Hacking No System Updates From Nintendo In A While?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
To put and end to it, there's next to nothing ninty can do to block or stop systems with a9lh and a firm partition protection cfw (luma, saltfw, shadownand).

Ninty needed a downgrade free ofw for the Sun/Moon bundle. They got it, it's 11.0. Yeah, you can still go hardmod on that but great part of the people won't do it. In the meantime, blocking downgrades also blocked new installations of a9lh or emunand on those ofw 11.0 systems. They are still vulnerable to flashcards. As they know they would. But that's about it.

Below 11.0, it's still pirate land. Specially below 10.5. There's nothing to do against ye olde emunand users nor the new a9lh collective. There's nothing to add to 11.0 as it's stable enough. And please remember, for ninty 3ds is a decaying platform and has replacement being planned right now.

ukee

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
inb4 12.0 - Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

but in all seriousness, they probably have their people working on that Nintendo NX thing more than the 3DS

Reactions: Deleted User

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
But it's different in this case

I mean, it's a kernal exploit that allows pirated games on the latest FW

It's so weird that they don't care that much about that

We are not in the caring game right now. Ninty has to be careful on where and how puts his efforts into doing things. While we break systems for fun, ninty develops systems for money. It's a business. They have vast but finite amount of resources. We are right in the zone where ninty might not want to put that amount of effort into the 3DS and instead focus into things more profitables or at least with the capacity of returning the effort investment.

They are in a position where the WiiU failed to reach their expectatives in sales by far and are risking quite an amount of money into the next generation in a bet that they may win, or not. They probably want to win the bet, and the chances of winning depend almost exclusively on the effort put into the bet.

So they may care about it? Yes. I think they just don't want to put the level of effort needed to release 2 week updates to this system anymore. They know they have got into something with 11.0 and for now we haven't found our way across. For the looks of it, getting across 11.0 could take a while. They may believe this too. If I were them, I would take my time to properly step up the security in the system (Looking at the past, they have screwed things every now and then).

Last thing I would like to pinpoint. a9lh is not really a kernel exploit. It's just an exploit which coincidentally happens in the arm9 side of the system, quite early. This doesn't directly allow pirated games. CFWs do the signature disabling patches to a firm. You can in fact run some CFWs for arm9 without signature patches and that would not allow pirated games.

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If nintendo felt like it, they would've patched ah9l any day. The problem it that way. They might be figuring out a way to get rid of it completely, since it's definitely possible. If people are able to patch it to work with CFW then they can patch it so it won't work.

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
11.0 was nintendo's biggest firmware update, 12.0 will basically mean NO HACKING
Wishful thinking. Nintendo is so inept at patching their own systems that they'd probably introduce a brand new exploit.
Hackers know the 3DS better than Nintendo itself. Wish I could say the same about the Vita scene...

Orkna

Trophies
XP
Country
If nintendo felt like it, they would've patched ah9l any day. The problem it that way. They might be figuring out a way to get rid of it completely, since it's definitely possible. If people are able to patch it to work with CFW then they can patch it so it won't work.

Then we patch the patch that patches the patch.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a Vita scene? Sarcastic
If there was, don't you think more Vita would sell? Too bad. There are not enough games I'd like to play but if Vita mode had emulators? Damn we could be doing crazy stuff probably. Only psp mode is mod-able from what I know.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, like updates are going do anything. Nintendo is going to add something stupid and useless again, and then fuck up with that, and then another exploit is going to be found. It's a never ending process. I think they are going to give up soon enough.

jk im just talking shit but who knows :^)
I think Nintendo should stop while they're ahead until someone finds what could essentially be a new memchunkhax2, or they find some other good reason to release a new update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-