No more need for flashcards with the DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by NeSchn, Oct 2, 2008.

Oct 2, 2008
  1. NeSchn
    OP

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Hmm, I wonder with the addition of an SD Card slot if there will be a need for flashcards anymore. I wonder if it will turn out to be the same thing with PSP, put a custom firmware on and just simply pop the games on to the SD card and play.

2. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    in the recent survey made by me
    people said:
    55% no and 45% yes

3. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    It will probably work like hacking the Wii, i.e. using a special save file like the Twilight Hack. Then you can use the SD to load homebrew.

But unless they do something to change the way all the older DS games work, the flash carts will probably work still.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    that could be nintendo intention? they can't beat the hackers, so mite as well make flashkart companies bankrupt?

5. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    It could be possible since some people have already hacked today's DS firmwares (Flashme and that fake firmware which bricks your DS). Someone's gotta find a way to dump the DSi's firmware though if it blocks all current flashcarts.

6. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    were a year away from seeing it in america and the west. so why worry
    the guys in japan will crack it way before it gets released here

7. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
  8. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Good article, the guy makes sense..

But all I've got to say to them....yes, I believe that they have to fear hackers!!

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Actually, that makes sense... The will never stop piracy, but they can at least stop people from making money off of it.

10. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Actually, when you think of it, yes it makes perfect sense....Because most of "developers" doesn't earn nothing, but flashcart companies earn big money....

Hmmmm, could it be that Nintendo thought like that, and that's the reason why they used SD slot?

11. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I believe that flashcards wont cut it anymore. But most probably some sort of custom firmware. Either way it will take some time after the relase of the DSi for people and flashcard companies to figure a way out. I think we should wait abit after the realse of the DSi to see what all the flahcard companies reaction to it will be dont you think ?

I mean lets face it, Nintendo is aware about flashcards and what they can and are able to do, i highly doubt that they wilkl make the same mistake again, but still that wont stop us from trying [​IMG]

12. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    It's a very high possibility now that you mention it... I believe finding an exploit that would allow to go around the OS security and run NDS code could be very possible... now imagine if they also add in the extra goodies like ingame brightness and realtime save and codes... the new DS could spell the end of even the best flashcarts out there, not to mention it uses SD memory which is cheaper. So if it doesn't break flashcart compatibility it'll replace them huh? Either way it ends the flashcart era... ALL THE MORE REASON TO AVOID IT.

13. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    They won't make the same mistakes again, but I am sure they will make just as many if not more new ones, and us pirates will find the chinks in their armour and fire our cannons at them [​IMG]

14. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    wasn't it possible to play PSP iso's on the SD card once downgraded?

15. Ssseth

Member Ssseth GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yes, I can play PSP iso's on my memory stick. That and emulator's, video, mp3's, homebrew, etc. The PSP is a better homebrew device and has a nicer screen, but overall the DS has more fun games imo.

16. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Pirates don't find the exploits, hackers do. When's the last time you found an exploit in a system?

17. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Back in 1998 I was trying to get past a mother's password at a friend we regularly had sleepovers at. We fiddled with the admin logging screen and ended up accessing help, and then from help we found the options to print the help page. When an installed printer could not be found... I believe it was something like that, it asked us to browse for one and through that browser window you could access any file, ugh where do I remember using help's search as a vital step in this... anyways we launched Worms. [​IMG] It was something like that I dun remember well.

18. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Nice one! Still comes under hacking though! [​IMG] What was the system, Win95/98?

19. crazyshiza

Member crazyshiza GBAtemp Regular

that's pretty sweet, lol

20. Syncr

Newcomer Syncr Member

United States
    well......nintendo may of messed up.....
    they will now bring more piraters in because some people dont have a flash cart, or have a gnm, which means that once it is hacked.....this could bring many piraters