XP
Country
India

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If it gets hot enough, you CAN manipulate the plastic. It's not exactly witchcraft, and it makes sense. I do believe that this particular user had their switch dock in a stuffy space. No proper airflow or anything.
no, but I'm saying it probably wouldn't bend like that, I know plastic can become more malleable when hot but (depending on the plastic) it generally wouldn't just bend itself without any external force being applied, if I had to guess I would say it was sat on while running (and the lack of airflow would probably contribute to it getting hotter making it easier to bend along the heatpipe

Last edited by gamesquest1,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it gets hot enough, you CAN manipulate the plastic. It's not exactly witchcraft, and it makes sense. I do believe that this particular user had their switch dock in a stuffy space. No proper airflow or anything.
Yeah. Probably he had the dock stuffed inside the oven or over the radiator. Who knows.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ok, perhaps I can take better pictures, but this is a start.

uyu0kXQ.jpg

f3eo7G7.jpg
The edges there are all where you can see some light, but the middle (about 70% of the surface area) is flat.

gog3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never happened to me, and it won't in the future. I avoid sitting on my expensive electronics.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Honestly i dont think this was cause by the dock , and even if docks can come a little bit bent , these are just sightly bended and couldnt really cause a bend that's bigger that the bend dock

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i honestly dont believe this bullshit at all. how the hell would it get hot enough to bend all on the internals like that. heres a video of someone testing the heat.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mean, sure a tiny wrapping like @DiscostewSM might happen since you know, ruffnes, plastic. factory defect etc.
But the one in the topic is seriously bent, like outside force must been used. I'm looking at different switches that reported being bent. All of them are over the USB-C port or on the side where the battery aren't. (or bad pictures?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fucking hate the stupid fucking media, only looking for hits...

This happened to ONE PERSON on REDDIT.

Jesus Christ.
4 people reported so far.

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't Nintendo do a QC test? It's supposed to always be durable but if it melts down then it won't last for a lifetime. :-/

bro it was rushed by a good 6months, as much as i love my switch i know that for sure.

fps issues, barebones os, outdated online service, weak launch. wifi driver/chip issues.

but i guess nintendo was desperate and losing money

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
bro it was rushed by a good 6months, as much as i love my switch i know that for sure.

fps issues, barebones os, outdated online service, weak launch. wifi driver/chip issues.

So, pretty much like any other company making hardware, including Sony and Microsoft.

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked my Switch and it IS warped, though not severely. If you set it on a flat surface, the edges are about 1mm higher than middle, so it's like the back is bulging a bit. I assume it was like this when it was new because temperature warping seems unlikely.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

FPS issues? You mean from the terrible port job that is BotW?

Weak launch? What exactly does this mean? Launch titles? Sales numbers were pretty damn good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no, but I'm saying it probably wouldn't bend like that, I know plastic can become more malleable when hot but (depending on the plastic) it generally wouldn't just bend itself without any external force being applied, if I had to guess I would say it was sat on while running (and the lack of airflow would probably contribute to it getting hotter making it easier to bend along the heatpipe
Well, yeah. It wouldn't warp or bend on its own. Wondering if they didn't sit on it themselves. Hm

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah it's bullshit. Switch barely gets warm, tests have shown its max temp at less than half of what PS4 reaches. My bet's on this being a manufacturing defect that the guy just didn't notice until later.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My room's pretty warm and my switch doesn't get THAT hot when I decide to play it docked for a few hours. Mine's mostly flat, though a bit uneven on the edges for some odd reason. I smell bs, though I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume it was a defect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: