Nintendo will have inferior hardware next gen

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I actually kind of like it personally. I know that the majority of the games for the Wii will be different from the other consoles.
I buy a Nintendo console for the Nintendo games. (Which, incidentally, are more than just Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon, they've picked up and assimilated a lot of developers over the years.)
If I wanted those multiplat games I'd also pick up a 360 or a PS3.
And the deciding factor between those would be...which PS3-only or 360-only games I prefered.
It's what makes each console unique that ends up being the deciding factor for me, not what each console can do the same of.
You unwillingly touch the point I'm clumsily trying to convey.

PS3 = PS3 exclusives + multiplats
360 = 360 exclusives + multiplats
Wii = Wii exclusives

...now do you see what I'm getting at?

When buying a Microsoft console, I know I'll probably get Halo, I know I'll get Gears. When getting a Sony one, I know I'll get God of War, I know I'll have the pleasure to play Patapon, I know I'll play Little Big Planet. On the Nintendo's equivalent I'll get Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. All have their specific titles, the difference is in access to multiplat titles, which the Wii simply didn't support.

Its been like that through the whole life of Nintendo Consoles as far as I can remember, its not as it it was a suprise. Thats why I have, and most people do, more than one console. There will always be games on any console that are for that console alone, its not like Little big planet will be on the 360 or the Wii or Halo will be on the PS3. Nintendo relies on their own IP more than the other two, I dont see that ever changing.
I know that and I greatly support having more then one, which is expressed by my PS1, 2, Dreamcast, the planned purchase of a PS3, my PSP.

Not my point, I'm on about multiplatform games that the Wii couldn't launch because it was behind the curve.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually kind of like it personally. I know that the majority of the games for the Wii will be different from the other consoles.
I buy a Nintendo console for the Nintendo games. (Which, incidentally, are more than just Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon, they've picked up and assimilated a lot of developers over the years.)
And the deciding factor between those would be...which PS3-only or 360-only games I prefered.
It's what makes each console unique that ends up being the deciding factor for me, not what each console can do the same of.

Wii = Wii exclusives

When buying a Microsoft console, I know I'll probably get Halo, I know I'll get Gears. When getting a Sony one, I know I'll get God of War, I know I'll have the pleasure to play Patapon, I know I'll play Little Big Planet. On the Nintendo's equivalent I'll get Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. All have their specific titles, the difference is in access to multiplat titles, which the Wii simply didn't support.
It appears as if Zarcon did get it and you are kind of reiterating what he said

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Wii = Wii exclusives

Yes, but I'm also getting things like Muramasa, the Trauma series, Rhythm Heaven (Soon), Endless Ocean, etc on top of the usual Nintendo exclusives.
They might not all be games that everyone likes, but they're all unique to the Wii.
That's my point anyway, the Wii gets a lot of different/exclusives just because they need to be that way since people can't just port games to it easily.
The Japanese software list is better too, but silly NoA doesn't want to localize a lot of games. Can't fault the console for that though.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What he essentially said was that when buying a Nintendo console you should be aware that to play multiplats you'll need to buy another console even if you're not interested in Microsoft or Sony games, which should not be the case.

All 3 major players should offer the same multiplat experience while giving you access to their home-baked software exclusively - that way everyone chooses the pie they like the most.

Is this really too much to ask?

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada

Nice to see Good Ol' Duck Hunt up there :D

[/back2topic]

I have 3 points to give

1. The 'Source' is claiming that the next XBOX/PS will be 'ultra-powerful' when only the bare details have been released. Obvious bias there.
2. Multi-Plats are not designed with the XBOX/PS specifically in mind. The 'water down' part is a generalization
3. Again, when, why, and how did Nintendo admit that the WiiU's hardware is shittier than a yet-to-be-revealed console?

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see that this list is thoroughly accurate.

Indeed, the game of all time - a true blockbuster.

...it only sold this much because it was bundled with the system, they should probably add a disclaimer about it. Nobody in their right mind would buy this game as a full-feature with a normal pricetag.

EDIT: Added more games of all time. This list is a comedy that keeps on giving.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What he essentially said was that when buying a Nintendo console you should be aware that to play multiplats you'll need to buy another console even if you're not interested in Microsoft or Sony games, which should not be the case.

All 3 major players should offer the same multiplat experience while giving you access to their home-baked software exclusively - that way everyone chooses the pie they like the most.

Is this really too much to ask?

