Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see this coming in at $300 and doing just fine. Probably wanted it at $350 without a loss, but they know that is pushing it.
theyre definitely selling it at a significant enough loss. This thing needs to dominate the mobile and home market remember.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We are talking about cpu just now. But yes, Pascal is pretty good. Though Navi is not that far behind.
Edit: It's Vega. Navi is 7nm.
Im pretty sure A57 is faster than Jaguar.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
theyre definitely selling it at a significant enough loss. This thing needs to dominate the mobile and home market remember.

Im pretty sure A57 is faster than Jaguar.
No, just more power efficient. Even the teraflop rating is higher with Jaguar, and the other aspects are also higher. It's still x86, after all.

Last edited by Yil,

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, just more power efficient. Even the teraflop rating is higher with Jaguar, and the other aspects are also higher. It's still x86, after all.
But its architecture is what? 6 years old now. I highly doubt these comparisons are easy.

And even then.. Some games won't work on the Playstation TV... Why? Cause fuck you! That's why!
No need to swear man, you seem a little too intense for a discussion.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry.. The whole Playstation TV won't work with Vita games for no reason *and I mean no reason.. Not that they required Gyro, or touch pad* is effing stupid.
its ok sometimes people vent but staying calm is key in an argument.

There is now a quick bit of info on the earnings report in the OP.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I remember Nintendo sayinf that they wouldn't be taking a loss on the machine and thats nice and all but it leaves them with two options

1. Its either unpowered as hell (Classic portable level) and a decent price
Or 2. Its really really expensive

Half of me is wanting it to be really expensive so that we see price drops with fairly powerful hardware... But in the end this is Nintendo though currently the rumors are telling us "Xbox One level of power" I'll just have to wait and see.... But remember Tegra is ARM... Xbox One and PS4 are x86

ARM being for mobile is optimized for low power first and foremost with power coming in second followed by whatever else

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember Nintendo sayinf that they wouldn't be taking a loss on the machine and thats nice and all but it leaves them with two options

1. Its either unpowered as hell (Classic portable level) and a decent price
Or 2. Its really really expensive

Half of me is wanting it to be really expensive so that we see price drops with fairly powerful hardware... But in the end this is Nintendo though currently the rumors are telling us "Xbox One level of power" I'll just have to wait and see.... But remember Tegra is ARM... Xbox One and PS4 are x86

ARM being for mobile is optimized for low power first and foremost with power coming in second followed by whatever else
Nintendo arent selling it at a loss, doesnt mean nvidia isnt manufacturing at a loss for them for a deal for software profits or even just market share, this Nvidias last oppurtunity to get into the console market, we'll see soon enough what the price is. ARM and x86 architectures no longer even matter the CPU's inside the maxwell and parker chips are more than double the speed compared to jaguar. And denver two is double the speed of the A57's which I had just mentioned. This machine is no slouch in terms of Graphical and Processing power.

I was meaning to talk about this and I'll add this in the opinions section I want to add soon. The thing is people are saying we've already seen this and yes, we have. But when you look at the switch and the compare it to a tegra K1 and you really think this (switch) is what the near-perfect portable is. The switch isnt trying to innovate like the Wii U, its trying to innovate by perfecting a well thought about idea that has yet to be well implemented.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo arent selling it at a loss, doesnt mean nvidia isnt manufacturing at a loss for them for a deal for software profits or even just market share, this Nvidias last oppurtunity to get into the console market, we'll see soon enough what the price is. ARM and x86 architectures no longer even matter the CPU's inside the maxwell and parker chips are more than double the speed compared to jaguar. And denver two is double the speed of the A57's which I had just mentioned. This machine is no slouch in terms of Graphical and Processing power.

