Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
First, make a nand backup.

2nd, use ModMii to rehack your Wii keeping the region Japanese for the time being (tell it that its a virgin even though its not, and instead of using bannerbomb to launch the hackmii installer, just launch it from the HBC). Also tell it you want to update to 4.2 or 4.3 (this way a new system menu will be installed, ensuring that it will solve your semi-brick problem if its the result of a corrupt system menu installation). This will also update all your softmods so your problematic games will start working.

3rd, u can use "wiimod" to region change back to USA, be sure to read up on how to do it. IIRC u just need to install the US system menu wad (and it's system menu IOS if you're changing version #s) then go to WiiMod's region settings and also change that to US.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It makes no difference as long as the wads install okay.

the later versions of cIOS249 have speed improvements and also include the version patch. Older versions of cIOS249 may not include the version patch (meaning u wont be able to install a wad with a lower version number than the one that is currently installed... ie. without the version patch u wont be able to install cIOS249v17 if cIOS249v21 is currently installed, at least not without first using any title deleter to delete the current file, which can be dangerous if u don't know what ur doing).

IOS236 included the version patch almost immediately after its initial release... so chances are good that if u have IOS236 installed then it also has the version patch.... and it's not much slower than newest versions of cIOS249 anyways.

So in the end, it doesn't really matter, but I'd use 236 just so u don't need to worry about whether your version of cIOS249 has the version patch or not.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
It makes no difference as long as the wads install okay.

the later versions of cIOS249 have speed improvements and also include the version patch.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. cIOS v17 uses base 38, and only base 38, and installs the trucha, es_identify (version), and NAND patch. Newer versions of wanin's installer can use other bases and sometimes only give one or two of those patches.

daytona666

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i would just like to say a big thanks to xflak.

Followed your advice and downloaded your modmii programme, have updated my wii, also now running the red theme. The programme is fantastic, i would and will recommend it to anyone and everyone.

If anyone is out there and thinking about modding your wii for the first time... use this app. Makes everything a whole lot easier and straightforward.

(Still cant get the backup dvd game to play but going to try from usb instead).

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
daytona666 said:
(Still cant get the backup dvd game to play but going to try from usb instead).
If the wii was made bought within the past year or so, it probably has one of the DVD drives that makes loading anything but retail games impossible. USB loading is the way to go anyways, it is far better than disk loading.

Diet

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the easiest way to edit a save file on the wii?
Is it possible to edit a save file without installing any software on the wii (such as, put the save on a SD and modify it on a computer)?
If possible, which software is the easiest to use? Is there a method to hex edit saves?

In comparison, for my xbox saves you just plug a usb stick into the xbox, save onto it, plug it into the computer, decrypt using a program, hexedit/use a save editor, encrypt, and plug it back in and it works.
Is there something similar like that for wii? (The one for xbox is called modio)

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Diet said:
Is it possible to edit a save file without installing any software on the wii (such as, put the save on a SD and modify it on a computer)?
If possible, which software is the easiest to use? Is there a method to hex edit saves?

In comparison, for my xbox saves you just plug a usb stick into the xbox, save onto it, plug it into the computer, decrypt using a program, hexedit/use a save editor, encrypt, and plug it back in and it works.
Is there something similar like that for wii? (The one for xbox is called modio)
AFAIK, there isn't an off-Wii save decrypter. You need to use a program on the Wii that saves the save to the SD card without encrypting it. Then you can hex-edit the save.

Diet

Trophies
XP
Country
Krestent said:
Diet said:

AFAIK, there isn't an off-Wii save decrypter. You need to use a program on the Wii that saves the save to the SD card without encrypting it. Then you can hex-edit the save.

I assume it would then let you return the save game back into the wii after having been edited?

Ultimately I'm looking for the most non-invasive way to do this, I don't want to get banned from whatever online component there is in the wii as I just ordered a new one that's coming this weekend, or do anything that is considered high risk of damaging the machine permanently. How "altering" is it to add a program that would decrypt saves from the wii? How frowned upon is it by Nintendo? I'm mostly looking at just changing things like money in rpgs or unlocking things that take large amounts of time, nothing online related.

Edit: also, thanks for the replys, any information is much appreciated.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Diet said:
Krestent said:
Diet said:

I assume it would then let you return the save game back into the wii after having been edited?

Ultimately I'm looking for the most non-invasive way to do this, I don't want to get banned from whatever online component there is in the wii as I just ordered a new one that's coming this weekend, or do anything that is considered high risk of damaging the machine permanently. How "altering" is it to add a program that would decrypt saves from the wii? How frowned upon is it by Nintendo? I'm mostly looking at just changing things like money in rpgs or unlocking things that take large amounts of time, nothing online related.

Edit: also, thanks for the replys, any information is much appreciated.
The only way to get banned from Nintendo WFC is to cheat while playing a game on an online match. This isn't Microsoft.
You will need to follow the softmodding guide (use ModMii in XFlak's signature) to be able to run SaveGame Manager GX; this will allow you to save decrypted saves to your SD card. If your Wii breaks and you send it in to Nintendo, if they find traces of homebrew they will charge you a fine to fix your Wii.

b2cool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Pimp my Wii ver. 2.21(new, came out sometime last week or so) to get all my IOS.
When Conduit 2 is in the wii drive, wii system update appears in the disc channel.
Do i update or just keep running C2 on gekco?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
b2cool said:
I used Pimp my Wii ver. 2.21(new, came out sometime last week or so) to get all my IOS.
When Conduit 2 is in the wii drive, wii system update appears in the disc channel.
Don't update. If you want to run official games through the Disc Channel, use StartPatch or Priiloader to enable Block Disc Updates.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Krestent said:
b2cool said:
Don't update. If you want to run official games through the Disc Channel, use StartPatch or Priiloader to enable Block Disc Updates.
@b2cool: Stay away from Brick-My-Wii in the future.
I suggest using Priiloader over StartPatch, since Priiloader is far easier to use.

Lexxxy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, new to modding the wii, have followed a few guides to mod my virgin wii around 2 weeks ago (Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below) and used Smash Stack, I have also installed Configurable USB loader as a channel and installed Hermes' IOS222/223. Now I have not got a hard drive yet but have tested with an 8GB Flashdrive and everything works great.

Now my problem is that 1 game I tried (Klonoa) from disc, neogamma gives me a green screen and from configuable USB loader I just get a black screen, I have tried changing the options on both but had no luck. I have looked on google and one site (wiihacks) said I need to install CIOS 37 to get it working but that thread was 2 years old.

So a few questions:

Do some games require you to install certain types of IOS and CIOS?
Is it safe to install these or are there some to watch out for? (I know not to go uninstalling them)
How do I install them and will it help me in booting troublesome games?

Heres my Syscheck log if you need it

Code:
Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: xxxx
Boot2 v4

Found 75 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 13 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6943): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249 (rev 21): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 2011/05/14.

Any help, thanks

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lexxxy said:
Hi, new to modding the wii, have followed a few guides to mod my virgin wii around 2 weeks ago (Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below) and used Smash Stack, I have also installed Configurable USB loader as a channel and installed Hermes' IOS222/223. Now I have not got a hard drive yet but have tested with an 8GB Flashdrive and everything works great.

Now my problem is that 1 game I tried (Klonoa) from disc, neogamma gives me a green screen and from configuable USB loader I just get a black screen, I have tried changing the options on both but had no luck. I have looked on google and one site (wiihacks) said I need to install CIOS 37 to get it working but that thread was 2 years old.
how old is your wii? only the older wii's can play DVD's.....no amount of sotmodding will fix this...

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lexxxy said:
I can load other games fine from disc, just not klonoa
ahhh....i didn't gather that from your original post....

if what Joostin suggests doesn't work, then i would think it has to be a bad burn or a bad image....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN