No Man's Sky Beyond update arrives on August 14th

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 2, 2019.

Front-page

Despite a rocky launch and negative initial reception, Hello Games has been continually working upon improving 2016's No Man's Sky. The team's latest major content update, titled Beyond, has just been given a release date, set for later this month. Announced back in March, Beyond will have three major additions to the core game: VR support, new changes to the online function that will "encourage players to meet and play together", and a "mystery" feature, which hasn't been revealed yet. The free update will be available on all current platforms, when it rolls out on August 14th.

lordelan, Xzi, Darksabre72 and 2 others like this.
    Discussion (16 replies)
  1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As usual in these threads, I'd like to say how glad I am Hello games didn't just abandon ship after their shit practices and awful launch, and actually bothered to at least improve upon their initial release. These big updates have been quite nice.

I'm excited to see how the VR aspect turns out, that sounds like it could be a great addition if it's properly developed and not just some shoe-in.

2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    So basically all ye have paid for an unfinished game?? :P

3. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Awesome! Glad to see Hello Games has a new update just over the horizon.

Been hoping for a release date for a while now, I plan to start a new save when this update drops so I can relearn all the new mechanics that have changed since NEXT.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Aug 2, 2019
  4. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere Thank you for calling tech support this is mike

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    If you want a true space sim
    Check out elite dangerous
    No mans sky is good and i'm happy for its progress

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  5. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    while I am impressed they have been maintaining updates to fulfill their promises, the 2016 was basically an unfinished game. that's not really a good trend in gaming.

6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    99 percent of developers can take an example from Hello games. Hello games got a lot of deserved shit for what they did but the funny thing is every big studio now these days is doing exactly the same and aren't getting the same shit Hello games got. For all the shit they got well they're the prime example of a developer that does care about the game they make. They're still giving free updates and DLC after all this time just because they care for the customers they still have and because they have the passion to do so. I can only congratulate Hello games for sticking with it despite all the hate they got and instead of abandoning ship like all companies do these days they stuck with it and changed their ways. Almost every big studio can learn from them how it needs to be done and can be done.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There's taking a bite that's too big to chew and then there's trying to create a dynamically generated universe. This would've been a tall order for seasoned veterans, let alone a small indie studio trying to make a name for itself. I'm glad that they stuck to it and made the game better over the years, I reviewed it back when it was new and I've got it installed ready for when VR support drops. I'm eager to give it another spin and see all the new content they're planning to add.

8. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I kno for fact I crafted more antimatters than ther is wii u games :D

9. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Id appreciate if they made an optimization update, but with all these new additions, I don't think that's posible. Anyway, I might get on board again...when having the chance.

10. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    It is a good thing they didn't just abandon ship after the bad release couple years back.

11. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Directions unclear, checked out the original Elite on the BBC micro

Foxi4 likes this.
  12. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Shit I appreciate the talent and effort tht went into tht game but i couldn't get into it I was more into elite games:D https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Systems- shit they are still about though could be trouble thts a shame-who remembers the elite logo

BORTZ likes this.
  13. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere Thank you for calling tech support this is mike

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Never played it
    Might check it out :ninja:

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I tried it at launch, and I tried it again last year, the game had already been improved a lot.
    reworked HUD and menus, third person view, multiplayer could meet, create your base, etc.
    I had lot of difficulties continuing it, I felt lost with the new interface. I think starting a new game/save would be better to get all the tutorials with new features and menus.

MythicalData likes this.
  15. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    If they keep updating like this I might just buy this (I was interested at first, but didn't have good enough hardware (I do now)/heard all the crap people had to say about it at launch/thereafter)

16. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I refunded at launch, but this game always seemed like a perfect fit for VR, so I bought it again in a recent sale when this update was announced. It's definitely quite improved from its launch state, and I look forward to even more improvements with Beyond.

x65943 and Xabring like this.