Nintendo releases Earthbound on Wii U Virtual Console!

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is, buying a Wii U for Earthbound is probably about the same price as getting an original cartridge on eBay.

Species8472

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played through the game for the first time within the last month and a half. It has it's problems that almost caused me to give up on it, but overall I enjoyed my time with it.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The prices mentioned here of $100 to $200 for a SNES cart seem crazy high. I bought a (admittedly dirty, but with good label) cartridge on eBay for $18 in 2005.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To the people in here bad mouthing Earthbound.....LOL...seriously that's all I can do is laugh.
Fucking Classic Enough Said.

The prices mentioned here of $100 to $200 for a SNES cart seem crazy high. I bought a (admittedly dirty, but with good label) cartridge on eBay for $18 in 2005.

I found one at my local game store for $60 ya 200 is wayyyyy overpriced

Reactions: Yepi69

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Aren't canadians supposed to be kind?
And I am also a EarthBound fan but I don't give a shit of what they say.

Stereotypes gotta love em, come to Toronto and tell me if you find any of these "Kind Canadian's" your mentioning. Anyway ya Earthbound is amazing I'm not gonna argue about it I just thought it was funny that people actually say its overrated I mean fine it's not your cup of tea but overrated? come on

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES is more difficult to emulate than GBA due to the SNES using a non-ARM CPU. We will likely never see SNES games on 3DS for this reason.

Which is weird seeing as Sega is releasing a few Genesis games in 3D sometime this year; the Genesis had a Motorola 68000 with a Z80 co-processor, so at least Sega proved it possible to emulate a 16-bit console on the 3DS.

The problem with Snes is you'd have to translate code from Ricoh 65c816 ASM to ARM, which while not impossible, is very difficult. Power wise, speed should be fine, but the coding isn't easy at all.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stereotypes gotta love em, come to Toronto and tell me if you find any of these "Kind Canadian's" your mentioning. Anyway ya Earthbound is amazing I'm not gonna argue about it I just thought it was funny that people actually say its overrated I mean fine it's not your cup of tea but overrated? come on

You realize that "overrated" doesn't mean bad, right? Not being as good as people claim doesn't mean it can't still be good.

Earthbound's fine. It's a pretty decent RPG with some interesting ideas and a few nice jokes. When people praise the game as if it was the absolute greatest thing to ever grace the medium, however, it's going to struggle to live up to the hype and people will call it "overrated" as a result.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SNES is more difficult to emulate than GBA due to the SNES using a non-ARM CPU. We will likely never see SNES games on 3DS for this reason.

I think 3DS is more than capable of running SNES games that don't require special chips. Having seen SNES emulators on the DS running decently, abeit with some graphical problems, is proof of that (not to mention they had to deal with some faulty hardware design like reading non-sequentially from RAM). Also remember, not all VC emulators are the same. Each one is more or less fine-tuned to work better and more stable with the game designed for it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played through Earthbound at least a half dozen times when it came out on the SNES. Was probably my favorite RPG of that gen. Don't remember how/where I got it but it was cool that it came with a strategy guide and scratch & sniff cards.

How many people clamoring on here for it were even alive when this was released?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played through Earthbound at least a half dozen times when it came out on the SNES. Was probably my favorite RPG of that gen. Don't remember how/where I got it but it was cool that it came with a strategy guide and scratch & sniff cards.

How many people clamoring on here for it were even alive when this was released?

Been gaming since 1993 thank you, Snes was my first console. Rented it back in 1995 then I got it for $30 later on. I bought the game because I want to support Nintendo. Buying it for the Wii U > than spending $100 for a used copy that doesn't work ;)

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Been gaming since 1993 thank you, Snes was my first console. Rented it back in 19985 then I got it for $30 later on. If Nintendo wants people to support the VC, there needs to be more games people are familiar with. I bought the game because I want to support Nintendo.

Randomizer's so retro that he has been renting consoles since 19985 :P

Reactions: the_randomizer

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PSP and the DSTWO can do it easy and IIRC Earthbound was one of the few games that SnemuLDS (the SNES emulator for plain DS carts) didn't even have a problem with. It's more of a matter of Nintendo wanting/not wanting to release SNES games on handheld than it is the actual capabilities of the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/gz90ppV7yfE?si=y1IdUB1kPvndhn5P