No HDMI output when docked, okay as a handheld

WadsRUs Jan 4, 2019.

1. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    Too many people have docked mode issues for different reasons. This model of switch is not an example of quality product.

Mizo likes this.
  2. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    I had one switch before port was very messed up and after port replacement switch wouldn't boot at all.... after video chip replacement it started to work perfectly fine. Switch has exactly the same problem as PS4: Panasonic filters and chips are terrible to any sorts of shorts at the port... you need to check filters first and replace shorted or those that aren't have continuity if that will not help... probably you need to replace Video Chip...

Also you can try to flip docking station motherboard or use SFANS Adapter, i have seen information in internet from the people with same problems they were able to run docking mode from other side of the port.

Pintglass likes this.
  3. Mizo

Mizo はじめまして私わみぞです、よろしく。

May 27, 2016
    United States
    Now all my USB ports are dead! fck Nintendo and their broken dock and console...

4. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    Is it just happened randomly or after some actions?

5. SENSENuii

SENSENuii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2019
    Japan
    Last edited by SENSENuii, Jul 14, 2019
  6. aak

aak Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2016
    United States
    this video is from youtube with a similar problem

and thats the strange thing. why does the switch remove options for 720p and 1080p software wise if the damage has happened to the hardware

7. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    I think my story can help some one.

2 days ago i got totally dead switch with 0.13 Amps on a charge.
    I checked M92T36 and P13USB were shorted and one line of the HDMI coil wasn't reading thru.
    Replaced all of them, system boots up and worked fine but doesn't worked with a Dock(just green light on the dock).
    Next i checked USB-C port with a microscope and found that port had missing pads, replaced the port... still no signal...

I have 6 donor boards with different revisions and i noticed that on my HAC-CPU-10 board i didn't have some resistor and capacitor from the factory, decided to take a gamble place them and everything is works perfectly fine now... May be from the factory they used custom version of P13 chip that had custom lines inside.

Check image what elements you need to check.

Attached Files:

111.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited by Agilato, Aug 19, 2019
  8. Weisian

Weisian Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks Agilato, ill be sure to check my switch for the resistors and capacitors at those locations.

What i also dont understand is why the switch i have doesnt dock AND does is not detected by the computer when plugged in (but charges). Is data transfer handled by the P13USB chip as well?

9. SolidSnakeUk89

SolidSnakeUk89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Around the world
    PI3USB and all of the little caps and the Panasonic chokes would be my guess to star with when there is mo docked images

HOWEVER... I've has a couple of switches where replacing M92T36 makes video work again.. since the m92 chip negotiates power delivery it could be that even though the SOC gets the matrix connection there is no enough power on the video rail to derivate to the USB port...

You could give it a go if not tried yet

10. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    There is a-lot happening, problem is that we don't have schematics... we can just guess...

SolidSnakeUk89 likes this.
  11. SolidSnakeUk89

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Around the world
    Im thinking just try to "build" a OpenBoardView schematic myself.. I have a couple of donor boards that have all the chips now been taken so yesterday I was looking at the board and thinking hmmm if I get the fibreglass pen out and start scratching I may get to see the layers!! ahahahaha

such a shame we have to work like this :(

12. bootaholic

bootaholic Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    United States
    Same issue here... Console had bad charge port, replaced it with a new one. Console charges and is recognized by computer, no display when docked. Green light comes on on the dock. So, I replaced every "typical" chip on the board with all known good ones, no change....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

13. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    Check HDMI chokes and resistors near p13usb chip, HDMI chokes get bad very easy same problem we have on PS4

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I had one switch with no Joy-Con connection... i repaired 6 internal traces spent 4 long nights testing and jumping around with a tester... didn't worked...

SolidSnakeUk89 likes this.
  14. bootaholic

bootaholic Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    United States
    Wow... Replaced all 5, works perfect! You're the man!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Agilato likes this.
  15. SolidSnakeUk89

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Around the world
    oh man.. thats a baller :(

these consoles have a mind of its own! lol

16. Weisian

Weisian Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2019
    Australia
    Again apologies in reviving an old post.

Agilato, the resistor and capacitor that you have marked in red in the images (particularly the ones right under the PI3USB chip), did they all have continuity to ground on one side when you tested them? Two of the resistors or caps that you circled underneath the PI3USB chip on mine show no continuity to ground on either side.

As for abit of an update, i've tested all the filters below PI3USB on my switch and it all looks like all filters are okay.

Thanks again for any help.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted