Hacking Noobie looking to enter into the world of Homebrew

ratboy90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a Nintendo DS lite and want to start using homebrew stuff now. What kind of hardware should I get? I saw the R4 and M3 Real but since I have no experience I wanted to get some advice from veterans
tongue.gif

Appreciate all the help.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason you don't want an R4 is that the official firmware has not been updated for a long, long time. And with them being illegal in Japan, I don't see any updates coming in the near future. You CAN put YSMenu on there, and that works fine, but why would you want to do that when you can get an Acekard2 or CycloDS for the same price or cheaper? Also, official R4s are not SDHC-capable, so you'd be limited to 2GB MicroSDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my R4. I got a lot of mileage out of it, and it's not a bad option, even now. It's just you can do better for the same price or cheaper. I've been using an AK2 with AKAIO for a while now, and that's definitely the way to roll.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ackerd 2.i from deal extreme.com its cheap but works great even with dsi

Posts merged

tht or the r4 advance yes it is a clone but i like it better then the real r4 and you can use micro sd cards over 8gbs on it up to 16gbs i think

ratboy90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok so forget the R4. what's the word on M3 Real? SDHC compatible and I read its supposed to be noobie friendly. I'll be getting one to start out with and maybe later I'll switch to a more elaborate mod. And I won't be getting a DSi. Probably gonna stick to the Lite.

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my M3 real with Sakura.

Add some Homebrew like NDSMAIL, BEUP, Still Alive, DSOrganize, Geowars.

Good stuff...

ratboy90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just realized that this thread is probably in the wrong section. Maybe a mod could move it to "Flashing Hardware and Software" sorry about that.

What's the rumble pack for M3 real for? Is it any good and do I absolutely need it? And what's the difference between M3 Real and M3 Lite??

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ratboy90 said:
I just realized that this thread is probably in the wrong section. Maybe a mod could move it to "Flashing Hardware and Software" sorry about that.

What's the rumble pack for M3 real for? Is it any good and do I absolutely need it? And what's the difference between M3 Real and M3 Lite??

The rumble pack is for games that have rumble support...and that's not very many. I suggest you try and get a pack with the GBA expansion, it lets you play GBA roms.

The difference between the M3 Real and the M3 Lite is that the M3 Real is the latest M3 and it has more features, and support M3 Sakura (which is like the best firmware for any flashcart...trust me it's great!). Also I don't think they update the M3 Lite any more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny