GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

WHY DOES THE WORLD HAVE TO BE SO CRUEL?!
hate2.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/16/nvidia-...graphics-cards/

I knew it was coming. I did not anticipate the emotional impact.

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Now my current graphics card is.. *counts fingers*.. 5 generations behind! yay!

EDIT: Sweet jesus just looked at that sexy three way pic. Take that, throw an AMD processor in there and a 1.21 jiggawat power suply all in the same case....
You turn on your computer, the street lights dim, the sun sucks in a little closer to earth, and the polar ice caps melt not just on Earth but Mars too. D:!

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Deletable_Man said:
Awesome! Now my current graphics card is.. *counts fingers*.. 5 generations behind! yay!

EDIT: Sweet jesus just looked at that sexy three way pic. Take that, throw an Intel processor in there and a 1.21 jiggawat power suply all in the same case....
You turn on your computer, the street lights dim, the sun sucks in a little closer to earth, and the polar ice caps melt not just on Earth but Mars too. D:!
Fix'd.
wink2.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SkH said:
Deletable_Man said:

EDIT: Sweet jesus just looked at that sexy three way pic. Take that, throw an AMD processor in there and a 1.21 jiggawat power suply all in the same case....
Fix'd.
wink2.gif
Fix'd.
wink2.gif

Wow, those are expensive. I can't imagine buying 3 of them. My 8600 GT is still running my games at full (minus Crysis), so no need to upgrade yet.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Deletable_Man said:

Mine is 5 generations behind too!
tongue.gif

I'm getting a 9600GT next week thought.. XP

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Will wait a few months to drop a bit til I upgrade my 8800GTS 320. Still happy on medium in games like cod 4 with 90fps.

300US = buy
smile.gif

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
jumpman17 said:
SkH said:
Deletable_Man said:

EDIT: Sweet jesus just looked at that sexy three way pic. Take that, throw an Intel processor in there and a 1.21 jiggawat power suply all in the same case....
Fix'd.
wink2.gif

Fix'd.
wink2.gif

Wow, those are expensive. I can't imagine buying 3 of them. My 8600 GT is still running my games at full (minus Crysis), so no need to upgrade yet.
Why are you Fixing the best, huh? Tell me why AMD is better than Intel! Just for you to know: Intel is far before AMD.

QUOTE(nephdj @ Jun 16 2008, 07:01 PM)
Will wait a few months to drop a bit til I upgrade my 8800GTS 320. Still happy on medium in games like cod 4 with 90fps.

300US = buy
smile.gif
Why run on Medium if your graphics card is powerful enough to run it in Max?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My Corsair 450W isn't going to power that.

Man, I thought they would focus on die shrinks and efficiency now... My 8800GTS G92 is a beast regardless.

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One word: Meh.

Its not worth the price $400 is not worth it, and when it gets released in the UK it will more then likely cost £400 because companies don't know how to use conversion rates.
The ATI 4870GX2 has been said that's its going to cost around £200, half the price of the lower card and guess what its even more powerful then the 1Gb version.
The GTX280 is only marginally more powerful then the current 3870GX2, but its more expensive and far more power hungry.

I know what I am buying. (If you couldn't figure it out I am getting the new ATI card.)

QUOTE said:
Man, I thought they would focus on die shrinks and efficiency now.
Or maybe a replacement to silicon would be better, Super Conductors are the way to go.

~ Commander

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Commander said:
QUOTE said:
Or maybe a replacement to silicon would be better, Super Conductors are the way to go.

~ Commander

Anyone with a brain knows superconductors aren't feasible seeing as they are unbelievably expensive, and the best only work at -173 ° C.
Most superconducting materials only superconduct within a few degrees of absolute zero anyway.

Unless you're a materials scientist who's about to become very rich, superconductors fail.

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Commander said:
QUOTE said:

~ Commander

Anyone with a brain knows superconductors aren't feasible seeing as they are unbelievably expensive, and the best only work at -173 ° C.
Most superconducting materials only superconduct within a few degrees of absolute zero anyway.

Unless you're a materials scientist who's about to become very rich, superconductors fail.

Thanks for pointing out something I clearly wasn't aware off.
rolleyes.gif

There are obviously more feasible options such as Spintronics or Optics. Spintronics is sounding promising considering both IBM and Intel are exploring the area, however currently the technology is mostly used for creating storage devices, according to IBM they managed to compress 1 TB of data onto a 3.5" disc. But currently there are Spin based transistors in development.
But ultimately we need a replacement for silicon (Hence the suggestion of super conductors) most of the other options are simply ways to extend the current life span of the silicon chip.

Actually at current the best super conductor material is capable of operating at 185K or -88ºC. Also there is research into room-temperature super conductivity, but theres no use dismissing the possibility of something based on current limitations.

~ Commander

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Instead of spending that much money just to play a SINGLE game (Crysis) that I can't play on ultra settings, why not just buy a PS3 and MGS4? I know this fucker is future proof, but it's better to see ATI's answer first. I learned it the hard way when I just bought ATI RADEON X800 and then the Geforce 6800 came out.

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SkH said:
jumpman17 said:
SkH said:
Deletable_Man said:

Fix'd.
wink2.gif
Fix'd.
wink2.gif

Why are you Fixing the best, huh? Tell me why AMD is better than Intel! Just for you to know: Intel is far before AMD.
I used AMD there because I was implying how hot the case would be. AMDs run hotter.
rolleyes.gif

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
We just got one BFG GTX280 in stock. It's not as big a card as I was expecting.

Not fired it up yet. If I don't get a chance to do it today then I'll take it home and stick it in my machine, as long as no one else beats me to it
biggrin.gif

Mmmm new hardware.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha, finally I can consider my ATI Radeon HD 3870 outdated. Honestly, we won't be using the power these graphics cards hand over for years to come though. It's nice to think I could upgrade if I wanted to, but it's way too expensive to bother.
Still, at least this way it's not long until we're getting better graphics than the PS3 on the PC. I'd love to be able to tell people who say:

"The Wii sucks, it has really crap graphics" (I own a Wii btw) to me, or "The PS3 is so amazing, I've never seen such realistic graphics" that my PC can handle better graphics than the PS3, so I don't care. It would give them something to shut them up for a change.

EDIT:
Oh, apparently graphics cards on the market already outdo the PS3's GPU very easily. Though that doesn't necessarily mean better graphics I guess.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Tom's Hardware Review Here
The review seems to indicate the GTX280 is about the same performance as the 9800GX2 in all games except Mass Effect, where the GTX280 and 260 seem to pwn every other graphics card.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
The review seems to indicate the GTX280 is about the same performance as the 9800GX2 in all games except Mass Effect, where the GTX280 and 260 seem to pwn every other graphics card.
The few quick tests we've done in the workshop here agree with that. Shame we don't have two in stock to give SLI a go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-