1. B-but this identifies which controller you're using!!

2. Thirty3Three

OP Thirty3Three Musician Member
    Banned

United States
    THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

United States
    Least they don't make you push the "any button" and then forget to put an "any button" on the controls

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Ohhhhhhh, well that would make some sense, I s'pose.

5. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Mario Kart is updated and I unlocked the new wallpapers. A always work.

6. ultramario1998

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

United States
    o_o what is this thread

pressing l + r works well and is far more functional than pressing A. why the heck do you care which buttons you press?

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  7. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    pressing L+R is only required for detached joy-cons for reasons already stated. pressing A only works for joy-cons attached to the system and the pro controller.

8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    how can one handed gamers play arms since it requires 2 hands ? lol same for mario kart, how can they drive acelerate and use prizes at the same time? lol heck i dont think any game more complicated than like mario 2d games are playable with only one hand at all.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I've played Mario Kart Double Dash one handed before, well technically I was controlling one player with each hand, and I was doing half decently too.

10. Ace_Axel

Ace_Axel Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Perhaps they opted to Use L & R instead of the + or A buttons because of Joycons being split? I know it kind of doesn't make any sense because in Mario Kart 8, for example, you can use a single joycon and press the sL and sR buttons to enter the game... So I dunno... another conclusion I can draw is that casuals usually have a hard time finding the + and - buttons on recent Nintendo system controllers. I've had to point out button locations on a Wiimote to friends and family numerous times. It's just too confusing for most casuals.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  11. That was a joke but actually, it's possible to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with one hand. You just need to have all the driving assistance activated and there you go.

12. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Not true (at least for Mario Kart), I never push L+R in the game, and only push A and that always works at getting me past the screen telling you to push L+R, and this was both before and after the latest update. Maybe something is up with your A button if its not working properly for you?

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    I'm guessing you always either play in handheld mode or with a pro controller??

14. duffmmann

United States
    Pro controller! Do the joy cons not work for pressing just A to get past that screen? Guess I never bothered to check that.

15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    When the Joycon aren't attached to the system, games that allow multiplayer with individual Joycon will ask you to press L+R to figure out which way you're holding them

16. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

France
    Is anyone here aware that this discussion is pointless and ridiculous? Really, complaining about a starting button combo...
    inb4 EoF

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. duffmmann

United States
    Well that actually makes some sense for a game like Mario Kart considering you can use just one joy con to play the game. L+R together for the game would clearly indicate you're playing with both joy cons as a single controller. Still how would one make the game advance then, if you're playing two player mode with each player using one joy con? If you hit L+R I imagine the game instantly thinks you're only using the joycons as one controller. Shouldn't there be a method to just hit - or + so that player one gets that joy con and so that it will advance to the next screen with both joy cons being recognized as separate controllers? Now I'm curious.

Edit: Duh, I forgot that each joy con has its own L and R buttons, now I really understand why the Joy Cons are required to hit L+R, they're the only buttons that any variant of controls for Mario Kart are going to have.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. Thirty3Three

OP Thirty3Three Musician Member
    Banned

United States
    did you unlock the new menus? That's when it started for me. My A button is fine in the game and in every other game. Just that menu. DId you get 3 stars on all 200cc? To unlock the menus? That's when it started. It works sometimes.

19. duffmmann

United States
    Yup, no issue with the new menus. But I also always use the pro controller. It sounds like if you use the joy cons as a single controller, this may be why it wont always advance, and as I just explained, I actually understand why that may be the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo,