ROM Hack RELEASE Octopath Traveler Visual Clarity Patch

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Octopath Traveler Visual Clarity Patch by Canzah

Switch version of Octopath Traveler suffers from very muddy visuals due to excess use of ugly post processing effects as well as low resolution in handheld mode.
This patch aims to greatly improve the overall visual clarity and quality of the game and boost the rendering resolution to native 720p in handheld mode while keeping the game at relatively stable 30 FPS.
As such, the core changes done by this patch are as follows:
- Ugly effects like Bloom, Depth of Field and Motion Blur are disabled
- Antialiasing quality is improved so that it doesn't blur the image so much
- Anisotropic Filtering quality is improved by increasing its sampling
- Game resolution in handheld mode is raised from 1024x576 to 1280x720
- The way the game dynamically scales various graphics settings has been optimized by using settings from newer versions of Unreal Engine 4
Side effect of these changes makes the game unable to hit its 30 FPS target in handheld mode at all times, with game having tendency to drop to around 27-28 FPS (impact on framerate was even bigger without the custom optimizations mention in last step of the changes list) and as such I recommend using the "sys-clk" module for Atmosphere to slightly raise the GPU and Memory clocks in order to maintain stable 30 FPS, more information on that in the Installation section.

Below you can find a few Before and After screenshot comparions of the patch:
zrFHOLs.jpg

kWLLGh5.jpg
iFqGGwg.jpg

nzEOFLx.jpg

Installation:
First, download the patch package from the link below which contains all the necessary files:

Mirror 1 (GDrive):
https://pastebin.com/2Ff6uibd

After downloading the patch, extract the contents of the archive with the mod to a folder of your own choice, it's compressed in 7z format which can be unpacked using 7zip or WinRAR, though I do recommend 7zip for best compatibility to avoid any potential issues.

Next you'll want to make sure you're using a CFW with LayeredFS like Atmosphere.

Now all you will need to do is select the "Contents" folder from this unpacked visual clarity patch archive and copy it to the directory used for LayeredFS on your memory card - this is crucial.
On Atmosphere, it's the "atmosphere" folder on the root of your memory card, put the "Contents" folder from this visual clarity patch archive inside that "atmosphere" folder.
Finally, you'll need to increase the GPU clock to 460MHz and Memory clock to 1600MHz when playing in handheld mode due to the performance requirements being a bit higher with this patch installed. You can do so with the "sys-clk" module for Atmosphere.

The only thing left for you at this point is to simply play the game and enjoy it with substantial increase to visual clarity and quality.

Addendum:
If you'd like to play PC version with these changes, you can do so by going to your Documents\My Games\Octopath_Traveler\Config\WindowsNoEditor directory and opening Engine.ini with Notepad or any other text editor you might like.
Then add the contents of this pastebin https://pastebin.com/XSFST1EL at the bottom of the .ini and save.
If you want you can also enable supersampling by changing the default 100% value (no supersampling) in "r.ScreenPercentage" setting to any higher % of supersampling you desire, for example 150 or 200.

Last edited by Canzah,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but i don't find this useful, and won't be using it.
"- Ugly effects like Bloom, Depth of Field and Motion Blur are disabled"

Firstly, you're wrong. The game is beautiful with these effects. Basically, the main aesthetic of the game (that's supposed to be portrayed as a miniature), is just being ruined and desecrated by your mod. Neat. But it's not for me. The blurring and simulated volumetric light is also there to hide visual artifacts, like bad polygon seams.

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, you're wrong. The game is beautiful with these effects. Basically, the main aesthetic of the game (that's supposed to be portrayed as a miniature), is just being ruined and desecrated by your mod. Neat. But it's not for me. The blurring and simulated volumetric light is also there to hide visual artifacts, like bad polygon seams.
You're entitled to your opinion, which by the way is wrong :^)
I prefer my SNES throwback games to actually look like SNES, don't even know where you got the "miniature" thing from when the devs explicitly said they were inspired by SNES era of JRPGs for the art style, most clearly Final Fantasy VI, Live a Live and Romancing SaGa. None of those games were drowned in six gorillion gallons of post processing mud so it makes perfect sense to me to make the game look sharper like its predecessors. You're free not to like it but if you don't then why are you even here?
Having a choice is what makes modding good so fix your attitude mate and cease the pointless attacks.
Why you didn't upload it here? It's only 26 kB.
To be honest, no idea, I guess I was very tired since I was about to fall asleep when I posted it.

Last edited by Canzah,

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're entitled to your opinion, which by the way is wrong :^)
I prefer my SNES throwback games to actually look like SNES

To be honest, no idea, I guess I was very tired since I was about to fall asleep when I posted it.
Ill give this a look. But similarly, if a game offers to disable motion blur or depth of field, I turn that off before I do anything else. Then grunt everytime I see some aspect of DoF forced even though we chose to disable it.

jeka467

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
It would've been nice to have version with Bloom, Depth of Field and Motion Blur for people who want it (like me), because I think the resolution was the main problem of this game. I would've done it myself, but I kinda lost my pak opener and now I can't.

Sosainas

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your work. It adds an interesting and different look to the game.

I won't be using it since I'm in the half of the game and I got used to the way it looks, but I will definitely check it out.

Is there any way that you can workaround a version that just boosts the resolution maintaining the rest of the effects? It would be a nice choice too!

Again, thank you!

MarvinXLII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job with this patch! I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical at first, but after trying it out I'll certainly play around with it a bit more on future playthroughs.

Reactions: Canzah

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Made one for Steam ver as well, can't post it on Steam guides though as I don't have the Steam version, friend was testing for me.
Not sure where I could post it.
I don't see why you could not post here too, make a link for switch and another one for steam

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are some other steam mods on Nexus Mods. I'd recommend posting it there.
I don't see why you could not post here too, make a link for switch and another one for steam
Added a small Addendum to the OP for now, since it's an .ini edit I don't think it makes much sense posting it on Nexus.

Reactions: MarvinXLII

pistoldust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wanted to chime in and thank you for this! i realize it's all subjective, but i had the exact same reservations & never picked up octopath because of all the postprocessing. it's gorgeous, of course, but it's like playing a game with reshade effects on 24/7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-