Nvidia unleashes GTX280 and GTX260

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by coolbho3000, Jun 16, 2008.

Jun 16, 2008
  1. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

2. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    Awesome! Now my current graphics card is.. *counts fingers*.. 5 generations behind! yay!

EDIT: Sweet jesus just looked at that sexy three way pic. Take that, throw an AMD processor in there and a 1.21 jiggawat power suply all in the same case....
    You turn on your computer, the street lights dim, the sun sucks in a little closer to earth, and the polar ice caps melt not just on Earth but Mars too. D:!

3. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Fix'd. [​IMG]

4. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Fix'd. [​IMG]

Wow, those are expensive. I can't imagine buying 3 of them. My 8600 GT is still running my games at full (minus Crysis), so no need to upgrade yet.

5. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Mine is 5 generations behind too! [​IMG]

I'm getting a 9600GT next week thought.. XP

6. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Will wait a few months to drop a bit til I upgrade my 8800GTS 320. Still happy on medium in games like cod 4 with 90fps.

300US = buy [​IMG]

7. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Why run on Medium if your graphics card is powerful enough to run it in Max?

8. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Damn, ATI's 4870x2 with 2GB of DDR5 should hit any day

9. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Idiot1: That's way too big!
    Idiot2: That's what she said!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I just got my 8800GT few month ago. Oh well, I'll wait till someone one GBAtemp donates me one million dollars.

10. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
  11. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

My Corsair 450W isn't going to power that.

Man, I thought they would focus on die shrinks and efficiency now... My 8800GTS G92 is a beast regardless.

12. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    One word: Meh.

Its not worth the price $400 is not worth it, and when it gets released in the UK it will more then likely cost £400 because companies don't know how to use conversion rates.
    The ATI 4870GX2 has been said that's its going to cost around £200, half the price of the lower card and guess what its even more powerful then the 1Gb version.
    The GTX280 is only marginally more powerful then the current 3870GX2, but its more expensive and far more power hungry.

I know what I am buying. (If you couldn't figure it out I am getting the new ATI card.)

Or maybe a replacement to silicon would be better, Super Conductors are the way to go.

~ Commander

13. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    apparently, it sounds like a jet engine...

14. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Anyone with a brain knows superconductors aren't feasible seeing as they are unbelievably expensive, and the best only work at -173 ° C.
    Most superconducting materials only superconduct within a few degrees of absolute zero anyway.

Unless you're a materials scientist who's about to become very rich, superconductors fail.

15. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for pointing out something I clearly wasn't aware off. [​IMG]

There are obviously more feasible options such as Spintronics or Optics. Spintronics is sounding promising considering both IBM and Intel are exploring the area, however currently the technology is mostly used for creating storage devices, according to IBM they managed to compress 1 TB of data onto a 3.5" disc. But currently there are Spin based transistors in development.
    But ultimately we need a replacement for silicon (Hence the suggestion of super conductors) most of the other options are simply ways to extend the current life span of the silicon chip.

Actually at current the best super conductor material is capable of operating at 185K or -88ºC. Also there is research into room-temperature super conductivity, but theres no use dismissing the possibility of something based on current limitations.

~ Commander

16. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Instead of spending that much money just to play a SINGLE game (Crysis) that I can't play on ultra settings, why not just buy a PS3 and MGS4? I know this fucker is future proof, but it's better to see ATI's answer first. I learned it the hard way when I just bought ATI RADEON X800 and then the Geforce 6800 came out.

17. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    I used AMD there because I was implying how hot the case would be. AMDs run hotter. [​IMG]

18. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    We just got one BFG GTX280 in stock. It's not as big a card as I was expecting.

Not fired it up yet. If I don't get a chance to do it today then I'll take it home and stick it in my machine, as long as no one else beats me to it [​IMG]

Mmmm new hardware.

19. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Haha, finally I can consider my ATI Radeon HD 3870 outdated. Honestly, we won't be using the power these graphics cards hand over for years to come though. It's nice to think I could upgrade if I wanted to, but it's way too expensive to bother.
    Still, at least this way it's not long until we're getting better graphics than the PS3 on the PC. I'd love to be able to tell people who say:

"The Wii sucks, it has really crap graphics" (I own a Wii btw) to me, or "The PS3 is so amazing, I've never seen such realistic graphics" that my PC can handle better graphics than the PS3, so I don't care. It would give them something to shut them up for a change.

EDIT:
    Oh, apparently graphics cards on the market already outdo the PS3's GPU very easily. Though that doesn't necessarily mean better graphics I guess.

DOUBLE EDIT:
    Tom's Hardware Review Here
    The review seems to indicate the GTX280 is about the same performance as the 9800GX2 in all games except Mass Effect, where the GTX280 and 260 seem to pwn every other graphics card.

20. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The few quick tests we've done in the workshop here agree with that. Shame we don't have two in stock to give SLI a go.