• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 7,461
  • Replies 78
  • Likes 7
D

Deleted User

OP
You have to think about the children though!

Seriously, bad move nintendo

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Building on what was mentioned earlier, I examined teardown images of the audio port and it does seem to have the 4 pins required to support an inline microphone natively. This is even mentioned in the developer documentation as a possible feature. Everything in the hardware side points to the possibility of being able to just plug in a standard headphone with integrated microphone and chat away without using an adaptor and a separate smartphone app.

Maybe that is an option and the Splatoon headset is just an alternative setup. If the former is not allowed, it's probably due to a software restriction rather than a hardware limitation. The only reason I can think of for Nintendo to do this is to restrict users to only being able to chat with registered friends and whatnot and blocking free open chat with strangers. Originally I thought that it could just be a Japan-exclusive thing due to their different laws about online communications for minors (even though this could be easily managed with the parental control app), but it seems the accessory will be released internationally and the English documentation also includes the same smartphone setup. If that's the case, well, c'mon really? Really, Nintendo?

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Apparently is a question of maintenance. Pushing updates to the woice chat suystem would resuire updating the Switch'OS very, very frequently, and I don't think end users would be happy about that. So according to Reggie, it's simpler for them to maintain an app rather than something included in the Switch's OS.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently is a question of maintenance. Pushing updates to the woice chat suystem would resuire updating the Switch'OS very, very frequently, and I don't think end users would be happy about that. So according to Reggie, it's simpler for them to maintain an app rather than something included in the Switch's OS.
There's no need to have it as a "full" OS update. They could always just update the individual voice chat component without having to update the rest of the system.

And yes, this is purely software limitations. The only "hardware" limitation is a lack of microphone in the system unit itself, but the headphone jack is TRRS, so it supports headsets.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ever consider the possibility of hindering performance? Th switch used to be struggling with wifi and causes some lag playing Zelda, or anythng else for that matter.
I feel like this should have all been fixed. Did they not test this shit?
So many why thoughs to Nintendo!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
technology seems to get back into stone age..
first the PSVR is already a mess
now switch follows the same trend..
sega x32 all over again

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking this retarded setup is so the phone app can serve as a firewall between Nintendo's gaming platform and a 13 year old telling you he fucked your mom. The naughty language comes from the smart device not the console. Also, children won't be able to simply plug a headset into the console and voice chat.

I hope you don't have an iPhone 7. You'll have to touch dongles tip to tip.

We got what we deserved for continuing to support Apple and Nintendo.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
iPhone 7 release: "Nobody has bluetooth headphones, they are too expensive!"
Switch Voice Chat: "Nobody has wired headphones, it's 2017, why no BT support?"
That's not even relevant. The issue isnt wired vs wireless. The issue is having to combine a phone and a switch for voice chat.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluetooth would be nice though

Bluetooth will happen. The stupid audio mixer dongle thing will have to support Bluetooth. I think that for home use most people would be better off just using their TV/AV receiver for game audio and an earbud with inline/built-in mic for the mobile chat app. Most people with smart devices should already have suitable headphones with inline/built-in microphone whether wired or Bluetooth. I can't see many people using voice chat while mobile. Too much of a hassle. I don't know how many would even want to be able talk to other players while mobile. However, it certainly would be nice to hear the voice chat audio. Having the voice and game audio come from two different devices is so fucking dumb.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE