Nintendo releases Earthbound on Wii U Virtual Console!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TwinRetro, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TwinRetro
    OP

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    [​IMG]

In a completely random and generous move by Nintendo, Earthbound has been released to Wii U Virtual Console. Now you no longer have to plonk down upwards of $200 to own a legit copy of Earthbound. For time immemorial (or at least since the Wii was released) Earthbound/Mother fans have been clamoring for a re-release on Virtual Console to get their fix, as Mother 3 was never released to Western markets, and copies of Earthbound were too steep to justify purchasing through legitimate means.

There has been much speculation as to why Earthbound was never re-released, from the final boss being too disturbing, to songs and characters in-game matching too closely to Beatles songs and band members. No matter what reason they didn't put it out until now, it's on sale on the Wii U Virtual Console for $10.

Source

xwatchmanx, 2ndApex, GHANMI and 10 others like this.
  2. Tonitonichopchop

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States
    Really wish I had a Wii U so I could get this. I'm a huge fan of Earthbound and it saddens me that I've had no way of legally purchasing it until now. Once I finally plonk down for a Wii U, this is the game I'll have to get asap.

3. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    :toot: I just checked the eshop and it is available in europe, too. (Of course 1:1 = 9.99 Euro)
    Yesterday I was so disappointed that there is no new Wii U - VC this week and now there is Earthbound! :grog:
    Finally Earthbound is coming to europe!

4. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I never played Earthbound so maybe I will once I finally get a Wii U.

5. Enchilada

Enchilada GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Romania
    Hyrule
    There's still a full translation of Mother 3. I'll use that since I don't have a Wii U.

6. admung

admung Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2013
    United States
    Hawaii
    Earthbound is Mother 2, not Mother 3. You'll be playing a completely different game. Earthbound was released in the US anyways, so I don't know why would even need a translation...

7. narutofan777

narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2010
    Afghanistan
    Concerning the matter of making a new game in this franchise, I looked long and hard for a reason and found that such a thing is beyond my comprehension.

-----

i have no idea y these pplz cant make a new game for the series.

8. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    Completely random? It was announced about a month ago...

9. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    God damn finally, I am so getting that game, can't wait to hop on a Wii U's gamepad and play it on the gamepad while I'm taking a shit lol

Ammako likes this.
  10. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Great news indeed, but that £6.99/€9.99 price tag is hardly what I'd call generous.... sure it's a great game but WHY do they feel justified in charging an inflated price? ...I was tempted to buy even though I have it in vWii mode, but at £1.50 extra? Cheeky buggers...

11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Didn't they announce this back in April or so? During one of their Nintendo directs?

I don't know why Nintendo is offering this only on the Wii U Virtual Console. A port of an almost 30-year old niche title is not going to sell systems, and the more places you offer the game, the more people can be exposed to the title, which could only boost awareness of the franchise as a whole. I mean, that would make sense, but nooo...

Anyway, I can't say I care too much. I'm still awaiting the literary adaptation, Prometheus Earthbound.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  12. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Because Itoi wanted to get out of game design and nobody has taken up his offer of having somebody else make a new one.

More On-topic: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I've played this game so many times illegally and I can't wait to play my favorite game of all time legally (and in a language I understand, my MOTHER 2 cart doesn't get used much)!

Now to wait until I can afford a Wii U...

Yepi69 likes this.
  13. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    How come you 'have it' on vWii if it wasn't released on Wii Shop yet? Unless its through emulation.
    Also the original cartridge itself costs 200$ and more (official full box costs up to 1000$, no jokes aside).
    So 10€ is a good price for that game.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  14. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Because nobody buys them.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  15. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Because almost no one bought EarthBound, it sold pretty well on Japan, all 3 games.
    Also the creator itself said he didn't want to make any more Mother games, Mother 3 had 6 years of development.

16. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Yep, emulation. And yep, I know it costs an arm n a leg for the cartridge, but I still can't see why they feel it justifies an extra £1.50 over the other SNES VC games (and yes they did the same thing on Wii VC/3DS eShop, which also pisses me off - Squeenix do the same with PS1 classics too..)
    Still great value of course, but the UK price of £5.49 should really be standard for all games: I mean what's next "Link to the Past always gets good reviews, let's clod a couple of quid on that too" ??

17. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

"Sells well in Japan" is not really good for Nintendo which basically goes for a worldwide approach.

xwatchmanx and Ergo like this.
  18. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

We've had this discussion before, but no, they really didn't. Mother 3, for example, only sold about 400,000 copies. For a Nintendo franchise on the GBA (an incredibly popular and widely adopted platform), that's paltry. Compare those sales to, say, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire (which sold 1.25 million in their first few days of release in Japan). Even if you split that in half to account for both versions, each version still sold about 625,000 in just a few days, while Mother 3 could only reach 400,000 throughout its whole lifetime.

The Mother franchise has always been a franchise that appealed only to a niche audience. Whatever the creator says, if Nintendo saw another Mother entry as a worthwhile venture, they would have made it.

xwatchmanx and Guild McCommunist like this.
  19. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Honestly never really saw the fuss about Earthbound.

So I'll give this a miss on my non existant WiiU.

20. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    ''sold well in Japan'' but its just a franchise that was made popular on Japan only.