Not allowed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by OArikadoO, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010

Not allowed by OArikadoO at 3:32 PM (1,546 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. OArikadoO
    OP

Member OArikadoO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some of you may know me from the Wii homebrew/hacking scene.

I'm pleased to announce that I've created three bruteforcers for the popular social networking website Twitter.

For those who don't know, bruteforcers are programs which crack passwords by trying every possible password until they try the correct one. Thus, these twitter bruteforcers can essentially get any password of any account.

More information and the Windows releases is here: LINK REMOVED

I plan to release the source (which can be compiled for MAC and Linux as well as Windows) in about three days.

Enjoy!

--Arikado

2. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So the point of this is to hack people's accounts? Or password recovery?

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    To hack people's accounts.

I think this is against the rules though, no cracks allowed and this is sort of a crack.

4. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I don't think I'm very happy about this.

5. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    Technically you can use them for whatever you want. However, I do NOT support or condone using them illegally.

So, some good legal uses would be hacking your friends account with their permission and/or password recovery.

Posts merged

It's not a crack of anysort. A crack itself already has the password obtained. This is just a tool which can obtain passwords. It in itself is not illegal.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    But it can (and mostly will be) used for illegal things.
    I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether or not to remove this topic, but I don't approve of such things being posted on GBAtemp.

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    *cough*Backup Launchers*cough*

[​IMG]

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It has nothing to do with video games so this should be deleted for that reason alone. It's getting out of hand with people treating this site like it's digg.com

9. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    Oh please. GBATemp has entire forums for backup loaders and emulators which are used for infinitely more damaging practices.

10. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    Then move it to the Offtopic forum. There's no reason to delete this as it is certainly not illegal or against the rules in any way. I can understand if it's not wanted in the User Submitted News forum though if everyone truly believes that this doesn't constitute as 'news'.

11. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, considering how elusive the common key for the DSi is, even with that bruteforcer, I can imagine how it'd be nearly impossible to get a password like this. With the common key, I think the possible combination is like 2^16 and it would still take over a thousand years (I forgot the number). Here it would be x raised to at least the 52 power, where x is the max characters, just accounting for upper and lower case letters.

Actually, it'd be much more complicated than that because you can have, I assume a password from maybe 5-12 characters, but it's been a long time since I was in a statistics class [​IMG]

12. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    Twitter passwords can be 6 - 100 characters in length.

Most people have a password 8 - 15 characters in length.

To most effectively use these programs, you should pick a popular size range (8 - 15 characters for example) and have the sequential ascending bruteforcer work from the bottom up, the sequential descending bruteforcer work from the top down, and as many randomized bruteforcers as possible guess at the combinations in between.

I was able to crack a friends 7 character password in a little over 2 weeks. It was one of the randomized one's I was running that got it.

Also, just so everyone knows, it would be EXTREMELY simple for Twitter to update their security system to put an end to all bruteforce attacks. Perhaps Twitter can just consider this release a simple heads up.

Lastly, for anyone who might care: My twitter is here: LINK REMOVED

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Two weeks? Thats makes me feel a little better about this. But still I really dont like the idea of someone getting into my account.

14. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Stealing other's passwords and entering their account without their permission is identity theft. I understand you don't condone that, but unlike programs for modding consoles, this can directly affect people, not a machine. As such, we can't allow links to a program like this. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.