Hacking Nintendont

MrRom92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should mention a compatibility issue with a controller... I went to target the other night to buy a pro controller and they were all out, but they had this one 3rd party pro controller that was see through and lit up blue, cost $40.... Half the time it just didn't work, the other half the time I had to hard reset the system because it would completely crash. Don't bother with it. went to a different store to get a real pro controller and it works without a hiccup! Was surprised to feel the rumble as well, I haven't felt rumble in a GC game in over a decade.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should mention a compatibility issue with a controller... I went to target the other night to buy a pro controller and they were all out, but they had this one 3rd party pro controller that was see through and lit up blue, cost $40.... Half the time it just didn't work, the other half the time I had to hard reset the system because it would completely crash. Don't bother with it. went to a different store to get a real pro controller and it works without a hiccup! Was surprised to feel the rumble as well, I haven't felt rumble in a GC game in over a decade.

Thats the Afterglow and it does work but ultimately it's crappy

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys! I just joined, but I have been following the progress of nintendont VERY closely, since the beginning when it was still crediar's baby. When he dropped the project I was a little worried but Ihave to extend a HUGE thanks to everyone involved in making this a reality and making it work so well. The lack of backwards compatibility is the one thing that put me off buying a wii u for the longest time - the system is clearly capable of it, it is only disabled due to nintendo greed IMO.

It is not necessarily greed. Remember that Nintendo couldn't even make a decent GBA emulator for the Wii U, they had to hire M2 to do it for them.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not necessarily greed. Remember that Nintendo couldn't even make a decent GBA emulator for the Wii U, they had to hire M2 to do it for them.

The GameCube games are not being emulated on the Wii U since they use same CPU architecture so they can run at full speed. Trying to run an N64 game on the Wii is another thing as the N64 uses a different CPU architecture. For the same reason that Dolphin still has major issues with some GameCube game where Nintendont doesn't.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The GameCube games are not being emulated on the Wii U since they use same CPU architecture so they can run at full speed. Trying to run an N64 game on the Wii is another thing as the N64 uses a different CPU architecture. For the same reason that Dolphin still has major issues with some GameCube game where Nintendont doesn't.

Yes but if Nintendo can't even write a simple GBA emulator with savestates what makes you think they are capable of writing something as complex as Nintendon't (or Devolution)? Hell, given the whole GBA VC fiasco I am surprised they managed to get vWii mode working.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah nintendo VC emulators arent that good the n64 always had framedrops and such they need to remake one for the wiiu thatsh the reason wiiu still doesnt have n64 games they are reamking the n64 emulator imo for atleast keep consistenty Frame rate, dkn why but most of their VC emulators arent even half decent compared to what the homebrew ones we got made by fans, they need to rehire some decent programers to write their VC titles especialy the n64 ones.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah nintendo VC emulators arent that good the n64 always had framedrops and such they need to remake one for the wiiu thatsh the reason wiiu still doesnt have n64 games they are reamking the n64 emulator imo for atleast keep consistenty Frame rate, dkn why but most of their VC emulators arent even half decent compared to what the homebrew ones we got made by fans, they need to rehire some decent programers to write their VC titles especialy the n64 ones.

I can understand why the Wii has issues with N64 games considering it has a low amount of RAM. The N64 games I've played on the Wii and Wii U play really well but I can see if game have a lot of action then the framerate can suffer. The PS3 has major issues with some of the PS2 Classics and even some of the HD remakes.

I am not familiar with the GBA issues you speak of.

MrRom92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nailed it. The code can be ran natively, as evidenced by nintendon't (although due to nintendo's blocks, nintendont does perform some modifications to the code in order to be allowed to run it) :) it's just that the big N can't sell $50 copies of an hd remake of a game that never needed an HD remake in the first place if everyone could just play the original!

Look out in the future for $25 VC downloads of GameCube titles too. Meh.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I can understand why the Wii has issues with N64 games considering it has a low amount of RAM. The N64 games I've played on the Wii and Wii U play really well but I can see if game have a lot of action then the framerate can suffer. The PS3 has major issues with some of the PS2 Classics and even some of the HD remakes.

I am not familiar with the GBA issues you speak of.

The GBA issue is that Nintendo had to hire another company, M2, to get GBA support for Wii U VC games working. Since they are apparently incapable of writing a decent GBA emulator on their own what makes you think they would be capable of something like Nintendont?

Nailed it. The code can be ran natively, as evidenced by nintendon't (although due to nintendo's blocks, nintendont does perform some modifications to the code in order to be allowed to run it) :) it's just that the big N can't sell $50 copies of an hd remake of a game that never needed an HD remake in the first place if everyone could just play the original!

Look out in the future for $25 VC downloads of GameCube titles too. Meh.

You are missing my point. I don't think Nintendo is capable of making Gamecube games work on the Wii U. Writing a hypervisor like Nintendont or Devolution is far more complex than a simple GBA emulator and since Nintendo couldn't even do that on their own what makes you think they are capable of writing their own equivalent of Nintendont?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thay won't happen. There wouldn't be gamecube vc. Nobody is going to pay for something nintendont or devolution does for free.
they will since most of the console owners dont even hack their consoles in the first place and second wiiu gamepad compat wich nintendont will never get since in vwii we need to rewritte a fully custom ios for it even if it would be possible.

this is all besides the point this thread is not for what nintendo might or might not do, keep it on topic folks.

Reactions: MassiveRican

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Afraid I'm going to have to call BS, ZR/ZL on a classic controller can't be analog and I'm sure FIX94 can confirm there's no code in nintendon't to recognize them as anything but digital buttons. Only the L and R triggers can be analog.
Uhh no buddy, on this controller the L/R shoulder buttons are digital and the ZR/ZL triggers are analog, probably did this to get around the BS licensing patent infringement issue that Ninty had to deal with, and why the hell would I lie about a controller I own? That doesn't make sense. Also this isn't a classic controller, it's a PDP GC controller for Wii/Wii U.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh no buddy, on this controller the L/R shoulder buttons are digital and the ZR/ZL triggers are analog, probably did this to get around the BS licensing patent infringement issue that Ninty had to deal with, and why the hell would I lie about a controller I own? That doesn't make sense. Also this isn't a classic controller, it's a PDP GC controller for Wii/Wii U.

But Nintendont reads it as a Classic Controller since it has to be plugged into the Wii Remote.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also this isn't a classic controller, it's a PDP GC controller for Wii/Wii U.
It's just a classic controller with a fancy shell. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be backwards compatible with anything that supports the classic controller.
on this controller the L/R shoulder buttons are digital and the ZR/ZL triggers are analog
Then the buttons must be labelled incorrectly.
Look at the data format: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote/Extension_Controllers/Classic_Controller
LT and RT are the L and R trigger values. Notice how they take up multiple bits; this is because they are analog values.
BZL and BZR are the ZL and ZR buttons. Notice how they are only single bits because they are digital.

Here's the code for how nintendon't translates ZL and ZR to GC L and R triggers (for the classic controller pro; for the original classic controller the L and R triggers are used, NOT ZL and ZR): https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/source/browse/trunk/loader/source/ppc/PADReadGC.c#512
Notice the analog values are hardcoded to either 0x7F (half press) or 0xFF (full press). They are not proper analog translations because there is nothing to translate from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: AncientBoi might be interested lol +1