Hacking Noob-Proof guide to compile RxTools source.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As nice as that is, it's only the installer process, not the installer package. That installer can't talk to the SourceForge servers to download the rest of its resources right now, so it's useless until they come back online. Thanks for trying though.
What are you talking about? Did you even open it? It's a zip file. Of my already installed (and in my path, and working) gnuwin32 Make. In fact, it's the whole damn thing. All you need, really, are the 3 files in the gnuwin32/bin folder.

Edit: and make sure it's in your path (or you put all 3 of those files in a folder like mingw/msys/1.0/bin) before your devkitARM/bin.

Last edited by urherenow,

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are you talking about? Did you even open it? It's a zip file. Of my already installed (and in my path, and working) gnuwin32 Make. In fact, it's the whole damn thing. All you need, really, are the 3 files in the gnuwin32/bin folder.

Edit: and make sure it's in your path (or you put all 3 of those files in a folder like mingw/msys/1.0/bin) before your devkitARM/bin.
My bad, it looked about the same size as the installer, which has no resources, so I assumed it was.
After putting that in, and pushing it to the front, it ended up hitting another wall.
From there, I figured out that DevkitPro fucked up its own system variables, fixed them, and finally got it to compile the main make branch.
Themes aren't working, but I honestly don't care right now, I'll fix them later.

Thanks for the help!

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after make, use "make release". If you don't need the ninjhax stuff you could also use "make theme" but "make release" is best.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
after make, use "make release". If you don't need the ninjhax stuff you could also use "make theme" but "make release" is best.
No no, make release just dies from the themes. I don't care about the rest of it for now though, I just need the rxTools.dat. I'll figure it out later.

It's the typical "Invalid Parameter 90" error when compiling themes, even though convert.exe is present in the themes folder. Like I said, not important, I'll care later.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no, make release just dies from the themes. I don't care about the rest of it for now though, I just need the rxTools.dat. I'll figure it out later.

It's the typical "Invalid Parameter 90" error when compiling themes, even though convert.exe is present in the themes folder. Like I said, not important, I'll care later.
well, ok, but you shouldn't have to place convert.exe anywhere, as long as after your path cleanup C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.9.1-Q16 is still in your path. It can go after the other mingw and devkit stuff.

I've built it a few times after getting everything working and each time now, I start from scratch with the source. I do the git clone, then enter rxtools directory and make, make release. Done.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, ok, but you shouldn't have to place convert.exe anywhere, as long as after your path cleanup C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.9.1-Q16 is still in your path. It can go after the other mingw and devkit stuff.

I've built it a few times after getting everything working and each time now, I start from scratch with the source. I do the git clone, then enter rxtools directory and make, make release. Done.
Yeah, that'll be ideal once I finish debugging my modified MSET downgrader, but for now, I only need the rxTools.dat, ha ha. I'm honestly not sure why I'm getting the "Invalid Parameter - 90" error though on make release, I guess it's just gonna be stupid for me, w/e

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that'll be ideal once I finish debugging my modified MSET downgrader, but for now, I only need the rxTools.dat, ha ha. I'm honestly not sure why I'm getting the "Invalid Parameter - 90" error though on make release, I guess it's just gonna be stupid for me, w/e
No offense, but I don't see what the big deal is with the mset downgraders. All anybody needs to do is download the version they want with 3dnus and install it with the latest version of FBI. Or using an old version of FBI, delete the current one first, then install the old one. Done.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No offense, but I don't see what the big deal is with the mset downgraders. All anybody needs to do is download the version they want with 3dnus and install it with the latest version of FBI. Or using an old version of FBI, delete the current one first, then install the old one. Done.
It's not meant as a necessity, and to you and me, sure, it's no big deal to do it manually. It's a user experience feature though, and it'll help the noobs that have no idea what to look for. Plus, it's something I CAN do, so if I can contribute with it, I figure might as well, ha ha.

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. There are only 3 pages here. Read through all 3 and make sure your path is setup correctly. The path that paceman posted above is missing 2 Python27 directories...
That's because I didn't show it all. :P

Here's my path that makes everything work (Make, Make release and Make theme on the latest v3.0-Alpha0):
c:\MinGW\bin;c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;c:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Python27\; ... ; C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd

Disregard "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;" and "; ... ; " as they aren't needed here.
You really only need one Python dir ("C:\Python27\;" in my case)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because I didn't show it all. :P

Here's my path that makes everything work (Make, Make release and Make theme on the latest v3.0-Alpha0):
c:\MinGW\bin;c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;c:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Python27\; ... ; C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd

Disregard "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;" and "; ... ; " as they aren't needed here.
You really only need one Python dir ("C:\Python27\;" in my case)
But then you need to include where to put the gnuwin32 make.exe (not in your path so you dropped it into the mingw/bin folder or in your rxtools folder...)

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
But then you need to include where to put the gnuwin32 make.exe (not in your path so you dropped it into the mingw/bin folder or in your rxtools folder... make.exe in devkitPro/msys/bin will cause the stack dump)

The Requirements stated:
"... (in case make.exe fails with stack trace dump, install GnuWin Make ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net ) and place it in path before devkitPRO/msys/bin) ..."

But in my case, it didn't fail so I didn't have to install the "gnuwin32 make.exe"

BTW: I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
@urherenow
Reason I only had one Python folder in my Path is that I had this one installed: python-2.7.8.amd64 (Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.8) [1]).msi.

I realize now that 2.7.10 was out so I uninstalled 2.7.8 and installed this one: python-2.7.10.amd64 (Windows x86-64 MSI installer).msi.

My Path now looks like this:
C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;c:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick; ... ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd

My ImageMagick was installed to the folder C:\Program Files\ImageMagick (I didn't install it with the version number)

Sorry for the confusion

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
So can this be updated, so we can compile it again?

Latest github version (23/07/2015)

rxtools01.png

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can this be updated, so we can compile it again?

Latest github version (23/07/2015)

rxtools01.png
I'm at work so I can't look at it, but I had a similar problem with all the other tools before I had my path in the correct order. If you could build without problems before, just look in tools/toolsrc for a font tool folder or something. If there is a make file in there, build it from there with make, and move the .exe to /tools. If only a .c file is there, then copy and modify a build.bat from one of the other toolsrc folders...

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it has no make file or bat file.
That's why I said to grab a build.bat from a different tool and modify it. There is one in toolsrc\addxor_tool. If you can't look at the .bat file and figure it out, you have no business trying this anyway. Just grab the latest build from github.

Edit: Since I'm at home, I just built from the latest .git with no issues anyway, so just forget about all of that. You need to get your path in the correct order and make sure you are using the correct tools. Read page 3 of this thread. All of it.

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill