Nintendo says it currently has no plans to release any other Switch revisions beyond the OLED model

oled_model_photo_01.0.jpg

With Bloomberg having spent years reporting on the existence of an upgraded Nintendo Switch unit, and for all those rumors to culminate in the Nintendo Switch OLED model, some fans have been disappointed with all Nintendo has to offer. Beyond that, others believe that the fabled "Switch Pro" still exists, but has been delayed due to a shortage of materials, with some outlets still speculating that the information leak of "4K output" for a new Switch variant means there will be an inevitable Switch Pro somewhere down the line. Nintendo themselves have stepped in to right the rumors and say, definitively, that they have "no plans for launching any other model [of the Nintendo Switch] at this time".

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's dead wrong, Steam boxes were manufactured by third parties and they were never advertised as giving a console-like experience. They were just full desktop PCs with Linux.

SteamOS itself is a thoroughly 10-foot-UI customization of linux. This, along with big picture mode and steam controllers, was all part of a concerted attempt to get more PCs into living rooms, becoming a console alternative. Maybe not really marketing it that way was a part of its failure, although you can't really get around the lack of game support at the time.

Steam controller was never meant to replace other controllers, it was only meant to give people a way to play KB+M games from the couch. And in that respect it was successful.

Anything you fire sale and discontinue did not achieve the level of success you were hoping for. Nor have any competitors arose to do anything like it. Again this was part of their push to get PCs into the living room and the controller didn't get as far as they hoped. They raised the white flag and have instead been adapting the customization tech to support console controllers, which has some nice perks but does barely anything for most KB+M style games.

I don't think you realize just how much money Steam rakes in. Deck is the first product that Valve actually cares about commercial success for. Everything else was just a vanity/side project that they built simply because they could. Proof-of-concept type stuff. Well, except for Index, which has been quite successful in its own right.

Links and Controllers were built in huge quantiites and widely available in retail, which is why they had to be fire saled'. Index is not and so far neither is the Deck, they have really scaled back their production to avoid running into such a disaster again. (Yes Index is quality but boku expensive, how many are even being sold? Facebook and Samsung dominate Steam VR.) We're lucky if a million Decks have even been ordered and deliveries are stretching out to over a year from now. Again I think that small scope fine for what Valve is doing, they aren't trying to launch a console with a unique ecosystem, but they aren't producing nearly enough for any potential success to be measured against the big boys like Nintendo and Sony.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you can't really get around the lack of game support at the time.
Yeah that's fair, at that time it would've made more sense to ship with Windows even if it cost a bit more. Now a push for Linux gaming makes a lot more sense, with Proton at 80% compatibility and sure to be higher by launch. Valve has really put the work in.

Anything you fire sale and discontinue did not achieve the level of success you were hoping for.
Also worth nothing Valve was sued by those douchebags at SCUF over the Steam controller, so they probably discontinued that sooner than they've would've liked to. A v2 would've been interesting to see.

(Yes Index is quality but boku expensive, how many are even being sold? Facebook and Samsung dominate Steam VR.)
It's regularly in the top sellers on Steam believe it or not, and that first year it was impossible to get without a pre-order. I myself bought the Index controllers on their own as I already had another headset and base stations. So it helps that it's modular like that.

We're lucky if a million Decks have even been ordered and deliveries are stretching out to over a year from now.
Umm, deliveries don't start until December, so really they're stretching out like 5-6 months from launch tops.

Again I think that small scope fine for what Valve is doing, they aren't trying to launch a console with a unique ecosystem, but they aren't producing nearly enough for any potential success to be measured against the big boys like Nintendo and Sony.
Yeah as I said in another post, Steam Deck is a loss-leader for PC gaming in general. Valve is trying to get more manufacturers, gamers, and developers into this space by introducing a portable option at a very competitive price point. If they sell ten million I'm sure it'll be considered a huge success, even though that's a failure by console standards. But with 60+ million DAUs and a peak of 100+ million active users, Steam is already huge. Adding just a couple million more users looking to build their libraries is a win.

And hey, if four years from now, Nintendo still hasn't releasing anything that can come close to matching Steam Deck's power, then maybe there will be more of a mass exodus.

Last edited by Xzi,

DrQuack102

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, Nintendo trynna let Steam Deck just beat them huh?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No more Switch models? Get ready for Switch 2.
FACTS!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo is getting cocky again....
Honestly, I hope that the Steam Deck does well just so that Nintendo gets off their high-horse and actually have to try again

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do Nintendo even get the benefit of the doubt these days?
How many times now have we had reports, pictures and more from warehouse workers of games, consoles, peripherals, revisions and more being physically present in front of them only for Nintendo to say "nope, not happening" before announcing it formally the next day?
1st February:
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-not-planning-to-announce-a-new-switch-model-anytime-soon

5 months later Nintendo announced the OLED Switch

Of course they say this though. They don't want you waiting around for the next model when you can buy the current

January 2006: DS redesign pushed back
Literally immediately after: DS Lite officially announced

April 2008: Nintendo Denies New DS Model
May 2008: Nintendo tells us why there won't be a new DS anytime soon
October 2008: Nintendo announces DSi

June 2012: New 3DS unlikely, Nintendo planning next-gen portable - Miyamoto
3 days later: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year

I'm not sure why people still listen to Nintendo... :unsure:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why are they always lying to us though? They said the same thing a month before releasing the Switch Lite.

