Nintendo Switch maxing out the wifi speed

spiderman1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey,

I know someone who is running a wifi extender to use their switch downstairs. They are having issues streaming games. I think they have 300mbp internet. What the max speed wifi a/c 5ghz that I siwtch can go? Would a newer router benefit them in terms of speed. They could have the modern run a bridge to a newer router or is there bottleneck because of switch.

RotatoR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the extender a wireless version? As in its connected to their router wirelessly. Or is it an ap connected via ethernet?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, while 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps. but 5GHz have a less force to penetrate walls. so the 5GHz have less coverage than 2.4. so if you have a dual frequency extender, the connection could be made on 2.4GHz even if the connection says 5GHz.

spiderman1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the extender is connected to the modern that has wifi in the modern. The modern has wifi but it wasn't getting downstairs. He does not have a dual extender i dont thi8nk. 2.4ghz may support up to 600mbp but what the real world speeds is the thing. I get 170mbp for a 300mbp internet on xbox seires x but i hear honor stories about switch wireless. What should you get in speed from 5ghz if say you were streaming off a computer in real world settings.

RotatoR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cloud game streaming doesn't use a ton of speed. Latency is the killer. Streams are 15 to 25 megabits per sec. for 720p-1080p. If there is decent amount of latency, it'll run like crap.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have several linksys ea8500 routers running openwrt (so that I can get full house coverage with 802.11r), tested with my laptop and desktop and they can easily max out the gigabit ethernet connection on my NAS (downloading speed is about 100-110MB/s). However on my switch v1 I only get around 10-15MB/s download speed when installing xci/nsp files from my NAS with tinfoil. OLED switch is a bit faster at about 20MB/s, but way slower than other devices. So I believe the wifi speed is capped at 20MB/s due to the shitty wifi chip nintendo uses. Of course switch is connected to 5g wifi and signal is at full bar.

Just test wifi speed with your phone near your switch, if you can get 200Mbps or faster with internet speed test, there's not much you can do to improve the connection speed. I think ethernet is slightly faster than wifi, but didn't test it myself.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have several linksys ea8500 routers running openwrt (so that I can get full house coverage with 802.11r), tested with my laptop and desktop and they can easily max out the gigabit ethernet connection on my NAS (downloading speed is about 100-110MB/s). However on my switch v1 I only get around 10-15MB/s download speed when installing xci/nsp files from my NAS with tinfoil. OLED switch is a bit faster at about 20MB/s, but way slower than other devices. So I believe the wifi speed is capped at 20MB/s due to the shitty wifi chip nintendo uses. Of course switch is connected to 5g wifi and signal is at full bar.

Just test wifi speed with your phone near your switch, if you can get 200Mbps or faster with internet speed test, there's not much you can do to improve the connection speed. I think ethernet is slightly faster than wifi, but didn't test it myself.
I get a max of around 80Mbps on my switch so mythbusted. my actual internet is much faster but thats besides the point

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

I know someone who is running a wifi extender to use their switch downstairs. They are having issues streaming games. I think they have 300mbp internet. What the max speed wifi a/c 5ghz that I siwtch can go? Would a newer router benefit them in terms of speed. They could have the modern run a bridge to a newer router or is there bottleneck because of switch.
Extenders essentially cut the speed in half when they extend unless you have a really good one

A better router with more range or even a second router wired closer to the room in bridge mode would be a much better option

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1