Nintendo Partners with Western Digital to Create Licensed Switch SanDisk Memory Cards

Nintendo and Western Digital Corporation have formed a global partnership to create Nintendo-licensed memory cards for use in Nintendo Switch video game systems. The microSDXC cards will be available in capacities of 64 GB and 128 GB, and will feature the Nintendo Switch and SanDisk logos.

San128.jpg

“Western Digital is a global leader in memory storage, and its SanDisk brand microSD cards are trusted by consumers around the world,” said Tom Prata, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives. “These new Nintendo-licensed memory cards provide significant additional storage for digital content, and in many retail locations they will be conveniently displayed alongside Nintendo Switch games and accessories.”

“As more and more amazing games and related content become available for download on Nintendo Switch, our licensed memory cards allow users to quickly and easily expand their storage,” said Sven Rathjen, Vice President of Product Marketing, Client Solutions, Western Digital. “Nintendo Switch has generated tremendous momentum, and we are thrilled to partner with Nintendo to offer consumers a trusted card for their system.”

Nintendo Switch gives players the option to supplement their system’s built-in storage, depending on how much digital content they choose to download. Ever since Nintendo Switch launched in March, the system has become home to a continually growing library of diverse downloadable games and content. Additional storage enables players to download more digital games and content, and take it all on the go. Also, a microSD card will be needed for certain Nintendo Switch games that contain an especially large amount of content and require additional storage for players to enjoy the full experience.

The Nintendo-licensed 64 GB and 128 GB microSDXC SanDisk memory cards will be available at select retail outlets starting in October 2017.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maaaaan, I could totally get behind this if they had a design on the front of the Micro SD. Even some variant of the Ultra would have been nice, just some colour y'know.
9qLGlq5.png

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
SanDisk trusted?
It's the most faked brand there is...

I wonder if Nintendo brings a 265 GB one.
maybe that's why they are faked so often, but yeah this news is kinda standard, they had Wii branded cards and dsi branded cards, funny they partner up with Lexar or toshiba for the bundled as cards usually though, I would have though the licencing contract would have garnered them access to cheaper deals to bundle cards

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice touch but I cannot see the point! No one is going to pay over the odds for a special San-Disc Nintendo memory Card. Once the packaging has been thrown away in the bin and the memory card is in your Nintendo Switch then the special Nintendo part of it all has just gone! Now, if they had thought of this back when the Nintendo Switch was first pre-ordered and released they might of sold a good few units alongside but now, its too late.. in my opinion, that honeymoon period has been and gone.

Nintendo might even roll out a new update for this so in settings under "Data Management" instead of it saying "microSD card" it will say "Nintendo microSD card" just to make you feel a bit more smug about buying one a bit like when buying Download Content for a game so when you start the game up for example Zelda Breath of Wild, it says "DLC Purchased" just so you know where your money has gone because without it you would feel a bit ripped off and sort of "where is it?" "what have I paid for?"

Last edited by Reecey,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Having worked retail, I can see there being a market for these from people who just don't know about SD cards, etc.

I regularly have to tell people they need an SD cards for the things they buy.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice touch but I cannot see the point! No one is going to pay over the odds for a special San-Disc Nintendo memory Card. Once the packaging has been thrown away in the bin and the memory card is in your Nintendo Switch then the special Nintendo part of it all has just gone! Now, if they had thought of this back when the Nintendo Switch was first pre-ordered and released they might of sold a good few units alongside but now, its too late.. in my opinion, that honeymoon period has been and gone.

Nintendo might even roll out a new update for this so in settings under "Data Management" instead of it saying "microSD card" it will say "Nintendo microSD card" just to make you feel a bit more smug about buying one a bit like with buying the Download Content so when you start the game up for example Zelda Breath of Wild, it says "DLC Purchased" just so you know where your money has gone because without it you would feel a bit ripped off and sort of "where is it?" "what have I paid for?"
It appeals to the casual consumer, which is why they did the same exact thing with the Wii. Grandma buys a switch as a birthday present for her grandkids. With a little help from a store employee, who points her in the right direction to the "remote controls" for the system while taking the opportunity to upsell the extra Nintendo-branded storage. Most stores train their employees to suggest extra items to customers, regardless of department.

There's also the fact that putting the system name and manufacturer on the packaging confirms compatibility for the doubtful or inexperienced customer; versus the cards sold a couple aisles over that do not explicitly state video game consoles on their packaging most times. Don't forget also that these things are stocked right next to the controllers and other accessories for the system, which adds to the convenience factor as well as the compatibility guarantee I stated earlier.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huh, I didn't realize WD owned SanDisk.
I'm sure these will sell, I even bought a Wii branded 1GB SD card back in the day, not sure why.
It's an easy way for parents to know the card is compatible with the Switch when they otherwise might be confused by the different sizes and standards and it will sell for that reason alone.

Trophies
XP
Huh, I didn't realize WD owned SanDisk.
I'm sure these will sell, I even bought a Wii branded 1GB SD card back in the day, not sure why.
It's an easy way for parents to know the card is compatible with the Switch when they otherwise might be confused by the different sizes and standards and it will sell for that reason alone.
1gb...
oh how times have changed.

Reactions: medoli900 and k-Pi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6rEobiPNWs