G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We live in a world where PC is considered Masterrace (Where did this come from honestly, I thought it was all about games) and Consoles are finally doing 1080p, but what is of the Nintendo Switch? Yes Nintendo has done a great job marketing the Hybrid system with its once again intriguing innovation, and powerful mobile Tegra X1 chip, but what is the reality for third party games? When we look back at 7th gen we see the original Wii doing well, but at same time of it's success, there wasn't really a debate regarding to the graphics as opposed to the other powerhouses (PS3,Xbox 360), we just ignored and move on because we already knew it's capabilities, and it's ahead of its time Motion control's. It's 8th gen now and we already know what to expect when Xbox and Sony put out Amazing titles with top notch quality, but before I go further, remember that talk about next gen consoles doing 1080p with top notch graphics? Yeah that does exist but not for every game, and it's not Sony or Microsoft fault, it's kinda our fault for pushing that objective upon them. Now my question regarding to the Switch will be, Will the Switch fall flat because it's not following its fellow competitors direction? Nintendo has always following their own route and they always done this Somewhat successfully, but honestly what do we think about this?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one remembers the wii for its shitty 3rd party titles that were massively inferior on the wii.

Nintendo has and always will be about first party titles. They'll do fine if they just get some out. The Wii U died because it had fuck all support from Nintendo.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The main problem is nintendo takes care of themselves. They make this device, then come up with software to go with it. Decent quality at that, albeit in a mostly just one sector (young crowd or nostalgics). Historically, they expected decent quality from developers, or it wouldn't get on their system (google the history of nintendo's seal of quality...the NES pretty much singlehandedly overcame the video game crash of 1983).
However, times have changed. The developer teams of then merged into large studios (most known: EA and ubisoft), which gave these studios power. Rather than individual studios having to deal with nintendo's demands for the system (or unwillingness to show what the console can do...it depends on your perspective), a studio can almost singlehandedly determine whether a console will be a success or not. EA backed out of the wiiu, for example.
Worse: on the consumer end, nintendo became more and more known for their quality first party titles and less and less of what other devs put onto the thing. This creates a negative spiral for those third parties, as audiences will just buy the console for first party titles. This in turn means other devs have a hard time to break even on the console (even more if they consider console exclusivity), and delay or even cancel games.

At least thats how things turned out for the wiiu. The switch was certainly off to a great start (with just one "killer app" game, mind you!), but I guess E3 will have to show whether the big companies are going to be on-board, or whether they'll mostly ignore it.

As for my own thoughts: despite the great sales, I think AAA-companies will remain cautious about the switch. I think they'll treat it the way they're treating the mobile market: cheap, indie-ish titles to see what the audience will actually buy. Games like Ori and the blind forest, grow home or a random football manager game. At this point, I would seriously doubt that a major franchise will take on the switch (meaning: no GTA, dark souls or similar)...and if it does get AAA-material, it'll be on other consoles first.

We live in a world where PC is considered Masterrace (Where did this come from honestly, I thought it was all about games)
So you're making a claim, then say you don't know where it comes from. Perhaps...not make these claims, then? :unsure:

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The main problem is nintendo takes care of themselves. They make this device, then come up with software to go with it. Decent quality at that, albeit in a mostly just one sector (young crowd or nostalgics). Historically, they expected decent quality from developers, or it wouldn't get on their system (google the history of nintendo's seal of quality...the NES pretty much singlehandedly overcame the video game crash of 1983).
However, times have changed. The developer teams of then merged into large studios (most known: EA and ubisoft), which gave these studios power. Rather than individual studios having to deal with nintendo's demands for the system (or unwillingness to show what the console can do...it depends on your perspective), a studio can almost singlehandedly determine whether a console will be a success or not. EA backed out of the wiiu, for example.
Worse: on the consumer end, nintendo became more and more known for their quality first party titles and less and less of what other devs put onto the thing. This creates a negative spiral for those third parties, as audiences will just buy the console for first party titles. This in turn means other devs have a hard time to break even on the console (even more if they consider console exclusivity), and delay or even cancel games.

At least thats how things turned out for the wiiu. The switch was certainly off to a great start (with just one "killer app" game, mind you!), but I guess E3 will have to show whether the big companies are going to be on-board, or whether they'll mostly ignore it.

As for my own thoughts: despite the great sales, I think AAA-companies will remain cautious about the switch. I think they'll treat it the way they're treating the mobile market: cheap, indie-ish titles to see what the audience will actually buy. Games like Ori and the blind forest, grow home or a random football manager game. At this point, I would seriously doubt that a major franchise will take on the switch (meaning: no GTA, dark souls or similar)...and if it does get AAA-material, it'll be on other consoles first.

So you're making a claim, then say you don't know where it comes from. Perhaps...not make these claims, then? :unsure:
No I'm saying that we all know the difference concerning the power between the two systems, but why is PC considered Master race? I just look at it as equivalent of a console, when it comes to gaming (it's not higher than anything else in my books).

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
We live in a world where PC is considered Masterrace (Where did this come from honestly, I thought it was all about games) and Consoles are finally doing 1080p, but what is of the Nintendo Switch? Yes Nintendo has done a great job marketing the Hybrid system with its once again intriguing innovation, and powerful mobile Tegra X1 chip, but what is the reality for third party games? When we look back at 7th gen we see the original Wii doing well, but at same time of it's success, there wasn't really a debate regarding to the graphics as opposed to the other powerhouses (PS3,Xbox 360), we just ignored and move on because we already knew it's capabilities, and it's ahead of its time Motion control's. It's 8th gen now and we already know what to expect when Xbox and Sony put out Amazing titles with top notch quality, but before I go further, remember that talk about next gen consoles doing 1080p with top notch graphics? Yeah that does exist but not for every game, and it's not Sony or Microsoft fault, it's kinda our fault for pushing that objective upon them. Now my question regarding to the Switch will be, Will the Switch fall flat because it's not following its fellow competitors direction? Nintendo has always following their own route and they always done this Somewhat successfully, but honestly what do we think about this?

The term "PC Master Race" was tongue and cheek joke by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

Anyways Nintendo is really the only one of the big 3 trying to do something different beyond "better graphics" DS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Switch and sometimes 3rd party can work with it and sometimes they can't. I think the Switch will be there next hit if they can keep pumping out these amazing titles and work with 3rd party (a guy can dream)

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why most care about a lot of third party shit. I could care less about having the same game on 4 to6 diff platforms . I care about actual good games.and to be honest if you want good challenging games with length you buy Nintendo stuff. As most of their games are quality, and lengthy. Not a 2 hr campaign with 20 hrs a day of shooting each other for the rest of the year u til they publish the same thing. The bigger problem is, third parties aren't very creative anymore. You are willing to buy the exact same short game over and over for multiplayer that is pointless. Third party devs could get creative and change it. But they choose feeding zombies the same rehashed bullshit multiplayer over and over.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people I see in threads I see in there discussing things. Don't take it out on me you think most don't. Most do.

"Don't say cuz statically every way of thinking about it they all have more than one.....take my word they dont. " Lololol laughable.

Last edited by A Plus Ric,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No I'm saying that we all know the difference concerning the power between the two systems, but why is PC considered Master race? I just look at it as equivalent of a console, when it comes to gaming (it's not higher than anything else in my books).
What CallmeBerto already mentioned: it started (I think) with one of Yahtzee's many jokes in just about any direction. This resonates with PC users, and to be honest, not without good reason: at just about any given time, a modern PC could easily keep up or surpass any given console. And while it may take some antics to get old games to work*, there is no such thing as "backwards compatibility" because PC's pretty much play all games. Including console games, if you count emulators. As such, it's easy to see how devoted PC users scratch their heads at why anyone would want to play a limited library of games that have to be run on a television in the first place.

*which I found out a couple days ago when I attempted to get red alert 2 to run on windows 10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.