Nintendo shuts down decade old fan game creation tool Pokemon Essentials

Chary Aug 29, 2018.

1. Yaro

Yaro Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2018
    Russia
    Don't this defeat purpose of fan game? Or you mean they should draw pikachoo and others themselve for that? Hm.....

They make they own - levels/maps, encounters, story/dialogues, perhaps music. It's basically like with mods for doom or half-life, though in that case base content exist in game and fan adds levels to that, while in case with poke (or, for example, any CROSSOVER fangames) they make a base from ripped stuff first, which is then used as base.

2. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Does it defeat the purpose of a fan game? Depends on what the purpose is... Pretty sure Freedom planet didn't defeat the purpose. Not sure Stardew Valley did either.

And no.. This would be the same as me taking all the lines of a book, and separating them, then saying "You can put them together however you like." believe me.. that would get slapped with plagiarism in a hurry.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Yaro

Yaro Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2018
    Russia
    Many fan games are about making new stories for loved characters.

Freedom Planet is "inspired by sonic", but not "something from fans that they do about sonic".

(also, FP and SW are commercial products instead. Or were they not at start?)

Last edited by Yaro, Aug 30, 2018
  4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I'm surprised they went after this instead of the Pokémon browser games and MMOs.

5. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Freedom Planet specifically started as a Sonic Fan game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Planet

and don't fool yourself, things like Pokemon Uranium were commercial products, because they made money off adds on their website.

6. Yaro

Yaro Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2018
    Russia
    I see. They saw potential and decided to make "their own thing". While most fangame authors don't care and instead just do that "ok i download megaman and kingdom hearts sprites, now i insert it in game maker omg omg i make game omg!". Though again need to say plenty of those are at school age or smth, and not "guys who got $ from ads on site".

Last edited by Yaro, Aug 30, 2018
  7. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Exactly, the latter portion explains why this is different the modding an existing game; but the part missing is the redistribution of the ripped assets, which is what Nintendo's DMCA attempts to halt. Not going to get into how effective this kind of move generally is, I just don't think they're the bad guys for doing it.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Didn't know it had been out that long, I never heard of it until after Pokemon Uranium was released so I thought they were publicly released around the same time. It is a really solid Pokemon engine, too bad it was taken down, but I doubt that's going to stop anyone. Vinemon is made in it too, I hope they won't abandon it cause that seems like a solid double fangame.

All they really have to do is replace the ripped assets with custom ones, and change the name to something else, but then it won't be a Pokemon fangame engine anymore, just a Pokemon-like engine. But there's nothing preventing people from adding those assets back in themselves if they want to, or making a separate pack with the Pokemon assets.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 31, 2018
    Subtle Demise and RedBlueGreen like this.
  9. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    So, is the Switch hacked wide open yet? Can't wait to pirate more games out of pure spite.

10. tehrzky

tehrzky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2015
    Sega is different they encourage modders. look at Street of Rage:Remake (fan made). Sonic Mania

i hope nintendo dont sue people has Zelda Name. (like robin williams daughter)

Last edited by tehrzky, Sep 1, 2018
  11. Yaro

Yaro Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2018
    Russia
    but..

Zelda is a nickname for the feminine name Griselda,[1] which may originally have meant "dark battle",[2] and also the feminine form of the Yiddish name Selig,[1] meaning "blessed", "happy".[3]

Contents

• 1 People
    • 2 Fictional characters
    • 3 See also
    • 4 References
    People
    • Sean N. Zelda, musician who founded the band We Came as Romans
    • Zelda Fichandler (1924–2016), American director and educator
    • Zelda Fitzgerald (1900–1948), American writer; wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald
    • Zelda Harris (born 1985), American actress
    • Zelda Kahan (1886–1969), British communist
    • Zelda Kaplan (1917–2012), American socialite
    • Zelda La Grange (born 1970), former private secretary to President Nelson Mandela
    • Zelda McCague (1888–2001), Canadian supercentenarian
    • Zelda Schneersohn Mishkovsky (1914–1984), (pen-name "Zelda"), Israeli poet, notable writer of Hebrew religious poetry
    • Zelda Nolte, South African-British sculptor
    • Zelda Popkin (1898–1983), American mystery novelist
    • Zelda Rubinstein (1933–2010), American actress
    • Zelda Sears (1873–1935), American entertainer
    • Zelda the brain, a female professional wrestler from the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling
    • Zelda Wynn Valdes (1905–2001), African-American fashion designer and costumer
    • Zelda Williams (born 1989), American actress and daughter of Robin Williams
    • Zelda Zonk, a pseudonym used by Marilyn Monroe (1926–1962)
    Fictional characters

• Princess Zelda, in The Legend of Zelda video game series
    • Zelda Gilroy, in the 1959–1963 TV series The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
    • Zelda Reginhard, in the anime and manga series Lotte no Omocha!
    • Zelda Spellman, Sabrina's aunt in Sabrina, the Teenage Witch
    • Zelda Spooner, in Billy Wilder's 1964 comedy film Kiss Me, Stupid
    • Zelda, the main villainess in the 1998 direct-to-video film The Swan Princess: The Mystery of the Enchanted Kingdom
    • Zelda, the main villainess in the British TV series Terrahawks
    • Zelda, the dog mascot of Nickelodeon Magazine
    • Zelda, in Stephen King's book Pet Semetary and the film adaptation
    • Zelda Schiff, Head Librarian in The Magicians (U.S. TV series)

Subtle Demise and tehrzky like this.
  12. nintendo1889

nintendo1889 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2016
    United States
    why can't the creators provides patches/diffs from the official games?

13. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    If Nintendo shuts down this, they should really release a program/game to make our own pokemon games and share them online
    However, I think this program would be suited for PC only, I mean, to download others games
    it would saturate your HDD/SD card on switch
    And if it only suits for PC, well, I bet Nintendo won'T even think about releasing it...
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think they never released any 1st party games on PC, right?

14. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Correct. Which is very annoying to me now. I want to be able to play those Nintendo IPs at 1080p 60 fps, and be able to record with Shadowplay.