Nintendo: We Should Have Explained Wii U Better

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Feels Good Man, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35156/N...ii_U_Better.php

No s***. I've seen so many people confused about the concept of Wii U and even now I'm sure that people are still confused.

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    They definitely should have.

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Here's what you should have done. Explain you've got a new console coming out with 1080p HD graphics, etc. show the tech demo of the bird in the garden and THEN say but what we're really excited about, is the controller.

4. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    It would have been a lot better had they explained Wii U better.

5. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    -.- at first, I thought the wii u was just a controller, then it would stream the games through the wii.

They should've shown the controller with the console instead. -.-

6. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Yeah, most people I know thought it was just a controller for the Wii or something. There are pictures of the console itself online (Actual pictures, not fakes...It looks as if the Wii and 360 had a baby...XD), but they definitely should've explained it a lot more.

Hopefully they'll talk about specs (If they haven't been released already) and other hardware features sometime soon.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    If they could just show what it was streaming from, it would have been no problem.

8. boombox

Member boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah that was a major fail!
    All they had to do was at least put an image up on the screen and just say something about a new hardware device for the home is coming out...when i saw the console in the background (next to the TV) in the commercial it just looked like a Wii, so it's not surprising really.

...Queue questions asking 'Can we play Wii games with the new controller?' ¬_¬

9. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    yes it would have been better nintedo from what i hear in the E3 floor this thing is amazing but you dint take avatage of that wen you show it

10. rad140

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    I guess it could have been more clear, but I understood it fine.

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    when ubi's conference started, i stayed for almost the whole bit (stopped when i saw boring stuff) but throughout the conference, everyone was saying ACR on tweeter and facebook although they liked far cry and others more or less. when they did show ACR, it was well shown though they kept some things secret like the fact tht u can play as desmond or make ur own bombs. but the gameplay, graphics, storyline (to a certain extent unless u say the magic gate) and release date was mentioned. that is what i call living up to hype.
    wii u, a great system with good expectations such as the games but the main questions were answered only and not the other ones. this would work for a game but not for a system that would do much more than just give u some hrs of gameplay. its probable that they havent been able to compile as much yet but i think they stressed on the unique features rather than the whole system. they did not accomplish the wishes of the hypers.

12. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ....Really, they are just now realizing this xD At first I thought the WiiU was like an Add-On or something, I saw a picture online a few hours after the event and then the specs list also, That's when I realized it might actually be something awesome. Seriously though, even I could have told them that.

13. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    one of their main mistakes was naming it after the Wii, nintendo haven't you learned with the 3DS?

14. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    They explained it until I find the Wii U an add-on rather than the successor of the Wii.

15. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Well, misinterpretations or no, we'll see when the console and it's games come out. lots of potential here, despite the misgivings about the controller. i for one like it.

...affording it is another thing entirely though, heh.

16. Discover

Member Discover GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    I generally agree with that.
    I'd like to know how the connectivity works in great detail.

17. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Rest assured... the controller comes with the console.

And I won't expect the console to be THAT expensive either. Likely $299.99 but who knows?

18. Xale

Member Xale GBAtemp Regular

United States
    they really should have explained better, they made it sound like it was just a peripheral for the wii and until i did my own research, thats what i believed

19. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    I thought that the Wii U was just a controller for the Wii; didn't think it was a whole new console at first.

But does it work on the Wii?

20. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I had no doubt that the controller wasn't just a Wii addon and wasn't the console itself for a few reasons.

1) If it was the complete console and not just the controller, then it would basically be a portable device like the 3DS, and would be in direct competition with that, which would make no sense.
    2) An addon far more powerful than the unit it adds on to? I can understand a small boost or extra functionality for an addon, but this is far too big of a leap to be considered an addon.

Could they have explained it better? Of course they could, but it really doesn't take a lot of thought to understand that the controller is just a controller for the "new" console.