download youtube videos.

If you need a GUI for youtube-dl, youtube-dl-gui it's a crossplatform and simple but powerfull UI.

I try a lot of converters/downloaders before and have issues like you, pixels on fast movements, low quality audio... and on some cases glitches with green squares or green bars, with youtube-dl didn't have any problem for now and you have a lot of options to download your needs.

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i saw the video on switch and win32 port of NXMP seems a lot more pixelated than on vlc.
I think that is due to the deblocking filter used by HW decoder that makes the video looks better on pc.
The win32 port of NXMP i use is intentional without HW Decoder and wothout fileters ( so it can act just the same as the switch) and show some pixelate.

So the video IS pixelated but the filters mitigated it a bit.

Reactions: bbert and Chocola

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
i saw the video on switch and win32 port of NXMP seems a lot more pixelated than on vlc.
I think that is due to the deblocking filter used by HW decoder that makes the video looks better on pc.
The win32 port of NXMP i use is intentional without HW Decoder and wothout fileters ( so it can act just the same as the switch) and show some pixelate.

So the video IS pixelated but the filters mitigated it a bit.

Yes, because VLC have postprocessing filters that make low quality videos seems better, but if the video it's on good quality don't should be pixelated on switch.

On my own experience, the most majority of YT downloaders reduce a lot the quality of the video and have a lot of encode errors.

With the program that I say before didn't should have any problem, including on NXMP without HW postprocessing filters.

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been having a major issue with V0.6 that i never faced in V0.5, I thought someone else would have reported it but apparently not, so here we go:

after using it a bit it gets VERY laggy on any of its menus. like, it would wait literal seconds to move after you press a direction, and would only move one folder at a time and then pause before moving to the next one and so on. that is only solved by quitting the program and reopening it. even worse though is that it can crash the whole switch (atmosphere crash). that happened to me 4 times already this week. what happens is that it randomly and out of nowhere goes to the homebrew menu, and if you try to close the homebrew menu the whole switch crashes. Frequent crashes to the whole system is a very worrying thing, and I would really appreciate if you fixed it alongside the extreme lag (pretty sure they are related).

also
Arabic and Cyrilic font support will be in next version,
(i dont know what i wrote, sorry if is something offensive, i dont know....)

For Chinese and Japanese i need a new ttf file since the one i use don't support it.
But i am working also on it.

View attachment 288895
The thing is, unlike European languages, arabic connects the letters to make words instead of just writing one letter after another. what I mean is that letters in a word not only connect to each other but many of them have different shapes when connected. So what you did might show one letter after another of the file's name, but it is still almost unreadable to any arabic speaker. I have attached an image as an example of how words actually look like.

Attachments

• 82116151_10157977198647929_5443157112446255104_n.png
    82116151_10157977198647929_5443157112446255104_n.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 45

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
So I have been having a major issue with V0.6 that i never faced in V0.5, I thought someone else would have reported it but apparently not, so here we go:

after using it a bit it gets VERY laggy on any of its menus. like, it would wait literal seconds to move after you press a direction, and would only move one folder at a time and then pause before moving to the next one and so on. that is only solved by quitting the program and reopening it. even worse though is that it can crash the whole switch (atmosphere crash). that happened to me 4 times already this week. what happens is that it randomly and out of nowhere goes to the homebrew menu, and if you try to close the homebrew menu the whole switch crashes. Frequent crashes to the whole system is a very worrying thing, and I would really appreciate if you fixed it alongside the extreme lag (pretty sure they are related).

also

The thing is, unlike European languages, arabic connects the letters to make words instead of just writing one letter after another. what I mean is that letters in a word not only connect to each other but many of them have different shapes when connected. So what you did might show one letter after another of the file's name, but it is still almost unreadable to any arabic speaker. I have attached an image as an example of how words actually look like.

I always use it for hours through network and didn't get the memory leak that you comment, the app it's responsive and I manage to properly exit it without crashes.

Maybe it's related with a specific scenario or versions of CFW, need more info for test.

What version of atmos and horizon you have? what media device you use to play? you have any sample file that produce this leak or ocurrs with all?

The only feature that can't test it's enigma2 because I don't have sat tv, but the rest work fine for me on last version of atmosphere and switch.

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use it for hours through network and didn't get the memory leak that you comment, the app it's responsive and I manage to properly exit it without crashes.

Maybe it's related with a specific scenario or versions of CFW, need more info for test.

What version of atmos and horizon you have? what media device you use to play? you have any sample file that produce this leak or ocurrs with all?

The only feature that can't test it's enigma2 because I don't have sat tv, but the rest work fine for me on last version of atmosphere and switch.
I only use it through usb (128gb, pretty much full), never network. the lag and crash only happens in the menus, never happened to me while watching a video. It would be running well, I would watch a video with no issues, then when I finish it would be lagging. and the crashes happen exactly as I described.

as for the atmosphere and horizon (what is horizon?) versions, no idea how to find them.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Ok I gona test with a 128gb USB to try to reproduce, can be related with USB devices.

Happends with short videos or need to play a full movie to reproduce?

Yes, the crash it's a kernel panic, it's a atmosphere screen with error code and last calls before crash, happend to me on the past with some beta versions, but it's the first time that I see one of this on release.

With horizon I mean the switch firmware (that it's called HorizonOS), the version that console show on settings menu.

I gona try to reproduce this on 0.6 and if I manage to reproduce, I gona try on the current beta too that have debug info and can be usefull to detect where it's the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: bored, guess i'll spread more democracy