Unless all kit was the same then this will not happen. This was tried before with the 3DO, it didnt work. Even now the multiplatform titles are not all the same across all platforms. One gives you extra content not avaialble on another console, different graphics quality and different control methods. They are never the same. I will give you that Wii ports are watered down even futher, in my opinion they shouldnt even bother in those cases where the game is so different, but as I said, thats not what I buy a Nintendo console for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unless all kit was the same then this will not happen. This was tried before with the 3DO, it didnt work. Even now the multiplatform titles are not all the same across all platforms. One gives you extra content not avaialble on another console, different graphics quality and different control methods. They are never the same. I will give you that Wii ports are watered down even futher, in my opinion they shouldnt even bother in those cases where the game is so different, but as I said, thats not what I buy a Nintendo console for.

Those are just "unique features" that distinguish once console from another - the graphical differences aren't that apparent. As of today, multiplatform games *are* designed in SDK's that facilitate creating them for multiple platforms at the same time, it's just that each port is polished differently.

We're talking about the cream on the cake while we should talk about the meritum of the matter. Obviously Team Fortress 3 WiiU wouldn't support a Master Chief helmet while the 720 version won't give you a Mario hat, but those are "bonuses", not meaningful content.

When it comes to mission packs, for example Dragon Age missions DLC, they're all the same on all platforms.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...it only sold this much because it was bundled with the system, they should probably add a disclaimer about it. Nobody in their right mind would buy this game as a full-feature with a normal pricetag.
The disclaimer would then also apply to other games like Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The disclaimer would then also apply to other game like Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.
Tetris sold on multiple platforms, don't you rag on Tetris or people will eat you alive. :P
Not ragging on Tetris by any means, but it WAS bundled with the original gameboy ;) 6 Tetris GB
also, this number represents sales only on the gameboy, not across platforms

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The disclaimer would then also apply to other game like Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.
Tetris sold on multiple platforms, don't you rag on Tetris or people will eat you alive. :P
Not ragging on Tetris by any means, but it WAS bundled with the original gameboy ;)
To be perfectly honest, I believe that only games that sold on their own merit should be mentioned on the list, really. If the games were bundled on some platforms then those sales should be substracted from the total.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be perfectly honest, I believe that only games that sold on their own merit should be mentioned on the list, really. If the games were bundled on some platforms then those sales should be substracted from the total.
That would get complicated since games get special bundles later on as well as during initial release.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That would get complicated since games get special bundles later on as well as during initial release.
Nobody said it was eah-zeeey...
[yt]an-RGj46xPU[/yt]

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not ragging on Tetris by any means, but it WAS bundled with the original gameboy ;)
I do agree to some point. But if we did that we also need to subtract all the sales for games that came with a controller or some other accessorie

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Those are just "unique features" that distinguish once console from another - the graphical differences aren't that apparent. As of today, multiplatform games *are* designed in SDK's that facilitate creating them for multiple platforms at the same time, it's just that each port is polished differently.

We're talking about the cream on the cake while we should talk about the meritum of the matter. Obviously Team Fortress 3 WiiU wouldn't support a Master Chief helmet while the 720 version won't give you a Mario hat, but those are "bonuses", not meaningful content.

When it comes to mission packs, for example Dragon Age missions DLC, they're all the same on all platforms.

Playable levels and characters are becoming more console specific as downloadable content for one console only, sometimes this is timed and lasts only a certain amout of time like Skyrim content being XBOX 360 exclusive for 30 days, other times its beacuse more money has been paid and they remain exclusives which is not so much anymore, but it does happen. Sometimes games are released for a single console and then become multiplatform after the exclusive period has ended. its not just hats and helmets.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do agree to some point. But if we did that we also need to subtract all the sales for games that came with a controller or some other accessory

And why not? For example, people didn't buy "Wii Play" because of the game - they bought the WiiMote. They did buy Monster Hunter Tri though, and the Pro controller was just topping.

There are accessories bundled with games and games bundled with accesories, and it's not hard to distinguish the two.

Playable levels and characters are becoming more console specific as downloadable content for one console only, sometimes this is timed and lasts only a certain amout of time like Skyrim content being XBOX 360 exclusive for 30 days, other times its beacuse more money has been paid and they remain exclusives which is not so much anymore, but it does happen. Sometimes games are released for a single console and then become multiplatform after the exclusive period has ended. its not just hats and helmets.
I realize that - world ain't perfect. I'm not arguing againts a degree of exclusiveness, I argue againts making hardware inferior to the point that multiplats aren't even possible on it. How does that sound?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I want money too I should upload Ai videos of Psi getting laid +1