Nintendo Posts First Operating Profit in Four Years

Luigi Money.png
It's been quite some time since we've heard good news from Nintendo's accountants. The company has been posting operational losses for four years in a row, but this time around it seems that fortune is smiling upon our favourite company from the land of the cherry blossom.

According to their latest financial report, Nintendo has posted an operating profit of 24.8 billion yen ($208 million) for the fiscal year, a huge improvement from last year's $390 million operating loss. Although their revenue continues to decline, the company seems to be recovering from a four-year long rut.

The Time attributes these good results to Nintendo's recent high-profile releases including Super Smash Bros. 4, Pokemon ORAS and Mario Kart 8, the current Wii U best-seller. I myself would like to add that Amiibos turned out to be big money-makers for the company and they probably helped Nintendo turn over a New Leaf, pun intended. Here's for hoping Nintendo continues on their road to recovery and becomes consistently profitable once again.

:arrow: Source

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The current console of this company is dying, because there is only one title on the releaselist for this console for japan on gamefaq. Minions of this company try to defend this line by saying just wait for E3. Yet other consoles like playstation3/4 and xboxone have hugeass list with games to be released in the coming two months. Many games from this company are first party rehashes and remakes, although those do print money for them. Graphics of those games are sub-par, rehashes/remakes has not enough content to being unique or better than the previous one. Again graphic is terrible compared to remastered/remakes of well known company like square-enix.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current console of this company is dying, because there is only one title on the releaselist for this console for japan on gamefaq. Minions of this company try to defend this line by saying just wait for E3. Yet other consoles like playstation3/4 and xboxone have hugeass list with games to be released in the coming two months. Many games from this company are first party rehashes and remakes, although those do print money for them. Graphics of those games are sub-par, rehashes/remakes has not enough content to being unique or better than the previous one. Again graphic is terrible compared to remastered/remakes of well known company like square-enix.

Just wait for E3 :rofl:

Reactions: Margen67

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quality & awareness.
Example:
Just recently we had some friend & family over.
All of them dedicated sony and microsoft owners.
Upon opening my closet to show my latest 360 games, they spotted my gamepad.
They never knew ninty had a new console.
I told them the gamepad wasnt the actual colsole.
I explained it was part of the wiiu gamesystem.
I got the usual complaints about Nintendo games were kiddy and graphics could never catch up.
I let them play ,Nintendoland, Mariokart8, art academy, Bayonetta2, Sm3d world, Smash bros, Lego city, rayman, dk country, zelda ww, Monster hunter.
They could not put down their controllers. They had so much fun TOGETHER.
They also were pleasanty surprised by the Wiiu graphics , the speed and fluidity they are presented. Mind blow that games like smash bros run at 60 fps in full hd, (1080p ) the possibilies of the gamepad and that you can use wiimotes, ccpro, wiiu pro controllers. The fact that it's also a full softmoddable Wii system also was positively received.
Free online multiplayer was initially not believed........

To cut story short, all families got a wii u sytem last week.
This after playing just one evening, quality games and family fun made them belivers.
I think Nintendo thought their wiiu system would sell itself after the succes of the Wii.
In this particular case it proofes they promoted the Wii u not enough.
I was really surprised they shifted from hardcore nintendo sceptics to Nintendo lovers in just a few hours.
Smiles and laughter do feel good I must admit, so that must have been a huge part of this shift.
They also said the system felt like some sort of Snes. They could not explain this but I think it has something to do with the feel of the gameplay and the polished graphics. The last MK8 dlc literally drips of production quality, showing nintendo's shops and dedication to quality over quantity.
On the other hand they were not fond of my White Wiiu. They all bought the black mk8 bundle.
I also hate my yellow Thumbsticks......

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Excuse me for not catching up with your train of thought, I didn't know that you were talking about the Wii version which ultimately sold poorly world-wide and never reached 1M units sold on a platform with 100M+ units sold, one of the biggest audiences in history. I'm sure X will do better on a platform that barely sold 10.

EDIT: Ah, you mean the Wii U game, I got confused with abbreviations there. Fair enough, okay first-week sales, we'll see what happens next. I'm not optimistic since there are only so many units out there. I will concede that X has one thing going for it - there isn't much else you could buy on the platform right now, people might as well buy X just so their Wii U's don't collect dust.

? Never been to their eshop? Lots of games worth owning. I own 20+ wiiu games digitaltnot counted. All top notch.
About 800€ spend on games.I think that amount is save to say to be the max for any wiiu owner as of now.
I seriousely doubt nintendo expect that all owners will buy every wiiu game released.
This does not mean that is a bad thing.
Why do you expect this of a console?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
? Never been to their eshop? Lots of games worth owning. I own 20+ wiiu games digitaltnot counted. All top notch.
About 800€ spend on games.I think that amount is save to say to be the max for any wiiu owner as of now.
I seriousely doubt nintendo expect that all owners will buy every wiiu game released.
This does not mean that is a bad thing.
Why do you expect this of a console?
Excuse me? You're putting words in my mouth, what I said was that the Wii U doesn't see a lot of big releases and there isn't much planned for it for 2015 and that's true. Congratulations on owning 20 eShop games? Good for you?

Reactions: TripleSMoon

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me? You're putting words in my mouth, what I said was that the Wii U doesn't see a lot of big releases and there isn't much planned for it for 2015 and that's true. Congratulations on owning 20 eShop games? Good for you?
Another issue is a lot of his eshop games are probably multi plat

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

*that we know of. It does look pretty bleak right now, but I think Nintendo has at least one big reveal for E3 (just going by history here)
I don't get why everyone says that the Wii U is horrible because it only has exclusives and 3rd party support sucks (and Nintendo fans, don't kid yourselves, it does), but yet when 3rd party games and multiplatforms show up on the eShop suddenly it's the worst things ever and Nintendo is a sellout

Reactions: Margen67

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*that we know of. It does look pretty bleak right now, but I think Nintendo has at least one big reveal for E3 (just going by history here)

I don't get why everyone says that the Wii U is horrible because it only has exclusives and 3rd party support sucks (and Nintendo fans, don't kid yourselves, it does), but yet when 3rd party games and multiplatforms show up on the eShop suddenly it's the worst things ever and Nintendo is a sellout
No I love the wiiu but I admit it has issues that hurts sales and the point I was making is that those games he has are probably on other systems which add little reason to buy a wiiu

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Or demo. I mean I thought splatoon would be a garbage game but it is fun except its overpriced.

A demo would certainly help it out.

I'm gonna ask The Game Collection when they'll dispatch for UK customers but yeah, sucks that US gamers are unfortunate to have to wait till it receives a price drop because for $60 it's not worth it.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A demo would certainly help it out.

I'm gonna ask The Game Collection when they'll dispatch for UK customers but yeah, sucks that US gamers are unfortunate to have to wait till it receives a price drop because for $60 it's not worth it.
Issue is it will tale years for it to be reasonable price

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am not one to complain about multiplats - games are games and it's better to have a bunch of multiplats than two exclusives every blue moon. Exclusivity is such an annoying concept to me, it's often used as means to glorify hardware and attach artificial value to it. People overwhelmingly own one home console, it doesn't matter if a title is exclusive or not if you only own one gaming system. Exclusives can be tie breakers every now and then, but as a consumer I believe that the hardware should speak for itself - it should be a good balance between specs, price point and developer support. I don't like it when manufacturers release sub-par consoles just because they're smug and ever so confident that their "stupid fanbase" will pick up whatever crap they release just to play their exclusive game X. I think it's disrespectful, it's treating your customers like idiots.

D

Deleted User

When great companies like Nintendo start to loose money because of piracy, then I think piracy of recent games needs to stop...

...or at least slow down/decrease.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not one to complain about multiplats - games are games and it's better to have a bunch of multiplats than two exclusives every blue moon. Exclusivity is such an annoying concept to me, it's often used as means to glorify hardware and attach artificial value to it. People overwhelmingly own one home console, it doesn't matter if a title is exclusive or not if you only own one gaming system. Exclusives can be tie breakers every now and then, but as a consumer I believe that the hardware should speak for itself - it should be a good balance between specs, price point and developer support. I don't like it when manufacturers release sub-par consoles just because they're smug and ever so confident that their "stupid fanbase" will pick up whatever crap they release just to play their exclusive game X. I think it's disrespectful.
Yes I do agree that multi plats are good and I agree with you but the issue is this guy was bragging about the library when most of the eshop games he has are on other consoles which hurts his argument of wiiu has a great library.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes I do agree that multi plats are good and I agree with you but the issue is this guy was bragging about the library when most of the eshop games he has are on other consoles which hurts his argument of wiiu has a great library.
It doesn't, no matter how you slice it. It has a couple good games, especially if you're a Nintendo fan, but the dry spells between AAA releases are just unacceptable. It's clearly on life support.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't, no matter how you slice it. It has a couple good games, especially if you're a Nintendo fan, but the dry spells between AAA releases are just unacceptable. It's clearly on life support.
Wasn't referring to wiius multiplats but to multi plats in general are good.

As for dry spells I can say the wiiu has zero AAA games other than a few remastered games from launch(which people played to death)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't referring to wiius multiplats but to multi plats in general are good.

As for dry spells I can say the wiiu has zero AAA games other than a few remastered games from launch(which people played to death)

I'd at least consider Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, and 3D World AAA. Also the 3rd party games that do exist are pretty good, like Need For Speed Most Wanted

(I hope you don't think I'm raggin on you specifically, it's just that I feel like you're the person who it would be the most interesting to have a debate with at the time :P)

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd at least consider Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, and 3D World AAA. Also the 3rd party games that do exist are pretty good, like Need For Speed Most Wanted

(I hope you don't think I'm raggin on you specifically, it's just that I feel like you're the person who it would be the most interesting to have a debate with at the time :P)
I don't. I mean they are good games and but they are not what I consider AAA when the term come to mind.

(And thanks for the compliment)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol