Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I DONT KNOW! First it was HUGE, like 5 or 6, then i tried to reduce the size and theres no in between, so it was either really small (like the one you saw) or really big.

Anyway, thanks. Wanted to give it a try for Mario Tennis but i rather not. Still, i think its """safe""" to update XCIs with OFW for now, right?

Thanks again!
Thanks for the laugh XD

And there are 3 users who were banned for solely updating their backups in OFW. I should also mention that they used AutoRCM from TX which may or may not be an additional risk factor.

Reactions: alexj9626

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ban? No
SX used? Yes
SX used while online? Yes for nsp updates.
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? No
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.2 offline. 1.3 online.
Non-TX Layered FS Used? N

Used DevMenu? Yes.
Installed any .NSP? Yes.
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Yes if u mean connecting the switch to wifi (4g hotspot). No if u mean using online play.
Did you play any .NSP installed online? No.
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? Yes once for one game. (eXhop).
Backups updated? Both OFW and CFW (most games in CFW though since i use AUTO RCM). (about 30 in CFW and 10 or so in OFW)
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Yes used homebrew apps (Exhop, checkpoint) no crashes.
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? Yes
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Yes (To check if i was banned yet or not)
AutoRCM? Yes TX.
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? No
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? No

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? No logs cleared.
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Yes
Wi-Fi settings deleted? Yes and no, sometimes i keep it in just airplane mode, sometimes i remove settings too. (maybe worth mentioning: i ONLY connect my switch to my iphone hotspot (4g only, no wifi).
Airplane mode? Yes, on occasion. ^
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? No.
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Yes suprisingly.
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Yes, everything works.

Console/Account Region(s) EU.
Trimmed .XCI? Yes, before NSP became a thing, not owning and XCI anymore.
Additional Comments

I'm suprised i'm not banned yet to be fair, i havent kept it a secret for nintendo that i am using SX os.

Of course i will post an update if anything changes.

*i have removed some questions that are not relevant for me.

Reactions: Draxzelex

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Idk where you live but where I'm from, the time when you posted that message is sleepy time. Anyways, I see the thread about it so give me some time to catch up cuz I just woke up not too long ago. I'm definitely going to have to update the questionnaire with this information.
.XCI cannot be played online because they're usually dumped without the certificate. The certificate is needed to play the game online. Nintendo can choose not to ban the whole console but the certificate if they have reason to believe it is being used maliciously.

LayeredFS is a file swapping system that was used as a way to load backups.
Preliminary readings suggest that you lose access to all online features which includes eShop, online play, and updates

Interesting, so it'll have to be devmenu and nsps all the way from here, plus system updates via rajkosto's method

KingMuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ban? N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? N
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N

Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? N
Backups updated? N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (EdiZon AND gcdumptool //NO CRASHES)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? Y (only in tablet mode)
Airplane mode? N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y (Am not running backups as of this post and WILL disable this function when I and IF I do)
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Y

Console/Account Region(s) North America (USA) on FW: 5.1.0
Trimmed .XCI? Y (BUT will not be running backups not for a while as stated in additional comments)
Additional Comments:
I activated my SX/OS license through the website method, I use the TX CFW and my so far minimal Homebrew usage ONLY in tablet mode with wifi settings deleted, I edited my octopath traveler save file for max gold, I dumped two certs (one of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Octopath traveler), I dumped those specific certs to inject into any offline single player games/online multiplayer games I may run. (Truth be told even though I dumped those certs. I WON'T be running any back ups YET til more info and ban safe shit comes out and etc) I use my switch in docked mode with a wired connection for normal play this including me playing my save edited octopath traveler (US Retail copy)

Last edited by KingMuk,

DarkKnightPT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ban? N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? Y
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? N
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/Y
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? TX/Hekate/Both/N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Y

Console/Account Region(s): Europe on FW: 5.1.0
Trimmed .XCI? Y
Additional Comments:
I activated my SX/OS license through the website method, i only change games in airplane mode, and i'm only online with the certeficate patched .xci. I've been playing splatoon 2 , minecraft, mario kart 8 without any issues online for one week now

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not banned (yet).
I just use hekate (without sig patch) just for homebrew and checkpoint, I seriously hope I won't be ban just for that.
Yesterday I even bought 4 indies game on eshop...

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if someone developed a method of changing your cart's unique code upon loading it each time?
Like, if there was a backup we wanted to load, we'd use the tool to patch the way Nintendo catches people.
Just a little idea. I thought it would work perfectly with Xecuter's real time game changing mechanic.
Maybe like it could generate a random code. But would someone else who happens to have that code get banned?
Oh wait, don't they also track which switch unit you're using too?

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if someone developed a method of changing your cart's unique code upon loading it each time?
Like, if there was a backup we wanted to load, we'd use the tool to patch the way Nintendo catches people.
Just a little idea. I thought it would work perfectly with Xecuter's real time game changing mechanic.
Maybe like it could generate a random code. But would someone else who happens to have that code get banned?
Oh wait, don't they also track which switch unit you're using too?
One would first have to reverse engineer the cartridge certificates and we don't even fully understand all of the data present in them. For example, cartridge certificates are unique to a degree because you can only redeem one per lifetime for gold coins. How Nintendo keeps track of this is beyond our current knowledge but its possible that certificates are more unique than we think. Based on what we know and if I was a hacker, I'd at least modify the title ID portion of the certificate so it matches the base game. But again, we don't know what other unique data is stored on the certificate to make it completely safe.

And they also can track the console using that certificate so instead of banning the certificate, they can still ban the console.

protivakid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk where you live but where I'm from, the time when you posted that message is sleepy time. Anyways, I see the thread about it so give me some time to catch up cuz I just woke up not too long ago. I'm definitely going to have to update the questionnaire with this information.
.XCI cannot be played online because they're usually dumped without the certificate. The certificate is needed to play the game online. Nintendo can choose not to ban the whole console but the certificate if they have reason to believe it is being used maliciously.

LayeredFS is a file swapping system that was used as a way to load backups.
Preliminary readings suggest that you lose access to all online features which includes eShop, online play, and updates

Thanks for the reply!
1) If we dump our own carts is dumping the Cert an option when doing so?
2) Is the LayeredFS just the splitting of the XCI files so they fit on Fat32? Or something different?

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply!
1) If we dump our own carts is dumping the Cert an option when doing so?
2) Is the LayeredFS just the splitting of the XCI files so they fit on Fat32? Or something different?
  1. Yes, you can choose to dump with or without the certificate
  2. When you break open a .XCI or .NSP, it contains a lot of .NCA folders which contains the actual game files. By swapping these files around, you can mod your games like this. For example, say you wanted to load a custom model in MK8D. You would convert that model into a working format the game would understand, put it in the appropriate folder on your SD card, and LayeredFS takes care of the rest

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Question, I'm on 5.1.0 and always on airplane mode. installing .nsps through tinfoil but i want to go online after booting stock+clear logs to download pokemon quest. would I get banned? is there something else i should do besides booting stock + clear logs?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