It's not a lie. They could have a switch 2 sitting in a warehouse with no plans to release it yet, then tomorrow they plan the release.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'm still holding out for a screenless home console version - whether that's a 'pro' model (with 4k upscaling and more capable hardware) or not, I don't care... I just don't want a 'hybrid' that will remain docked for it's entire existence.
Of course they're going to say they have no plans for any further hardware revisions - if they didn't it would harm the sales of the overpriced OLED model they've just revealed.

My prediction will be that the OLED (if it sells well, which I doubt) will replace the standard model and drop in price to the same as the standard model, the lite will get a small price drop as production costs decline, and some form of enhanced pro model will launch at the same price point that the OLED model is currently set for (cheaper if there's a screenless home-only variant).

There's no longer any reason for console life cycles to be an expected 5-8 years. We haven't seen the massive jumps in performance and graphics that we did every generation pre the last two.
Nintendo gave the 3ds almost 10 years worth of support - I can see them giving at least that, if not a few more, to the Switch... which means that the OLED model certainly won't be the last version of the system we see.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah unfortunately there will still be plenty of takers for the exact same hardware with a different screen. Which is why Nintendo won't feel the need to sell substantially-improved hardware at a loss, even if Steam Deck also sells well. C'est la vie, that's exclusively to the detriment of anyone who goes Nintendo-only from here on out.

I will probably get an OLED switch to replace my V2, still unsure.
Also thinking about a Steam Deck, but it just seems pointless. Most of the stuff I would like to play portable, is already available on either android or the switch.

Also, Valve may have a massive following and Steam be very well known, but for the most part, it still ends up losing to Nintendo as a brand name. While a lot of people know steam, it's as a service, not a console. The typical soccer mom, if seeing both systems side by side, would most likely choose a Switch, because of how well known Nintendo's name is.

Nintendo is also worth nearly 10 times more than Valve (also worth more than Sony by a large margin).

I dont see the Steam Deck being a rival to the switch, but more like another portable pc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'm still holding out for a screenless home console version - whether that's a 'pro' model (with 4k upscaling and more capable hardware) or not, I don't care... I just don't want a 'hybrid' that will remain docked for it's entire existence.

If everybody is supposed to have looked on and learned the lesson by seeing that power increasing addons tend to split the market then I can only imagine what lessons they took from the PSTV last go around. Equally while as just covered their word is not worth much they did commit to not having any non handheld games which most took as ruling that out as a thing.

To that end probably going to have to do it yourself. Though console modding where you mainly care about removing things and maybe resoldering a connector and beefing up the cooling is probably not so bad.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch Pro is probably real, they backed off due to Covid chip shortages. Screens were available so they did a final revision Switch leading in to a new system.

Switch Pro is probably going to be a true successor debuting next year with their typical dual Zelda release. Holdays 2022.

Nintendo loves to launch Consoles with a new Zelda on deck.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a part of me hopes that this is true, because I don't really have the money for a new system at this time, and I'd feel obligated to replace my two hooked up switches with better versions if a super switch came out. I also buy a lot of games, so that's where most of my money goes. I'm a little concerned about money atm, because I'm on disability. short term is 3 years, and it was 3 years on July 1st. I don't know if I'll get another payment in a week and a half on August 1st or if I'm on permanent disability, though I've received no letter telling me I needed to refile. that's why I'm holding off on buying the ys ix, monster hunter stories 2, and disgaea 6 dlc. ;)

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does ANYONE, believe any of this.

Profits are absolutely higher (very high anyway given what they're charging vs. What you actually receive. Worse still, Joy Cons are STILL faulty by design and STILL knowingly sold this way.

Regarding 4K model, I'm confident they have one planned, but "technically" no longer have one planned. Once the manufacturer, shipping and importing situations are clearer, they'll have a better idea.

They very likely do have a 4k model planned, but has now been moved back, but to not himder sales, annoy investors, they've made this dishonest (in my opinion) statement.

4k model will only be upscale anyways, so not as big a deal as it seems.

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I hope that Bloomberg now understands that Nintendo does not want to release a Switch Pro, as the OLED model is about to come out.

And considering the Switch itself is already 4 years old, I guess that it's time to work on a brand new console. What will it ever be!?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"The DS won't replace the GBA"
"The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U"
Sakurai: "I won't work anymore on smash bros after Smash4"
"We are working on multiple gamepad support for WiiU"
"Zelda will release on 2015"
"We don't believe in online gaming"
"There are no plans to release Majora's Mask 3DS"
"When you turn on the Revolution and see the graphics, you will say 'wow'"
"Nintendo would never release smartphone games"
"No friend codes on the Nintendo Switch"

I love Nintendo, but we are quite used to never trust anything that they say.

Reactions: Rahkeesh and duwen

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Part of me says that this is a PR tactic to persuade & get people to buy the new OLED when it's available, them saying "yep, the Switch Pro is on the the way" makes the OLED model redundant in the eyes of gamers, and that would mean it not selling well. Also at this point, Nintendo knows that their hardware is already dated, they're saving this upgrade -that they're most certainly've been working on- to be the Switch's successor. The big question is backwards compatibilty would be a semi-feature, full compatibility, or no compatibilty at all?

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the average person doesn't even know what a steam is, let alone want it.

Literally the steam box were for the average joe, it was a pc to put next to the tv to play pc games and take over the console market, look how well that went.

the Steam controller valve buried was to turn pc gamers used to using a controller over the mouse and keyboard and revolutionize the controller market and that went the same way.

So yeah i dont think steam knows alot about selling hardware, there is a large diference from selling downloadable stuff on a digital storefront to actual hardware sales.
Steam has more active users than Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. You think the average joe is stupid when in reality they probably know steam more than any of the other brands lmao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom)...