1. 7,406

Front-page
    ZQJuIiI.png

Love it or hate it, downloadable content is around to stay, in both the form of minor cosmetics such as in Fortnite, or with major story and gameplay extras such as Spider-Man. In regards to Nintendo, the company seems to sit on the sidelines, offering major season passes for certain games like Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, slight additions in Breath of the Wild, or nothing at all in Super Mario Odyssey. These things might change in the near future, though, due to a new comment from Nintendo's president, Shuntaro Furukawa. During a meeting with a Bloomberg journalist, Furukawa made a handful of statements about Nintendo's current success and their plans for upcoming content on the Nintendo Switch. As far as holiday game releases go, Nintendo has nothing to announce for the Holiday 2018 season, and all their games slated for 2018 have already been in Nintendo Direct showcases. Furukawa also mentioned that Nintendo's growth as a gaming company is dependent on new titles, major content updates, DLC, and online play for the Nintendo Switch. His exact quote was:

With a such a stance on downloadable content for games that have already released, we could perhaps see DLC for titles such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which would benefit from more tracks, or Super Mario Odyssey, a game that has already seen post-launch support in the form of new costumes and the Balloon World mode, but could offer brand new experiences in the form of new levels or moons to collect.

What are your thoughts? Are you wary of a future where post-launch DLC could require you as a consumer to spend more on your favorite games, or would you prefer even more content to play through and have fun with?

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (61 replies)

3. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Some DLC on Mario Kart would definitely help.

Maybe extend it to more Nintendo IPs.... I want Pikachu on a kart damnit!

4. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    At least Nintendo gives us a full game before DLC. Such as MK 8's original release still having 32 tracks before DLC or SSB 4 having a large roster at the start.

5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Nintendo is the one company that I'd willingly want to see tons of DLC for. More retro tracks for MK8D, or old school maps for Super Mario Party would have me opening my wallet so fast.

RedoLane, NoNAND, Victorum and 7 others like this.
  6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Post launch DLC is awesome. I'd love to see more content for games I love to play.

7. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

United States
    good joke nintendo

GilgameshArcher and paperycandy like this.
  8. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    More focus on online play? My banned switch is already crying and so am I.

GilgameshArcher and moneychild like this.
  9. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    I know its not Nintendo 1st party, but I love seeing all the Xenoblade 2 stuff. I cannot wait to get my hands all over that.

Issac, isanchez and CallmeBerto like this.
  10. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda
    Banned

Canada
    nice, but id prefer more first party title ;)

comput3rus3r likes this.
  11. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Or, as said, use the time to make new games.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  12. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nintendo need to concentrate on making more first party titles.

So many un-used great franchises like F-Zero, Metroid Prime, Earthbound which they just continue to ignore.

I think other companies which milk DLC like in the form of assasin's creed make sense; with Nintendo although the DLC has been very impressive at times (namely Mario Kart and Xenoblade 2), I'd still rather have dedicated titles.

TheMCNerd2017 likes this.
  13. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    Major DLC gives programmers paychecks while the next game is in the various initial development phases that don't use programmers. I'm good with this. Not that I know specifically how they handle their teams, but I'd imagine it's like most of them.

Last edited by osaka35, Oct 30, 2018
    Costello likes this.
  14. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    It would be awesome if they kept titles alive with a lot of DLCs when a successor isn't being considered yet. I can never get enough of new Mario Kart tracks.

15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Or both. I dunno if you know this, but Nintendo is a pretty big company. They can hire devs as needed.

gnmmarechal and CallmeBerto like this.
  16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Now I want to see characters have unique attacks in addition to the usual, similar to the recent Sonic Racing games.

17. Hozu

Hozu GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Um, Metroid Prime 4 was announced this past E3 (or was it last one?), though they had nothing to show because it was in development. And if you look at the Metroid series as a whole, Samus Returns remake of Metroid 2 was released not that long ago.

That being said, new F-Zero please.

18. Varia

Varia GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Err, Xenonblade 2 is first party. Nintendo fully owns Monolith Soft.

Anyhow, with Nintendo it could go both ways... Mario Kart 8 DLC was fantastic and well worth the money, but then you see stuff like Fire Emblem and Smash DLC which are way overpriced... With recent things we have Splatoon 2 DLC, which was a great expansion, though this really shouldve been the single player mode from the beginning, seeing as how barebones the game was.
    Then you have crap-tier dlc like BOTW's that locks hard mode behind a paywall and is pretty lame with not much content for way too much. So we'll see how it goes...

Last edited by Varia, Oct 30, 2018
    Enryx25 likes this.
  19. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The Lone Wanderer

United States
    Give me the story DLC. As long as it's for a series I love I'll buy it all.

Costello likes this.
  20. ExploitJunkie

ExploitJunkie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dear Nintendo,
    Stop Releasing games so fast. My 5 TB hard drive is starting to fill up fast at this point and I don't think its fair I have to buy another one soon to steal more or your shit...slow it down please. Thank you.

21. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You mean Double Dash 2 ? :P

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendos, president, biggest