I was meaning to talk about this and I'll add this in the opinions section I want to add soon. The thing is people are saying we've already seen this and yes, we have. But when you look at the switch and the compare it to a tegra K1 and you really think this (switch) is what the near-perfect portable is. The switch isnt trying to innovate like the Wii U, its trying to innovate by perfecting a well thought about idea that has yet to be well implemented.
1) Double the clock does not mean double the performance. This especially with cpu. And the clocks weren't that high anyway. Efficiency though, let's just say AMD's effective clock is not getting higher until zen. IPC plays a huge part which is why i5 is constant recking amd cpu, and x86 is still somewhat decent.
2) I agree with the switch being a perfected version of the shield tablet. Or rather the fusion of shield tablet and gamepad, getting rid of the unpleasant parts.
3) Tegra is still somewhat behind even gt 940m (like in the surface book) in terms of power, but very impressive none the less. (And tegra uses top of the line silicon that is on par with workshop cards). Denver 2 is most likely beyond a73, which is twice as fast and sip half the power of a57, if not less.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Double the clock does not mean double the performance. This especially with cpu. And the clocks weren't that high anyway. Efficiency though, let's just say AMD's effective clock is not getting higher until zen. IPC plays a huge part which is why i5 is constant recking amd cpu, and x86 is still somewhat decent.
2) I agree with the switch being a perfected version of the shield tablet. Or rather the fusion of shield tablet and gamepad, getting rid of the unpleasant parts.
3) Tegra is still somewhat behind even gt 940m (like in the surface book) in terms of power, but very impressive none the less. (And tegra uses top of the line silicon that is on par with workshop cards). Denver 2 is most likely beyond a73, which is twice as fast and sip half the power of a57, if not less.
But it does mean its faster. So its architecture having to be more simple is less of a hamper.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So nintendo confirmed the switch will use a 6.2 touch screen. Not sure if anyone else seen the post on the verge and other places..their source is the same guy who leaked the original nintendo 3ds years ago.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
According to a new rumour, the switch is going to use usb c, possibly usb 3.1 or thunderbolt 3. So this means it will have two usb 3.0 at full speed, able to run at over 50w and display port support. Thunderbolt 3 will further enable egpu.
It also mentioned 720p multi touch and 6.2'' inch screen.

Last edited by Yil,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to a new rumour, the switch is going to use usb c, possibly usb 3.1 or thunderbolt 3. So this means it will have two usb 3.0 at full speed, able to run at over 50w and display port support. Thunderbolt 3 will further enable egpu.
It also mentioned 720p multi touch and 6.2'' inch screen.

The just play video games just said that nintendo told them the dock does not do much besides charging, connecting to the tv and adding usb ports. The dock is supposely super cheap to produce and extra ones may be purchasable in the future for addtional tv.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The just play video games just said that nintendo told them the dock does not do much besides charging, connecting to the tv and adding usb ports. The dock is supposely super cheap to produce and extra ones may be purchasable in the future for addtional tv.
Power scaling can be done with just a power input and better cooling. 100w is much more than enough to provide the juice for some 3tf gpu.

@chartube12 Beside egpu is only possible with intel thunderbolt 3 in form of usb c, which is next to impossible.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Power scaling can be done with just a power input and better cooling. 100w is much more than enough to provide the juice for some 3tf gpu.

I guess you are one of those in denial. The dock doesn't contain a gpu or cpu of any kind. It's there to charge the unit, controllers and display. And being super cheap means like 25-50 dollar range. No way they are going to put a processor in there at that price. The idea we may be able to buy more for addtional TVs also puts the finale nail in the external processor coffin

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess you are one of those in denial. The dock doesn't contain a gpu or cpu of any kind. It's there to charge the unit, controllers and display. And being super cheap means like 25-50 dollar range. No way they are going to put a processor in there at that price. The idea we may be able to buy more for addtional TVs also puts the finale nail in the external processor coffin
Did you read my post? I said power scaling, not egpu. I am talking about massive power jump like intel did with core m, from 1.4GHz to 3.6GHz, becoming several times more powerful with the same hardware, by having two vastly different power mode. The only Usb c that can cope with egpu is thunderbolt 3 which is not going to happen on.nintendo switch.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dock as it's being shipped with the initial production run of the Switch is just plastic and wiring.

What's stopping Nintendo from releasing a GPU upgrade dock 2-3 years down the road?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: