nx-python: Create Python Homebrew for the Switch!

HlzR.jpeg

nx-python
is an ecosystem for developing and running Python homebrew applications on the Nintendo Switch. PyNX serves as the entry point to this ecosystem and allows you to run Python apps on your Switch. It is a homebrew app that contains a port of the CPython interpreter and allows you to run Python applications from the Homebrew Menu. Just name your application main.py and place it next to the PyNX.nro, and it will be executed as soon as you launch PyNX from the Homebrew Menu. Simply grab a release build and copy the content of the ZIP archive into the /switch folder on your SD card. PyNX will appear on the Homebrew Menu. Currently, Python 3.5 is supported. Basic things should work fine, but for many advanced things, like PyGame, you will have to wait a bit until they are supported. This also includes threading, as well as the signal module. Those are high priority, though, so you won't have to wait for them for too long, hopefully. For Switch-specific things, such as controller input or filesystem read/write, you can use the nx package that's included in PyNX (see documentation).

I hope nx-python will allow many more people to develop awesome homebrew applications for the Switch. :)

If you encounter a problem, make sure to join our Discord and tell us about it, or, alternatively, reply to this thread.

Quick links: Download | Documentation | Discord | Source

Special thanks to DavidBuchanan314, @MarcusD, @Stary2001, rami, and several other people from ReSwitched as well as the SwitchBrew team, the devkitPro team, and the Python Software Foundation.

Last edited by AileenLumina,

reds

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sakamoto.pl
XP
Country
Poland
AWESOME! I've already started writing some homebrew in C, but I can imagine nx-python giving us a lot of new homebrew from less-experienced coders. Great work :3

Reactions: AileenLumina

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now that Python works.. can we have Ren'Py next ? :D

Before we fantasize about Ren'Py, they should implement more basic things like "numpy". I need my multi-dimensional arrays. :D

Btw, great work. One suggestion: Please add a text editor which utilizes the onscreen keyboard (or a bluetooth keyboard), so we can write applications on the go.

Last edited by DarkOrb,

Sonixier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a plan to add support for yuzu? I don't have a 3.0.0 switch and it would be nice to create homebrew before cfw comes to older fws.

wl.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
it's yuzu should support this homebrew (for now yuzu lacks some services, for sockets and random numbers)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs