Nintendo Switch official firmware version 13.0.0 available, adds Bluetooth audio support

TV4lThD.png

Put your stability jokes on hold, because it's time for a new Nintendo Switch firmware update, and it's one that offers some actual functionality, for once. Official firmware version 13.0.0 is here, and it brings with it support for Bluetooth audio devices, meaning you can now pair headphones, speakers, or earbuds with the Nintendo Switch system without the use of a third-party dongle. Of note, Nintendo specifies that Bluetooth microphones will not pair with the system, as they are not supported.

• Headphones, earbuds, speakers, and other audio devices that connect with Bluetooth can now be paired with Nintendo Switch family systems for audio output.
    • Bluetooth microphones are not supported.
    • Up to two compatible wireless controllers can be connected to the system while using Bluetooth audio.
    • Bluetooth audio cannot be used while local wireless communication is active.
    • For more information, see How to Pair and Manage Bluetooth Audio Devices.

There's more, as well. A new option allows users to update their Switch's dock, though it's a feature exclusive to the Nintendo Switch OLED dock, with its LAN port. Consoles connected to LAN can now also stay connected to the internet, even when in sleep mode. You can grab the update if you're interested in the new features, or stay on your current firmware and await the all-clear from your favorite CFW dev sources.

:arrow: Source

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two-way bluetooth communication (for mics) cuts your audio quality in half so, I can understand why they weren't rushing out to support that. And then you have to somehow manage swapping between the two modes. The fact that you're limited to just two controllers (i.e. one pair of joycons) and zero ad-hoc also means its hogging most of the Switch's bluetooth bandwith.

PeeJay Bonobo

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
You can grab the update if you're interested in the new features, or stay on your current firmware and await the all-clear from your favorite CFW dev sources.

I guess I'll be doing the latter.... and right as I was trying in vain to get Ninjala's offline stuff to work on Ryujinx. Man, that game is hell to get working properly, but at least, it boots!

Also, Bluetooth support? I was trying the homebrew version and it was actual garbage as the audio was low pitched. Maybe Nintendo's implementation will be better?

Reactions: Impossible_Igntiz

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Two-way bluetooth communication (for mics) cuts your audio quality in half so, I can understand why they weren't rushing out to support that. And then you have to somehow manage swapping between the two modes. The fact that you're limited to just two controllers (i.e. one pair of joycons) and zero ad-hoc also means its hogging most of the Switch's bluetooth bandwith.
Exactly. Do note that Switch uses BT 4.1, not the more recent 5.0 (which provides more bandwidth?).

Reactions: PacDan16

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad this might not do anything for the switch lite, not sure if that has bluetooth Because one of my third party controllers can’t connect to it and the box actually said it wouldn’t work on that.

Reactions: BoogieManPirate

PacDan16

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this instantly baffled me.
I'm so confused. Why did it take this long (over FOUR years) to implement such a feature? Although knowing about Nintendo's cloak of secrecy very well, I doubt we'll ever get the answer and the full truth of what's been doing on behind-the-scenes.

I've been using the Genki Bluetooth USB-C dongle for quite some time, but I'm liking this update already.. obviously it's a lot better as it's substantially more advanced and integrated into the OS now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill