Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

firepixiedarien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buyin a Wii next week for Xenoblade. So some questions:

1. Does it matter what model Wii I buy? Or does Mod Mii make that a non-issue now?

2. Mod Mii, SD Card (or is it microSD card?), and an external USB hard drive. Is that all I really need?

3. I know that to play backups, I need a loader. Since there are many different loaders, which one is generally considered to be the most popular to use?

4. Where's all the cheats for the Wii? Codebreaker, Action Replay etc

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. Does it matter what model Wii I buy? Or does Mod Mii make that a non-issue now?

2. Mod Mii, SD Card (or is it microSD card?), and an external USB hard drive. Is that all I really need?

3. I know that to play backups, I need a loader. Since there are many different loaders, which one is generally considered to be the most popular to use?

1) depends. some older ones can play disc backups. do you want to use disc backups or just usb backups? usb is preferred and simpler and easier and cheaper. older wiis also offer additional brick prevention/recovery, however if you follow the guide properly, your chances of bricks are slim to none. The brand new wiis do not support gamecube software or hardware. keep that in mind.

2) it's an SD card. Most should work. You will probably only need 2 or 4gb, however it can be as large as you can find as long as its SD or SDHC
3) they are all great and it is up to you. I prefer usb loader gx but thats my opinion. cfg loader is also great.
4) ocarina cheats are located at http://geckocodes.org/ I think all loaders support them..at least usb loader gx does

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. I prefer you buy the old model. It doesn't really matter. Just saying.
2. It's an SD card, and yes, that's all you need.
3. CFG-Loader is very popular, but WiiFlow and USB Loader GX are good too. However, in your case, you seem to be a noob, so I recommend WiiFlow.
4. USB Loaders use Ocarina cheats. Get them from Shano56's link. In WiiFlow/CFG/USB Loader GX settings you choose the path to the cheats.

firepixiedarien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thx for the help you 2! Just one last thing:

Will any USB hard drive work, or does it have to be very specific?

Like: only use Western Digital, don't use anything over 500 gigs, only use a drive with an RPM of 7200 etc

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The last question is tricky. Not all harddisks work on the wii.

There is a list with compatible harddisks, but it's outdated and not very accurate.

Harddisks with a size exceeding 1.5TB usually have a 4KB cluster size. Not all wii homebrew applications handle this properly.

USB 3.0 compatible harddisks tend to initialise slower. This doesn't always work well on the wii either.

Mobile harddisks often have a spindown feature. When they aren't accessed for a while, the motor is turned off to save battery power and extend the mechanical life.
The wii doen't handle this very well.

I have best experience with a low cost 2.5 inch enclosure with a portable pc harddisk in it.
If things don't work and you bought it locally, you can always return the harddisk to the shop to minimise your loss.

The enclosure I use cost 16 euro. No big deal. It's an eminent 2.5inch portable sata harddisk enclosure. The harddisk in it is a western digital 500GB Scorpio Black.
2.5 inch harddisks usually don't need an external supply. Because of that, I prefer them.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Like: only use Western Digital, don't use anything over 500 gigs, only use a drive with an RPM of 7200 etc

I'd recommend using Western Digital. You can get 1TB really cheap and it works great.

As for a question: Is there any media player that will play hd videos and movies without playback lag? I don't know why it does lag, but I don't care if they are displayed in 1080p, I just wish I could watch em through the t.v. via the wii instead of on my laptop. Thanks,

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd recommend using Western Digital. You can get 1TB really cheap and it works great.

As for a question: Is there any media player that will play hd videos and movies without playback lag? I don't know why it does lag, but I don't care if they are displayed in 1080p, I just wish I could watch em through the t.v. via the wii instead of on my laptop. Thanks,
For the question: The wii only outputs at 480p at max, so playing 1080p is pointless. Play a lower quality version, and the lag will go away while still displaying good.

wii knee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the question is, 'which player is best' he doesn't need it to be 1080 just wants to watch from wii.

WiiMC and Mplayer CE are two proven tools. WiiMC has been getting some recent updating though there are still some issues. Choose or convert movies to a lower bitrate to minimize stuttering (as even x264 mkv standarad defs can do). You can keep vids on your HDD or learn how to set up SMB share to view it over wireless network in your home from your PC.

kikujade

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to the latest version of HBC 1.1.0 and bootmii 1.4, but now, every time that I turn on the wii, it boots from bootmii instead of the system menu, so what is going on??. I installed it on boot2, I have the 4.1U firmware version, I have priiloader installed, on the bootmii.ini file I have autoboot=sysmenu, I have on the priiloader>system hacks>autoboot=sysmenu. The problem is only solved when I uninstall bootmii, anybody have a better solution?? If possible I'd like to keep bootmii on boot2, but not if it means that I can't boot directly to the system menu.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to the latest version of HBC 1.1.0 and bootmii 1.4, but now, every time that I turn on the wii, it boots from bootmii instead of the system menu, so what is going on??. I installed it on boot2, I have the 4.1U firmware version, I have priiloader installed, on the bootmii.ini file I have autoboot=sysmenu, I have on the priiloader>system hacks>autoboot=sysmenu. The problem is only solved when I uninstall bootmii, anybody have a better solution?? If possible I'd like to keep bootmii on boot2, but not if it means that I can't boot directly to the system menu.
Bootmii as boot2 (by default) always boots to itself. Open the bootmii.ini file inside of the bootmii folder on your SD card. Change the line than says:

AUTOBOOT=OFF

To

AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

That should do it.

tortuga7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys i am literally about to break my wii I have the new version the one with no gamecube ports USA version ive install the homebrew channel and bootmii as IOS using letterbomb (it was the only option i had) then i downloaded a hack pack so i can install WADS and other apps but whem i load up bootmii wiimote lost sync and power reset and eject buttons would power off reset or eject instead of moving sideways and selecting like before i'm a professional NOOB its my first wii can anyone help.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where are people getting this lame hack pack that doesn't explain the difference between Bootmii and a wad installer? Bootmii is the screen that shows four graphical buttons and the word "Bootmii" at the bottom left. If it doesn't look something like that, it's not Bootmii.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys i am literally about to break my wii I have the new version the one with no gamecube ports USA version ive install the homebrew channel and bootmii as IOS using letterbomb (it was the only option i had) then i downloaded a hack pack so i can install WADS and other apps but whem i load up bootmii wiimote lost sync and power reset and eject buttons would power off reset or eject instead of moving sideways and selecting like before i'm a professional NOOB its my first wii can anyone help.
WTF is a hack pack.. you talking about those bull shit torrents. or following some jack asses youtube video? go to mod mii thread or read hack any wii an download it an hack your wii the proper way.
your right your a professional noob. cause only they are the ones that would do some thing so damn stupid.

SalvadorOliveira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
have 4.3U, homebrew channel, and USB loader GX.

I'm trying to get "My Fitness Coach" working, but loading it only gives me a black screen that I can't do anything with.

any way I can remedy this?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have 4.3U, homebrew channel, and USB loader GX.

I'm trying to get "My Fitness Coach" working, but loading it only gives me a black screen that I can't do anything with.

any way I can remedy this?
yep, do as it was suggested in the post you started the other day an post a system check.

dg1962

Trophies
XP
Country
ok under noob section as not had issue for ages, ok on start up wii screen says "repairing do not switch power off" left it like this for 3-4 hours still the same. So powered down ( properly wrong thing but it was doing nothing) tried to boot into preloader by holding reset button please confirm this is correct way to load preloader.
However no joy still got "repairing" screen.
Is it bricked ??
All my games are on a external drive so can i get back from here or is it a paper wieght??
Not sure how this happened but boy was playing on it last week he says he has not done anything BUT LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol