Nintendo Posts First Operating Profit in Four Years

Luigi Money.png
It's been quite some time since we've heard good news from Nintendo's accountants. The company has been posting operational losses for four years in a row, but this time around it seems that fortune is smiling upon our favourite company from the land of the cherry blossom.

According to their latest financial report, Nintendo has posted an operating profit of 24.8 billion yen ($208 million) for the fiscal year, a huge improvement from last year's $390 million operating loss. Although their revenue continues to decline, the company seems to be recovering from a four-year long rut.

The Time attributes these good results to Nintendo's recent high-profile releases including Super Smash Bros. 4, Pokemon ORAS and Mario Kart 8, the current Wii U best-seller. I myself would like to add that Amiibos turned out to be big money-makers for the company and they probably helped Nintendo turn over a New Leaf, pun intended. Here's for hoping Nintendo continues on their road to recovery and becomes consistently profitable once again.

:arrow: Source

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, Canadian monopoly money. Seriously though, you're talking to someone who imported a New 3DS XL from Australia just so that his girlfriend could enjoy it a couple of months before everybody else, I'm afraid that your argument is not very compelling. That, and we've gone off-topic enough, this thread is about Nintendo's profit after a long dry spell, not about XC. I wish Nintendo all the best with XCX, I'm just being realistic about it. It should do better in the states than in Japan, the Wii U is dead over there.
Its dead everywhere plus outside of Japan the fan base is very small

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Asia has been going away from consoles for years to mobile and what not though. Nintendo really just has alwaysed fed up since the n64 in some way that cost them in some ways
It goes even as far as the N64 times - Nintendo's home consoles just do better in the states, better than anywhere else. This alone leaves me wondering as to why they're not kowtowing to their Western audience - it's their primary source of profit, it has been for decades. Weekly Wii U sales in the states are double of those in Europe+Australia and quadruple of those in Japan. Honestly, Nintendo should be pro-American in just about every possible way, and yet it's their American fans that usually seem to get shafted by them. I have no idea how that relationship works, but I'm suspecting Stockholm syndrome. Seriously, look at the numbers for the N64, Gamecube or the Wii U and you'll immediately see what I mean.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It goes even as far as the N64 times - Nintendo's home consoles just do better in the states, better than anywhere else. This alone leaves me wondering as to why they're not kow-towing to their Western audience - it's their primary source of profit, it has been for decades. Wii U sales in the states are double than those in Europe+Australia and quadruple than those in Japan. Honestly, Nintendo should be pro-American in just about every possible way, and yet it's their American fans that usually seem to get shafted by them. I have no idea how that relationship works, but I'm suspecting Stockholm syndrome. Seriously, look at the numbers for the N64, Gamecube or the Wii U and you'll immediately see what I mean.
Actually i was referring to the consoles not doing well period due to reasons like storage or weak specs.

At least the GameCube and Xbox were close(wish) in sales while both were whipped by ps2 and the n64 did okish for lack of 3rd party,higher priced games , storage issues and others.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually i was referring to the consoles not doing well period due to reasons like storage or weak specs.
I don't think that's a problem for the American Nintendo audience, they don't seem to mind clearly inferior hardware.
At least the GameCube and Xbox were close(wish) in sales while both were whipped by ps2 and the n64 did okish for lack of 3rd party, higher priced games, storage issues and others.
The Xbox was a brand-new system on the market coming from Microsoft, a company that's never released a console before. The fact that seasoned veterans of the industry like Nintendo got their asses whooped by a complete greenhorn was embarrassing.

As for the N64, it didn't do "okayish", it got decimated. 32 million (N64) versus 102 million (PS1) sold consoles isn't even a fair fight, it's a blood sport, and that's saying something considering the fact that, again, the PS1 was Sony's first console while Nintendo was well-known for their previous quality systems - the NES, the SNES and the Game Boy.

Wanna know something interesting? Out of those 32 million sold systems, 20 million were sold in North America - that's more than the European and Japanese sales put together. Nintendo should be thanking the U.S and other NA countries for buying the N64 because if not for them, it would be just a footnote in the book of console history rather than a cult classic system people worship today.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No a diverse portfolio is also good for protection since you need more things to go wrong which is less likely.

As for Sony they could survive without video gaming by firing people and what not but Nintendo has no non gaming assets other than licensing ips and owning the mariners

The only reason that Sony maybe making money now, if they are, is the fact that they shut down divisions other than the gaming division, selling off assets, and laying off employees. Sony was doing really bad a few years ago, and still might be but I haven't heard of it in the news lately.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No wasn't referring to the product but portfolio diversity

It's not just one product, it's an entire line of health related stuff (the first will be a kind of wireless sleep vitals monitor for heart rate and fun stuff like that, good for people like me who have anxiety and want to keep track of their heart rate overnight). It could be promising, it could flop, but either way my curiosity is kind of piqued

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people took this thread to still bash on Nintendo.

Anyway, they are doing good and spreading. Starting health, mobile, movies (Pixel) and parks.
We'll eventually have a selection of Nintendo shows and movies to watch.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that's a problem for the American Nintendo audience, they don't seem to mind clearly inferior hardware.
The Xbox was a brand-new system on the market coming from Microsoft, a company that's never released a console before. The fact that seasoned veterans of the industry like Nintendo got their asses whooped by a complete greenhorn was embarrassing.

As for the N64, it didn't do "okayish", it got decimated. 32 million (N64) versus 102 million (PS1) sold consoles isn't even a fair fight, it's a blood sport, and that's saying something considering the fact that, again, the PS1 was Sony's first console while Nintendo was well-known for their previous quality systems - the NES, the SNES and the Game Boy.

Wanna know something interesting? Out of those 32 million sold systems, 20 million were sold in North America - that's more than the European and Japanese sales put together. Nintendo should be thanking the U.S and other NA countries for buying the N64 because if not for them, it would be just a footnote in the book of console history rather than a cult classic system people worship today.
Well Xbox in many ways while new did make many superior choices like great specs, good third party, better deals (Xbox and Sega >>>>> Nintendo and capcom)

N64 was "okayish" considering it actually survived and did decent do the crap factors Nintendo created.

Bottom line
Nintendo consoles did good for the bs (no third party) Nintendo put them through (largely due to the fan boys) and the Wii was just a fad (let's be honest the GameCube had better 3rd party and was in specs wasn't as outdated to its competitors)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people took this thread to still bash on Nintendo.

Anyway, they are doing good and spreading. Starting health, mobile, movies (Pixel) and parks.
We'll eventually have a selection of Nintendo shows and movies to watch.

I don't think Pixels is produced by Nintendo, but it might be sponsored by them in some way. However, on every other point I agree with you, as Andre from GameXplain said, "It's a great time for a Nintendo fan to be alive"

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Pixels is produced by Nintendo, but it might be sponsored by them in some way. However, on every other point I agree with you, as Andre from GameXplain said, "It's a great time for a Nintendo fan to be alive"
I know. It just the fact Nintendo let them put DK in the movie. Wreck-it Ralph 2 would probably have a Nintendo character too.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair though, at least SMT X Fire Emblem is coming out... maybe... who the hell knows, there's next to no info on that title, it's in vaporware hell.
They had a direct with info on it not too long ago. We finally got a trailer with actual footage, so I wouldn't say its vaporware anymore

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They both have a good enough cult following that it will be successful with its target audience. It won't be a massive seller, but it will do well enough
Yeah but its just well enough isn't good enough for a system like this (don't get me wrong I'm very excited and hoping to get it)

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wanna know something interesting? Out of those 32 million sold systems, 20 million were sold in North America - that's more than the European and Japanese sales put together.

Well that's putting things into perspective. That's quite a bit more than 50% of its total sale.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No a diverse portfolio is also good for protection since you need more things to go wrong which is less likely.

As for Sony they could survive without video gaming by firing people and what not but Nintendo has no non gaming assets other than licensing ips and owning the mariners

they had like... 10 years to fire people to get their other divisions making money again instead of losing it in the billions but they didnt so i dont see that happening

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1