Nintendo Switch hackers Team Xecuter leaders arrested, charged in federal indictment

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

The United States Department of Justice has shared some news regarding Team-Xecuter, which doesn't appear to be a good sign for the company. Gary Bowser, known on GBAtemp as garyopa, Max Louarn, and Yuanning Chen have all been arrested in Seattle, Washington. The US Government classifies these men as "leaders of one of the world's most notorious videogame piracy groups", and will be facing a federal indictment charge, for the selling of illegal hardware that facilitates piracy.

“These defendants lined their pockets by stealing and selling the work of other video-game developers – even going so far as to make customers pay a licensing fee to play stolen games,” said U.S. Attorney Brian Moran for the Western District of Washington. “This conduct doesn’t just harm billion dollar companies, it hijacks the hard work of individuals working to advance in the video-game industry.”

The FBI has also been involved, with each defendant to be charged under 11 felony counts, ranging from wire fraud, trafficking circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering. One of the defendants, Louarn, has not yet been extradited, though Bowser has, where he was seen in the court hearing that took place today.

In September 2020, Louarn and Bowser were arrested abroad in connection with the charges in this case. The United States will seek Louarn’s extradition to stand trial in the United States. Bowser was arrested and deported from the Dominican Republic, and appeared today in federal court, in New Jersey.

Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

:arrow: Source

roamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And this is the literal reason why a launcher like Wiiflow or USBLoader has not been developed. You can use Atmosphere and launch your installed titles if you get the patches by yourself, it is only copy and you can play, and with a MicroSD with enough space (64GB, 128GB) you will have more titles to play ... the USB, .XCI , it was obtained from the Nintendo SDK, USB from the Devkit, Cartridge Emulation (.XCI) from the SDK and that's literally property theft and piracy.

Atmosphere has followed an ethical development, under licenses that do not violate that of Nintendo or others, and if you are thinking to launch home applications, non-commercial games, and it is easy to patch for FREE to play with backups.

exactly and it blows my mind that people just dont get it. so many people in this thread saying how it doesnt hurt nintendo and so forth. BS

reality is its there business, doesnt matter if its a 100k business or a billion doller business. if you made and developed a platform only to find out people in the world are making money from your hard work and destroying your profits your going to be pissed.

people forget nintendo make 30% from all sales on eshop. so if people are paying a pirating company vs paying nintendo, nintendo will naturally get pissed about it. its there property, not TX property.

im surprised it didnt happen a lot sooner to be honest, but then again im sure nintendo have been trying to work out how to execute the arrests for some time now.

We will see after the next switch fw thats breaks sxos.
boy oh boy i cant wait for all the threads on sxos users rushing over here to look for answers on how to switch over to atmos next update.

Last edited by roamin,

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If they receive a petition signed by million or more, will they be released?
1. Why would they be released? They did illegal and morally wrong things
2. Even if all SX users joined together to sign a petition, there's no way more than 15,000-50,000 people would sign
3. There's no point on saying the first 2 points because law doesn't work like that

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Bad news and it is only a matter of time that nintendo pushes firmware 11.x which breaks sxos and new games, dlc and updates require you to update.

As for Garyopa.... 'I talked with the developers...updates are coming very soon" in the gateway3ds days.
Knowing now that he was just an advertising frontman...
It will be released eventually to support the new features of Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can anyone explain to me why the matter of the perpetrators getting raped in prison or not is subject of discussion in this thread?

I think it's teen virgins projecting their desires out into public.

Oh is that off topic here as well? Why aren't the unbiased mods doing their jobs?

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For whats its worth even if there are no updates, you still got a good quality jig and dongle loader for third party things like atmos.

I paid like $35 for the pro and got a free switch case with it. I got more than my money out it.

I still think someone else will just take over, someone is china most likely. We will see after the next switch fw thats breaks sxos.

Basically this as of right now the future of SXOS is kinda unknown but we just have to wait and see for the next few weeks. I still have to update my SXOS to the latest beta but I'm pretty happy with it SXOS is my backup switch and I actually use Atmosphere as my main switch since I had started out with Atmosphere. If Nintendo stop future CFW and updates across the board I will not be sad I have a ton of switch games to play.

I still have my switch lite for online play the only blow this does honestly is the V2 switches and the lites.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Darth Meteos,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
R.I.P. soon™
Was a fun ride for a long time.

Honestly I found gary always shady. His statements were often contradicting and he never released something in time.
I asked him years ago to make some of the code open source and he answered me that he would discuss it with the gateway-team but it never lead anywhere. Too bad. Now everything the team accomplished is down the drain.
Bonus: It was clear as day that he was the main man behind everything but he always denied it excessively. Was so rediculous.

I didn't like to pay such a premium price for a piracy product with the slowest update-delivery ever but at least it worked and they provided the first solution for the last 2 generations of nintendo consoles.

Last but not least: He deserves to be sentenced for his crime for sure. But seriously. Nobody deserves to be in prison for 100+ years. Americans, your legal system is so seriously broken and inhuman. I really hope that your country will eventually fix that.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R.I.P. soon™
Was a fun ride for a long time.

Honestly I found gary always shady. His statements were often contradicting and he never released something in time.
I asked him years ago to make some of the code open source and he answered me that he would discuss it with the gateway-team but it never lead anywhere. Too bad. Now everything the team accomplished is down the drain.
Bonus: It was clear as day that he was the main man behind everything but he always denied it excessively. Was so rediculous.

I didn't like to pay such a premium price for a piracy product with the slowest update-delivery ever but at least it worked and they provided the first solution for the last 2 generations of nintendo consoles.

Last but not least: He deserves to be sentenced for his crime for sure. But seriously. Nobody deserves to be in prison for 100+ years. Americans, your legal system is so seriously broken and inhuman. I really hope that your country will eventually fix that.
Yep are legal system is really broken and as for them fixing it, its not going to happen since they make more money the way it is now, america is all about the money and I hope if any one was to be sentenced it would be some other place then the America. There is so much wrong with this country I wish I could trade in my Citizen ship for a uk,eu one, If he gets sentenced for 100+ years Nintendo would more then likely not see any money from him so id say they would do some kind of plea deal that would get both nintendo and the Courts money I do see him doing more then a few years in jail if he got any jail time.

Reactions: GothicIII

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight. I now have to convert all my Xci games to nsp, convert my sxos emunand to atmosphere, and patch all those games? Or wait and pray that someone continues the project? What would be the best corse of action? For me a sxos license owner. And please no "Just buy the game" or any other troll posts. Those will be ignored.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I've definitely had my moneys worth out of SXOS - so thanks to TX for that, also still using my original xbox & 360 with TX products. Do I regret paying for a product? NO of course not - it's enabled me to do lots of things that would otherwise not be possible. As for the Arrests - even in USA you are innocent until you've been proven guilty.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that's what happened with at least geohot. He may have had to pay court fees but not the million Sony was seeking. Sony knew that so he's just refrained from hacking any future Sony product. Iirc, hotz said that Sony's lawyers asked if he was doing this because he hated Sony. Lol

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

m0mij1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've definitely had my moneys worth out of SXOS - so thanks to TX for that, also still using my original xbox & 360 with TX products. Do I regret paying for a product? NO of course not - it's enabled me to do lots of things that would otherwise not be possible. As for the Arrests - even in USA you are innocent until you've been proven guilty.
I feel the same way about this.
If it wasn't for TX then Mariko Switches wouldn't have any form of Homebrew running on them at all.
Their actual hardware mods have always been pretty good quality too.

Reactions: mrdude and iialaq01

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
Heh did you even read the indictment? It shows in there that dumping roms to play on anything is illegal piracy (yes ok I disagree with that but whatever, that is what the law is trying to say)

‘I never even mention dumping and transferral of roms. I was simply stating that the creation of an emulator can be done both legally and without breaching intellectual property laws.

Btw I can't find/quote Mr Hero here that says he has a big boy job and doesn't pirate. But what are you doing on an emulation / piracy news forum then LMAO.

‘With regards to emulation, see above. With regards to piracy I said I don’t do it if I can help it, but if you don’t give me a way to buy it legally, I’m happy to pirate abandonware/retro software. I’m not saying this makes sense logically, it’s just my moral framework.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Too bad for Gary, now I wonder if he'll find a way to skate on these charges like he did the counterfeit DVD stuff back in 08 or on the flipside if they will throw the book extra hard at him because now it shows that he's a track record of counterfeiting related crimes.
who knows I hope the best for them though, even though I'm not a fan of what SXOS has done I can respect they provided a service to the community.
and I still prefer my SXOS pro switch vs. the backup one that I have set up with atmosphere

screw Nintendo

Reactions: DrunkenMonk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag