Nintendo's president wants to see post launch DLC for its biggest titles

ZQJuIiI.png

Love it or hate it, downloadable content is around to stay, in both the form of minor cosmetics such as in Fortnite, or with major story and gameplay extras such as Spider-Man. In regards to Nintendo, the company seems to sit on the sidelines, offering major season passes for certain games like Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, slight additions in Breath of the Wild, or nothing at all in Super Mario Odyssey. These things might change in the near future, though, due to a new comment from Nintendo's president, Shuntaro Furukawa. During a meeting with a Bloomberg journalist, Furukawa made a handful of statements about Nintendo's current success and their plans for upcoming content on the Nintendo Switch. As far as holiday game releases go, Nintendo has nothing to announce for the Holiday 2018 season, and all their games slated for 2018 have already been in Nintendo Direct showcases. Furukawa also mentioned that Nintendo's growth as a gaming company is dependent on new titles, major content updates, DLC, and online play for the Nintendo Switch. His exact quote was:

We need continuous growth. We must keep releasing new software. That includes DLCs and other contents for big titles that are already out. And more focus on online play. Lastly, more genres and diverse games to draw in people who don't currently play on Switch.

With a such a stance on downloadable content for games that have already released, we could perhaps see DLC for titles such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which would benefit from more tracks, or Super Mario Odyssey, a game that has already seen post-launch support in the form of new costumes and the Balloon World mode, but could offer brand new experiences in the form of new levels or moons to collect.

What are your thoughts? Are you wary of a future where post-launch DLC could require you as a consumer to spend more on your favorite games, or would you prefer even more content to play through and have fun with?

:arrow: Source

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would pay for DLC on Nintendo IPs because they are good and already ship with a full game in the box. This allows me to reenjoy games that I put a lot of hours into and have beaten the stock content to death.

D

Deleted User

At least Nintendo gives us a full game before DLC. Such as MK 8's original release still having 32 tracks before DLC or SSB 4 having a large roster at the start.
lol, it starts small, and then they become EA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's happening
they're slowly becoming like ubisoft or EA
give them a few more years and all their games will be an artifical grindfest of microtransactions and lootboxes

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DLC and expansions are always welcome, unless its something stupid that shoulda been in the game to begin with like Soulcalibur VI's Tira or more clothing options....

if Breath of the Wild wanted to drop an expansion with new lands, new adventure, new modes, and multiplayer, i'd be willing to pay a good penny. Hell if they just straight ripped off Shadow of War and let you make an army of Bokoblins and Moblins, as a Ganon Leiutenant i'd be happy. or if they tried translating their previous adventures into breath i'd be happy

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate the fact that most of you guys treat DLC as the new normal. It fucking sucks. I want the full game. In a few years, if not already, you will look forward to the new loot boxes in Mario Odyssey 2. It's a bad fucking idea.

I hate that people are still apparently inbred and don't understand logic. Do you know what post-launch DLC is? It's where devs finish a game, and then further support the game with new content.
How anyone could ever be mad a game is being supported and receiving new content is truly baffling. Especially given Nintendo so far has a clean history of not cutting content for DLC in any of their games.

Nintendo is a large company. They can work on new games, and support existing ones just fine. So far all they've done is add quality content to every game they've made DLC for. Their track record is clean. Try removing your head from your ass and stop screeching what other retards are screeching at the clouds with no logical backing.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people seem to be against DLC, but I for one can get behind it as long as it's meaningful and the quality is good, and doesn't take away from core game development. If we're just talking a few costumes for something though, I'm not going for it. Also, I can actually see multiplayer being fun for BOTW if they were to do a Four Swords Adventure type of thing with it.

It's happening
they're slowly becoming like ubisoft or EA
give them a few more years and all their games will be an artifical grindfest of microtransactions and lootboxes

I'm pretty sure Nintendo realizes how disastrous microtransactions and loot boxes are for console games, especially with the whole debacle that got EA in trouble.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

"biggest titles"

RIP in peace, games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just afraid of Nintendo getting a little too comfortable with DLC. We don't want Nintendo to start having bad habits.
Never mind that Switch games on cards hardly even have the full game on it anymore. Usually, you need to download it.

Get used to it, they said.

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to see dlc for Zelda to add the second screen functionality back on the WiiU version. I'll pay $5 for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then whats qbits?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A type of fish
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna do my homework
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    see ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Man steams only downloading 15mbps
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, wdym thats quite fast
    Just upgraded to 1Gbps Internet, it was cheaper than the other company by a few bucks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just upgraded to 1Gbps Internet, it was cheaper than the other company by a few bucks lol