Nintendo Online cloud save service will not work for every game

switch-online-650x366.png

Though Nintendo's online service is launching soon, full information is sparse. One piece of knowledge has been revealed recently, likely accidentally due to the delayed direct, however, in regards to cloud saves. If you pay for Nintendo Switch Online, which gives you cloud save support, you might want to know that not all of your games will be compatible. Certain listings for games on Nintendo's site specify that they will not work with Save Data Cloud backup. These listings include Pokemon Let's Go, Splatoon 2, Dark Souls Remastered, Dead Cells, FIFA 19, NBA 2K19, and NBA Playgrounds.

For the above games that are multiplatform, they do indeed support cloud save support on other consoles with PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold.

Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. This game does not support Save Data Cloud backup.

:arrow: Source: Nintendo Official Site

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think the thing I personally find most amusing is that games like Fifa/NBA and Splatoon need cloud saves in the first place. I can sort of excuse Splatoon, do to Nintendo not being an account centralized platform (yet), but with the FIFA/NBA games, you would assume that the servers they are connecting to already have the information about the account anyway, and automatically connect to the servers for information about things like account level and currency.

This appears to be 100% on Nintendo's end, and I'm guessing it has something to do with them not wanting any third party servers involved with information that could be potentially permanent on the switch, for stability reasons.

D

Deleted User

For pokemon let's go and splatoon, this is understandable, as these are going to be games with online play (splatoon already does) and it would be very difficult to implement a generic cloud/online backup system. I mean, how awful would it be to backup your splatoon save and then need to restore it but be put back a few ranks (iirc the rank is stored in the save file, prob wrong there). It wouldn't surprise me for some of these titles to receive a tool that facilitates the use of the cloud system (like another pokebank or something similar for splatoon) that also prevents the abuse of game mechanics (pokebank doesn't backup entire save files that you can restore, but rather individual things). To go along with this, Nintendo will probably include an API that future developers can use in order to only backup key things in a game (like a pokebank thing).

It does kind of suck for those that for some reason need to use this and play splatoon 24/7

Last edited by ,

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For pokemon let's go and splatoon, this is understandable, as these are going to be games with online play (splatoon already does) and it would be very difficult to implement a generic cloud/online backup system. I mean, how awful would it be to backup your splatoon save and then need to restore it but be put back a few ranks (iirc the rank is stored in the save file, prob wrong there). It wouldn't surprise me for some of these titles to receive a tool that facilitates the use of the cloud system (like another pokebank or something similar for splatoon) that also prevents the abuse of game mechanics (pokebank doesn't backup entire save files that you can restore, but rather individual things).

It does kind of suck for those that for some reason need to use this and play splatoon 24/7
Erm, multiplayer games have been doing things like this for a while now. It's just you don't have a save on your computer, but rather one on their servers. If you play offline, you run with your latest save, and the next time you go online the server updates it's information. This is how achievements work on every other console, there's literally zero reason it couldn't work for profiles on splatoon.

Pokemon is a whole other monstrosity, and pokebank seems like the only reasonable solution to it, as it's an entirely separate server holding information for you, and not meant to be accessed in the same manner a save is anyway. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be challenging to keep incremental backup information about what is happening inside of it. Plus, you wouldn't get the same funtionality pokebank offers anyway without some compromises.

Reactions: Supster131

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with those who say it's dumb that Splatoon 2 isn't supported. Splatoon 2 saves all your online stats locally. That's so dumb. That's the reason people are able to cheat with their stats, because they are saved locally!
Lose your save? You lose all your online stats. All the other multiplayer games (except Mario Kart 8.. heh, another Nintendo game) I have played save online stats online. Shocking, I know. So if you lose the save data to those games, you'd lose your progress in the single player, but not your online stats!

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've never had a Minecraft save file that big, that's ridiculous.
You have clearly never explored the world to a massive extent. A standard vanilla world that has had a 4k x 4k area completely generated is about 750MB. While this may seem excessive, multiplayer makes this happen extremely quickly. Though this is the java version and some test worlds that I've generated in the past, I don't expect it to be much different for the other ported versions of the game. These are also only the actual world folder which is the regional and player data. If you were to back up the entire version, you can reach a gigabyte before even generating a world.

Mods make everything more exaggerated too, especially when you need to store those. That also includes things like custom models, which are apparently really big on console versions of minecraft. I'll just leave it at I have a 40GB minecraft folder, with all my saves from back in 1.2.1 beta days. Minecraft will eat a significant amount of space if you let it.

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This isn't Nintendo's fault lmao
ALL GAMES HAVE CLOUD SAVES ACTIVE BY DEFAULT.
It's the developer choice to block them.

Awstoned

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at it, the tl;dr is that it won't work for games with monstrously large save files, or games where the feature could be abused. It's fair enough to be honest.
What the fuck are you talking about a splat2 size I mear KB’s

There is no excuse why I can’t back up my 700 hours of splat

Reactions: DuoForce

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at it, the tl;dr is that it won't work for games with monstrously large save files, or games where the feature could be abused. It's fair enough to be honest.
What the fuck are you talking about a splat2 size I mear KB’s

There is no excuse why I can’t back up my 700 hours of splat
If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say Splatoon's rerolling for skill slots is the reason why it's not included. You'd just be able to save scum for the best stuff. Of course, this could be mitigated to some extent by forcing more of the game online and storing these things server-side, but I'm sure people would complain either way.

Awstoned

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say Splatoon's rerolling for skill slots is the reason why it's not included. You'd just be able to save scum for the best stuff. Of course, this could be mitigated to some extent by forcing more of the game online and storing these things server-side, but I'm sure people would complain either way.
It sucks I haven’t played splatoon since I’ve been banned and bought another console I really want my save file on the new switch but am afraid so transferring data from banned switch to new switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: