"No Overlays Found - place your overlays files in the overlays folder".

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having issues installing some games, so I've been advised to install Tesla and Overlays. I have no idea what these things do or how they'll install games for me, but I've followed the steps regardless. When I open Tesla using the L+ dpad down + R3 button press, I get the following error message;

What does this mean?

I've already added Overlays from nx-ovlloader to the relevant folder which is;
Atmosphere>Contents>420000000007E51A

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've already added Overlays from nx-ovlloader
That's not an overlay, that's a sysmodule responsible for loading overlays.

I'm having issues installing some games, so I've been advised to install Tesla and Overlays.
Either this is a misunderstanding, or whoever advised you is a complete ignorant. There is not even one overlay that will help you with installing games. They have other use.

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not an overlay, that's a sysmodule responsible for loading overlays.

Either this is a misunderstanding, or whoever advised you is a complete ignorant. There is not even one overlay that will help you with installing games. They have other use.

Thanks, I was advised in this very forum;
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tinfoil...r-install-unsigned-code.643442/#post-10307382

Every time I ask a question I get told to download something but the link for the download isn't the right one so I just feel like I'm going round in circles when my question was simply how to resolve the issue of 80% of games simply failing to install

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having issues installing some games, so I've been advised to install Tesla and Overlays. I have no idea what these things do or how they'll install games for me, but I've followed the steps regardless. When I open Tesla using the L+ dpad down + R3 button press, I get the following error message;

What does this mean?

I've already added Overlays from nx-ovlloader to the relevant folder which is;
Atmosphere>Contents>420000000007E51A

TL;DR: Overlays go in SD/switch/.overlays not in atmosphere/contents. The sys-patch overlay keeps your sigpatches up to date, which allows you to run installed games not install them in the first place. You need to allow Tinfoil to install unsigned files in its option menu, or get your games from a different source.

Overlays are a way of accessing some homebrew when a game is open e.g. to activate cheats (Edizon et al.), change your overclock settings (sys-clk) or monitor framerate (Status-Monitor). They go in the '.overlays' folder in the 'switch' folder on the root of your SD card. This should Just Work if you install them the way many utilities suggest of dragging the 'switch' folder into your SD card and choosing to merge. If the overlay you want to install comes as a single .ovl file, you will need to put it in the 'overlays' folder yourself, and depending on your computer's operating system you may need to 'show hidden files' to make it appear. E.g. Mac OS uses the dot at the start of a file name for hidden items, so the folder you are looking for may not appear in the file manager without setting this option.

The items you load from the Homebrew Menu (replaces Album when not pressing R; overrides a game when holding R to access more memory) go directly in 'switch'; overlays go inside the folder within 'switch'. Tesla is the homebrew that runs the menu you open with L+down+Rstick. If you put the overlays in the contents folder you mention, Tesla won't be able to find them.

Looking at your post in the other thread, you are being told to get the overlay menu so you can access sys-patch. This homebrew generates your signature patches (allowing you to play ahem… backups) automatically so you don't need to update them manually as frequently when new official system updates or versions of Atmosphère are released, and is programmed as an overlay rather than a homebrew menu item. This will hopefully fix your problem with running installed games, though I recently had problems with games failing to open that needed me to update my sigpatches manually too. Maybe I didn't turn the console all the way off, so sys-patch would run?

Your other problems with 'unsigned code' in Tinfoil is when the file you're installing has been converted (from an XCI back into NSP) in a way that loses the info about it being an official game that hasn't been tampered with, and to allow you to install this potentially dodgy file, you need to enter the Konami Code into the relevant bit of the options menu to tell Tinfoil you think you know what you're doing.

Last edited by emcintosh,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This homebrew generates your signature patches (allowing you to play ahem… backups) automatically so you don't need to update them manually as frequently when new official system updates or versions of Atmosphère are released, and is programmed as an overlay rather than a homebrew menu item.
Overlay is for managing sysmodule and seeing if patches were applied correctly on boot. Sysmodule by default automatically applies all opt-out patches on boot (opt-out are fs, es and loader, opt-in is nimf which is not related to running backups), so as I said, there is no need for overlays to install backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto