Hacking Noob-Proof guide to compile RxTools source.

capito27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Hello, everyone, as requested by some of you, here is a noob-proof guide to compiling the source of RxTools, located here.

For now, this guide is solely directed at Windows Users, i might make another guide for Mac OS and Unix users.

please note that the sources won't be anywhere as stable as the released version, as such, this thread is more directed at devs that want to edit RxTools source code and test it, it is most likely useless to the end user !

1. First of all, you'll want to install git and grab a copy of the latest RxTools source code :
Go here, and click the icon for your OS (we are using Windows in this guide) and install git. Create a folder somewhere where you will store your source code and from a command prompt in that directory, type "git clone --recursive https://github.com/roxas75/rxTools.git"
2. Then you'll need to install Python 2.7 (SEE EDIT2 AT THE BOTTOM):
Go here, press "download Python 2.7.10", install the software downloaded​

3. Then you'll want to install devkitpro :
Go here, press "Download", wait 5 seconds for the file to start downloading, execute it and follow the steps (without modifing any default settings), once the setup is completed you can come back to this thread.​

4. Then you'll want to install armips :
Go here, press "download file now", open the downloaded archive (which contains 3 files), you'll want to copy "armips.exe" from the archive to this directory : "X:\devkitPro\msys\bin" ("X" is your hard drive asigned letter).​

5. Then you'll need to install MinGW :
Go here, press "Download", execute the installed file, press "install", "continue", wait for the install to be completed, right click the package "mingw32-base", choose "mark for installation", open the "installation" tab and choose "apply changes", wait for the install to be finished then you can close the window.
6. Then you'll need to install Image Magick. The current version (6.9.3 as of this writing) hangs on font.bin, so you will need to grab an older version from here:

https://mega.nz/#F!sZkyQKAC!0cBRXqyQOPnoWyh00DtAcQ

7. Then you'll need to install the Visual C++ runtime libraries, if you don't have them already :
Download this (as you can see, this is the offical microsoft link, it is just more convenient to share the file that way) and install it.
8. Then you'll need to check your "Path" variable :
start a command prompt (simply type CMD on your start menu and press enter) and then type the command "path", you'll get a response like this
PATH=C:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.9.1-Q16;C:\MinGW\bin;x:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;X:\devkitPro\devkitARM\arm-none-eabi\bin;
EDIT: devkitPro tools do not like spaces or "(" in the path, so it is important to move all of these items to the beginning of your path. Please adjust to match your installation locations and ensure you don't have duplicate entries, but the beginning of your path should look something like what's in the spoiler above (and in the same order).

To check/fix your path:
right-click your computer icon->proprieties-> advanced system settings ->environment variables -> scroll untill you see the "path" variable -> double-click it -> add/move whatever paths you need to, in order to closely match the above spoiler.

Finally you should be able to compile the RxTools source : open the rxTools folder we cloned at the begining, hold "SHIFT" and right click anywhere in the folder and press "open a comand prompt here" (or something along those lines) and then type "make release", it should compile properly now !

Tired of deleting and recloning repos every time you want to update? Place this simple .bat file into devkitPro\msys\bin (hopefully, this is among the first directories in your path). Inside of the project's folder (e.g. /rxTools or /FBI) , simply type "update". It's always wise to "make clean" before "make", so you can add those two lines if you wish for a one stop shop at building the latest of anything. Any errors would be because of outdated dependencies, such as ctrulib...
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/update-zip.47034/

If you see that I missed anything or am not clear about something, please tell me or urherenow so we can fix it, thanks for the time you took reading this and i hope to have been of help :)

-Capito27

-urherenow's note - Please also look at README.md in the source. This may mention requirements that might not have been covered in this guide, especially when building projects other than rxTools.

-An updated version of Gnu Make is required for the current and future releases of FBI. I suggest you rename your current one (usually in devkitPro/msys/bin) in case you need to revert later, and replace it with one of these: http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=make
Also for the final .zip when building FBI (if the error bugs you) go to ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/ and grab zip.exe from one of the bottom two packages, and also drop it into devkitPro/msys/bin. Edit: while the newer make.exe (I linked to 4.1) is required for FBI, it looks like other projects still require 3.81. Had to revert to build Godmode9. Tool incompatibilities between projects make me :sad:
EDIT: Latest FBI now builds clean with gnu32 make v3.81. Just clone and "make install" the latest ctrulib source first. Will leave the above note up for reference in case other path issues arise, as something to try...

EDIT2: Newer projects like firmtool REQUIRE Python 3.5+. I got it working on windows with 3.6.1 Windows x86-64 executable installer: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-361/

Last edited by urherenow,

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a clean install of this and got the 'stable' source from the 2.6 release page, but it's throwing me this error:
ca7c9cd0cf.png

However I fixed this step by installing GnuWin's make and copying it to c:\rxt as initially advised by the readme.

The current issue I'm getting is:
c2e9f5343e.png

Everything is installed to default directories. echo %paths% returns:

C:\MinGW\bin\;c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin\;c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\wbem;c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\;c:\program files (x86)\skype\phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\MacType;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;

Jaitsu

Yet Another GBATemp Furry
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a clean install of this and got the 'stable' source from the 2.6 release page, but it's throwing me this error:
ca7c9cd0cf.png

However I fixed this step by installing GnuWin's make and copying it to c:\rxt as initially advised by the readme.

The current issue I'm getting is:
c2e9f5343e.png

Everything is installed to default directories. echo %paths% returns:

C:\MinGW\bin\;c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin\;c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\wbem;c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\;c:\program files (x86)\skype\phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\MacType;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;

Add C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\ at the beginning of your path. You have MinGW's bin and devkit's msys\bin, but non MinGW's msys\1.0\bin; that's where uname.exe is.

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\ at the beginning of your path. You have MinGW's bin and devkit's msys\bin, but non MinGW's msys\1.0\bin; that's where uname.exe is.
Er.. that's not even a folder for me:
4aa49ec07e.png

and searching uname.exe in MinGW doesn't return any results anyway. Do I need to install excess stuff than just the mingw32-base?

edit: oh! i needed to install msys in MinGW.. should probably add that to the OP, maybe?

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Er.. that's not even a folder for me:
4aa49ec07e.png

and searching uname.exe in MinGW doesn't return any results anyway. Do I need to install excess stuff than just the mingw32-base?

I think we should be using mingw-get-setup from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/ instead of what's linked in the OP. I believe it installs msys as well.

Edit: ...Okay, that's not what I used, now that I double check, but it works. You need AT LEAST the base and msys, I'm not sure about the others. Check ("Mark for Installation") all the packages you want, then hit Installation -> Apply Updates and it'll download and install everything.

Last edited by Jaitsu,

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That and scrolling around to msys and having it install that package works too.

Now I'm erroring at:

a8b6500f5c.png

And then after you tell stat.exe to close, it prints one more line:
e509d44671.png
Can you post the contents of C:\rxt\rxtools\stat.exe.stackdump? It might be there or just in C:\rxt\, I'm not sure, but it should be there.

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post the contents of C:\rxt\rxtools\stat.exe.stackdump? It might be there or just in C:\rxt\, I'm not sure, but it should be there.
Sure, here you go:

MSYS-1.0.17 Build:2011-04-24 23:39
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=00000000
eax=60EA0124 ebx=60EA022C ecx=608B8888 edx=00000108 esi=00000000 edi=60EA00D4
ebp=0028FEC0 esp=0028FEA4 program=c:\devkitPro\msys\bin\stat.exe
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
End of stack trace

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, here you go:

MSYS-1.0.17 Build:2011-04-24 23:39
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=00000000
eax=60EA0124 ebx=60EA022C ecx=608B8888 edx=00000108 esi=00000000 edi=60EA00D4
ebp=0028FEC0 esp=0028FEA4 program=c:\devkitPro\msys\bin\stat.exe
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
End of stack trace
Oh, it's still using devkitPro's msys, which has... issues like that. Make sure the MinGW msys is before it in your Path (in fact, you might be able to remove the devkit msys from your Path entirely)

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it's still using devkitPro's msys, which has... issues like that. Make sure the MinGW msys is before it in your Path (in fact, you might be able to remove the devkit msys from your Path entirely)
I'm assuming it's using devkitPro's because even with mingw32-base and msys-base, I don't have a stat.exe in MinGW. Anywhere. Msys or MinGW32.

884d28fa32.png

I have no idea how I followed the instructions and can't get this to work but other people are doing it fine. I'm assuming (read: hoping) something I have installed and/or 8.1 isn't messing with the process being easy?

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming it's using devkitPro's because even with mingw32-base and msys-base, I don't have a stat.exe in MinGW. Anywhere. Msys or MinGW32.

884d28fa32.png

I have no idea how I followed the instructions and can't get this to work but other people are doing it fine. I'm assuming (read: hoping) something I have installed and/or 8.1 isn't messing with the process being easy?

I'm officially confused, because my msys has a stat.exe in it.

Edit: Try checking mingw-developer-tools, it mentions being a developer MSYS installation.

By the way, I apologize - I'm totally not a pro at this, I'm just figuring stuff out myself. I just figured I'd try to help other people going through the same stuff I just did, but I obviously don't have all the answers. :P

AquaX101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was able to compile a build of rxTools yesterday, didn't work with the newest one today. I added ImageMagick to the path and I get this error.

EDIT: nvm, solved the problem

Last edited by AquaX101,

Rhymekaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm officially confused, because my msys has a stat.exe in it.

Edit: Try checking mingw-developer-tools, it mentions being a developer MSYS installation.

By the way, I apologize - I'm totally not a pro at this, I'm just figuring stuff out myself. I just figured I'd try to help other people going through the same stuff I just did, but I obviously don't have all the answers. :P
Yeah, developer-toolkit had it. I'm now here:

ffb2bb2318.png

I'm pretty much out of ideas as to why it doesn't work. uname is in msys/1.0/bin, which is in my paths, so it SHOULD work? but it errors out anyway.

Maybe I'll just wait for better documentation on how to build this, since I don't think it's very well documented at all. I have no idea what the issue is, error 2 is vague as hell

If you still have the install stuff you used to get this to work and wouldn't mind ziping them up, I'd uninstall/reinstall using what you used, but I can't think of anything else

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
when i compil rxtools-master (last) no problem no error, but the 3ds freeze when i try it on my o3ds xl
then when i try to compile 2.6 rxtools source i got some error

i have stack problem too :)

Last edited by Spzjulien,

herocis23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Was able to compile a build of rxTools yesterday, didn't work with the newest one today. I added ImageMagick to the path and I get this error.

EDIT: nvm, solved the problem
Im getting a problem to. Can you tell me how you fixed it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1