Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TEINDTPA

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
No need for dual board, just dual protocols.
The only thing I had against your theory is the 1080/ 980 part. They use different manufacture, both have huge dies to fit in the tablet and going with down clock is as feasible. But the correct metaphor expect ram does not need to be halfed.
My theory: Dual Denver or quad a73 with gp206 (gp204 suggest much better efficiency and lower cost compared to 1070/ 1080. Check gtx 2070) that has a bios for mobile and a bios for high power mode, being vastly different. This is achieved by a huge boost in power with a high power usb c controller.
@TheDarkGreninja 's theory is that there is another setup with hot-swapping egpu.

It was an example i just took too random number name , don't worry i said it like a dumbo , what i meant is that it underclock itself to the power of ex:1080 underclock to 980 , but yea no need of dual board unless like my theory for cooling system more efficiently.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

for all we know it already has a 1060 in it.

Proof Xd?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i made some research and i think it would be brilliant if Nintendo use a custom 1060 as the price is low and could have sold them at a loss to cooperation with Nintendo !
Do you think it might be gp206? Or will gp106 do? How much power are you expecting? What about power consumption? Will this affect the sales of gtx 1060/ 2060?
Ironic how two Taiwan companies are working with a Japanese company. If Nvidia is not so underhanded I wouldn't be sticking with Amd.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
Do you think it might be gp206? Or will gp106 do? How much power are you expecting? What about power consumption? Will this affect the sales of gtx 1060/ 2060?
Ironic how two Taiwan companies are working with a Japanese company. If Nvidia is not so underhanded I wouldn't be sticking with Amd.

A 1060 with 6G is around 230$ if Nvidia don't want to loose money they need to make it on motherboard and completely change it for the hardware , i mean it will be probably be as powerful as a 1060 but more likely as a 1060M(mobile) but with a different architecture , for the power consumption i think it would mean the device as 3600mah or more battery and maybe a big.LITTLE like co-working CPU so when it is docked it overclock cpu at max and when undocked it would use little core for power saving and low frequencies so that why the screen can't be more than 720p-900p to be playable!

What bug me is those joy-con controller they need to be charged to be used as in the trailer people play them like wiimote what Nintendo did inside the switch to make them not use all the battery power to be charged is what i want to know more than the GPU since it is confirmed be Nvidia itself to be as powerful as the current-gen graphic card! So i'm pretty sure NS will be a powerfully console!

srry for my bad English hope you understand!

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A 1060 with 6G is around 230$ if Nvidia don't want to loose money they need to make it on motherboard and completely change it for the hardware , i mean it will be probably be as powerful as a 1060 but more likely as a 1060M(mobile) but with a different architecture , for the power consumption i think it would mean the device as 3600mah or more battery and maybe a big.LITTLE like co-working CPU so when it is docked it overclock cpu at max and when undocked it would use little core for power saving and low frequencies so that why the screen can't be more than 720p-900p to be playable!

What bug me is those joy-con controller they need to be charged to be used as in the trailer people play them like wiimote what Nintendo did inside the switch to make them not use all the battery power to be charged is what i want to know more than the GPU since it is confirmed be Nvidia itself to be as powerful as the current-gen graphic card! So i'm pretty sure NS will be a powerfully console!

srry for my bad English hope you understand!
1) According to a Chinese leak gp206 might be closer than we think(both chinese and taiwanese speak madarin, and TCMC is also Taiwan Basef), which should at least push 2060 beyond 2GHz, possibly at only 100w.
2) Almosy forget about big.LITTLE setup.
3) Only better power efficiency is for certain.
Time flies, does it not?

TEINDTPA

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
1) According to a Chinese leak gp206 might be closer than we think(both chinese and taiwanese speak madarin, and TCMC is also Taiwan Basef), which should at least push 2060 beyond 2GHz, possibly at only 100w.
2) Almosy forget about big.LITTLE setup.
3) Only better power efficiency is for certain.
Time flies, does it not?

Maybe gp106?? http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal-gp106-leak/

edit: i am pretty sure it is the Nvidia 1060 gp106 3g ! cost only 190$ and it is powerful!

Last edited by TEINDTPA,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

TEINDTPA

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
I am talking about the second generation pascal, which is better than first gen but not by that much. Also gtx 1060 is for sale for quite some while now. I am also sure the system will not use standard gddr5 but probably some like high clocked lpddr4.

But i don't think Nintendo will use gddr5 either seems like lpddr4 a good option because it is low-power efficiently , about the processor what you think Nintendo gonna use?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But i don't think Nintendo will use gddr5 either seems like lpddr4 a good option because it is low-power efficiently , about the processor what you think Nintendo gonna use?
A73 is clearly better suited but a lower clocked denver would do well too. I would assume all cores are occupied.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just for those with thinking of the graphics: i've got a cheap chinese tablet here with unnamed video chip (suppricingly it is capable of opengl or was it opencl) when used as tablet the touchscreen limits it to 720p but when using the video out HDMI it's capable of using even 4k and 3d... this is cause the graphics driver is HDMI 1.4 based, just the screen internal is limited. i think that's what's with the switch also.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait a sec, you guys a proposing the idea of a custom DISCRETE graphics card on a portable? you must be insane. If its the dock, the 1060 is too much power, I'd say a small fully custom gpu that runs at around 500-600 Gflops no more.

It seems more likely A73 with 2 denver core? but are they all active at same time or do they differ from each other ??
Parker has 6 cores i believe so 2 denver and 4 a73 if not 4a57.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait a sec, you guys a proposing the idea of a custom DISCRETE graphics card on a portable? you must be insane. If its the dock, the 1060 is too much power, I'd say a small fully custom gpu that runs at around 500-600 Gflops no more.

Parker has 6 cores i believe so 2 denver and 4 a73 if not 4a57.
I'd say not the worst. Maybe Nvidia figured everything out. From a software standpoint this is easier to pull off?
a73 is two generations ahead and far more power efficient, but is not implemented as of right now into any tegra, so I dob't really know. Seems like the best choice here.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say not the worst. Maybe Nvidia figured everything out. From a software standpoint this is easier to pull off?
a73 is two generations ahead and far more power efficient, but is not implemented as of right now into any tegra, so I dob't really know. Seems like the best choice here.
True, but they do need to keep costs low for this console.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True, but they do need to keep costs low for this console.
The gpu is not going to be any more expansive than a typical tegra if not considerably less. Also Nvidia don't need to implement the extra features and Nintendo can figure out about anything besides the soc.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The gpu is not going to be any more expansive than a typical tegra if not considerably less. Also Nvidia don't need to implement the extra features and Nintendo can figure out about anything besides the soc.
i was talking about the cpu not the gpu, the gpu wont be expensive nor will a dock based gpu running a 500gflops

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4GB of RAM is now confirmed by Emliy rogers.
I was thinking about this for a while now but is there anyway of adding RAM to the dock i dont think that can work through thunderbolt or Expresscard but ill have to check again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/vtGSfyI8VUk